REVIEW: Headstage USB DAC Also Reviewed Meier HEADSIX, iBasso D1 and Headstage Lyrix
Mar 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #76 of 82
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd let you know I recently tried the sox-resampler plugin for Foobar and it works very well with the Ploytech driver and this dac cable. There's definitely more definition (less jitter) by resampling 44.1 to 48. I'm sure many of you already do this but for anyone who doesn't, it works very well for this device.

A new resampler DSP for foobar2000 - Hydrogenaudio Forums

cheers

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #78 of 82
I just wrote a post about how to use this, why it works, dpc latency, etc, and this site dumped it instead of posting it. What a pita. No way I'm typing all that again. THANKS HEAD-FI = NOT !

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #79 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wrote a post about how to use this, why it works, dpc latency, etc, and this site dumped it instead of posting it. What a pita. No way I'm typing all that again. THANKS HEAD-FI = NOT !

That's a shame as I was interested in pursuing anything having to do with Foobar sounding better. I use it almost exclusively and am not familiar with the (Polytech?)driver you mentioned. I do use the Dac cable and the same SOX re-sampler when I don't use VLC and the optical out on my laptop (which does not require down-sampling to the best of my knowledge). Is the driver you mentioned freeware or do you need to buy it. I couldn't find it by Googling so I might be spelling it wrong.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #80 of 82
yeah, annoying.

In brief, check dpc latency. Low means the usb packets get sent on time and this reduces jitter.

Free tool :

DPC Latency Checker

48khz seems to work better because it is an integer multiple from 12Mhz, the xo for usb. 48 x 250 = 12. That's to do with pll generation.

Ploytec (sorry about the spelling) isn't free unfortunately.

http://www.ploytec.com/

The 'rest' of my post can be found in the forum that has the sox-resampler.

cheers

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #81 of 82
Just an FYI - I do plan to review the Wolfson DAC cable at some point and compare to my original DAC cable. But I asked Robert for an upgraded RCA cable and he is looking into that.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an FYI - I do plan to review the Wolfson DAC cable at some point and compare to my original DAC cable. But I asked Robert for an upgraded RCA cable and he is looking into that.

I'm interested in how this works out for you. If the difference is audible, I'd likely do the same if it wasn't too much money.
(I'd like to see a double Wolfson dac version with upgraded cabling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back