Review: HeadAmp GS-X (single-ended)
Jul 13, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #16 of 23
Nice review. It was a pleasure to read, but when you say, "peerless" and "unequivocal," I find that a rather bold statement. What other amps have you heard? Wouldn't you have to hear them all to make a statement such as this?

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #17 of 23
I can never get over how neat the fully discrete circuitry in this amp looks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nice review.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 23
Super paper Asr...A-
wink.gif

I can see why your publisher asked Todd Green for you to be given a shot at reviewing the Opera, as I too would like to read that one...

Thanks for the informative well written review
wink.gif

/Hopefully the Heed/GS-1/ECSS review will be forthcoming soon?

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the great review.
I have GS-X but I never tried the GS-1, so I did not know the difference in single-ended.
Now it's clear, thanks.

Actually, if you had a chance to listen to the GS-1, I suspect you would immediately be struck more by its overall similarity to the GS-X (single-ended) rather than the differences. I'm sure there are differences, but as Asr's review more or less suggested, you might need to do a direct "A-B" comparison using a very high-end source. I'm actually quite happy with my GS-1 running from my DAC1-USB, and continue to be amazed by just how transparent, resolving and dynamic the GS-1 is. I would not hesitate recommending the GS-1 to anyone who would like to experience a "GS-X-like" sound but has to work within the constraints of a budget or other factors.

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. It was a pleasure to read, but when you say, "peerless" and "unequivocal," I find that a rather bold statement. What other amps have you heard? Wouldn't you have to hear them all to make a statement such as this?

True, I haven't heard all the solid-states out there. I generally stay away from making blanket statements for that reason but this was definitely an occasion to use those words, because when all the elements come together this well, it really is that unprecedented. As to the amps I've heard, I referenced them in the "Comparison Amplifiers" section, and there are others I've owned in the past that are listed in my profile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/Hopefully the Heed/GS-1/ECSS review will be forthcoming soon?

You mean the Heed/GL/ECSS review, right? That's going to take a while, can't post anything until I review the EC/SS for another certain site.
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #23 of 23
Nice review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Primer on the GS-X
(This review is for the amp in single-ended mode. Apologies for not being able to cover its balanced operation.)[size=xx-small]Post #4,092[/size]

If you think the GS-X is good single ended, you should hear it running balanced.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back