REVIEW: Head-Direct EF1 tube/hybrid headphone amp
Sep 12, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 94
I enjoyed this insightful review.

Skylab, do you think any useful generalizations about SQ can be made about hybrid vs. tube amps in headphone use? Or is it all down to individual design?

I'm investigating the hybrid route for my Grado RS2s and Denon D5ks, but am loathe to give up tube sound. Is this really a best-of-both-worlds approach for low-impedance cans or is something usually sacrificed?

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did make comments about the EF1 vs the KICAS in my review above
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, hope you'll be able to compare it to the Caliente
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #18 of 94
I hope so too. I loaned my Caliente to another head-fier who has now disappeared, with my Caliente in his possession
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it is better than a DIY version, but you use the same input tube, similar opamp output stage.

During 15 month R&D period, the design was changed several times. The original design is totally different, using different tube, opamp and power. We chose 12AU7 finially only because it is a very popular tube and sound not bad. In addition, let me tell you a secret: There are several Opamps in EF1, not only OP275 on the top.

Actually before you mention SOHA amp, we never heard about it. After reading its website, we are very sure that they are absolutely different. We will publish an introduction about EF1's design sometime.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 13, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #22 of 94
Quote:

Actually before you mention SOHA amp, we never heard about it. After reading its website, we are very sure that they are absolutely different. We will publish an introduction about EF1's design sometime.

That would be great. Maybe you could even display a simplified schematic of just the amp section.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 94
I wish I could say, but I do not own a W5000. But the EF-1 is pretty neutral - shouldn't be an issue.

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #26 of 94
I'm sorry to say I have not heard the CIA, but I would like to someday. I have owned other Dusty Vawter products before and liked them.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #29 of 94
Actually I think the Darths sound excellent with the EF1. This is a very good combo.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 94
The EF1 is an impressive amp in size and price. If you don't have time or skills to do a DIY, this is a fantastic option! Plus, a great intro to tube rolling. Powered my 600ohm headphones and my 32ohm headphones very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back