REVIEW: Head-Direct EF1 tube/hybrid headphone amp
Jan 2, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #47 of 94
I have a burn-in questions about the EF1(or general)
Is it enough to just leave the amp on or should i feed it with signal when im burnin in.
Should i play loud so the amp is warm or play low so it will not get as hot?
Is it ok to play music or just leave the amp on without headphones in it or do i damage it then?

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #48 of 94
The best break in is to play it with music, but it does not have to be loud at all (unless you are also breaking in new headphones).

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #49 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best break in is to play it with music, but it does not have to be loud at all (unless you are also breaking in new headphones).

I do the same, use a radio so as not to wear out a cdp or dap. Good luck.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #50 of 94
Let the burn in process begin! I just got mine from the post man. the amp actually got here yesterday but since it was new years had to wait till today for postman to deliver. I feel like a kid on christmas day! I opened the box and braced myself for a let down (i was afraid it would be much smaller). Its really a pretty substantial package though far bigger than my go-vibe and maybe just a little bigger than stax 252. It took me a minute to figure out how to seat the tube into its socket, rock it back and forth and push a little harder than I wanted to (first tube amp). The sound is very good so far. Really like the bass impact and soundstage feels a lot more 3D with more depth. I was surprised it sounds a little brighter than I thought it would right now. But that may be because I washed my akg velour pads and somehow lost 1 small foam donut from inside that dampens the sound just a bit so i removed the other donut and am currently listening without the donuts which gives a brighter sound anyway. Anyone know where to get new donut? Thanks. I cant wait to get a little more time in with this amp so far pretty impressed!

Jan 3, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #51 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks. And if i leave the HP jack empty with the amp on. will that harm it?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #52 of 94
I believe headphones need to be plugged in to complete the circuit.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #53 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe headphones need to be plugged in to complete the circuit.

That would be correct. If you aren't driving headphones, you aren't breaking in the amp.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #54 of 94
Sounds good, thanks guys

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #55 of 94
How will it drive HD600 any idea ?

someone is willing to group buy for me

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #56 of 94
I did not listen to them with HD600's, but there is no doubt it can drive them - it drives my 600 ohm Beyers fine. It seems to me it should sound good with Senns based on my memory from owning HD600's, but again I did not/cannot try it since I don't own any senns any more.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #57 of 94
Here were some reports that it drives HD6x0 so-so. Search EF-1 review threads (EF1 spelling would help also). Ask Headphoneaddict, he tried this combo.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #58 of 94
I'm still trying to determine what will be my first tube amp and I was wondering how the EF-1 compares to the Audiotailor Jade which is one that is on my list.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #59 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here were some reports that it drives HD6x0 so-so. Search EF-1 review threads (EF1 spelling would help also). Ask Headphoneaddict, he tried this combo.

I love the EF1 with low impedance cans like Grado, Denon and Ultrasone. With the HD600 it is very good but not up to the level of spaciousness and refinement as my maxed WA6. But that is unfairly comparing the EF1 to an amp 3x it's cost.

Vs other amps in it's price range, the DV336i and Grahm Slee NOVO could drive the HD600 just as well, while they weren't as good with the low impedance cans as the EF1 is. The NOVO I believe is better than the 336i with everything other than HD600, but the EF1 raises the bar just a little with everything other than HD600. These all do HD600 a little better than Travagans Red or White as well.

Changing the subject - The NOVO is the one to pick if you need to drive IEM, and I was using it with a $200 sigma 11 PSU to keep the noise down and the dynamics and soundstage up. The EF1 leaks sound with the volume down like the 3MOVE, and has channel imbalance at the lowest turn of the volume knob with IEM. The 336i was okay with IEM but not my first choice.

So in summary, it's as good as it's price range competitors (NOVO, 336i) with HD600, but I felt EF1 is a little better than them with Grado, Denon and Ultrasone and the NOVO was better with IEM.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by j24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still trying to determine what will be my first tube amp and I was wondering how the EF-1 compares to the Audiotailor Jade which is one that is on my list.

With high impedance cans I prefer the Jade. With low impedance cans I prefer the EF1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back