Review: GoVibe Mini Box Amp
Oct 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

EpicPie

500+ Head-Fier
Would love to thank Wilson over at Jaben. :)

If any of you wish to see larger resolution pictures(3648 x 2736), shoot me a PM. The picture in my review are scaled down for the review.
Click the images to see them in 640 x 480.

Packaging
Straight forward, features and information on the back.

Unboxing
Within the packaging you'll have the GoVibe Mini Box Amplifier, mini USB to USB Cable, and a Male to Male 3.5mm Jack.

Specs
Playtime: 30 Hours
Headphone impedance: 16Ω - 300Ω
Frequency Range: 10Hz ~ 100KHz
Size: 63mm*25mm*13mm
Weight: 30g

First Impressions
The amp fit nicely in my pocket. I was very surprised at how fast the charge time was from being plugged into my computer, took roughly 15 minutes(Don't take my word, not sure if the amp was pre-charged) while I was using it.
The anodized red aluminum shell is a nice touch and gives the product a clean and minimalistic look.

While charging the amp has a red LED status light on on the input side for your source, turns off when it finishes charging. The amp also has a blue LED status light when you're plugged into the output. This gives the product a nice touch in my opinion.

Using The Amp
The amp amplified all my headphones perfectly as my Microsoft Kin doesn't, go figure. :p
The amp gives off a unique sound signature I can't exactly describe it for the bass and treble but there is definitely an increase in midrange. The amp gives off a warm sound allowing you to hear miniscule details clearly by giving you an overall more "full" sound compared to an unamped source.

Note: The amp does not come with a built in volume control.

Headphones Used: ATH-A700(64Ω), MHP-839(40Ω), Ultrasone DJ1(32Ω)

Conclusion
If you need a small and portable headphone amp, I would definitely recommend the mini box for the reasons of how well it fits in your pocket without making you feel like you're carrying a brick which is the downside with some other portable amps like CMOY's. This amp is a keeper for me, I love it.

Not sure on pricing as I wasn't given any information on that.
I also couldn't find the amp it's self for sale on Jaben.net without being in a bundle.

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 35
That's a nice looking amp. How does it compare to an E6 IYO?

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 35
I think the E6 is flatter. Was just in Jaben a few days ago testing the E6 and the GoVibe Mini Box, and while I thought the Mini Box sounded good, I do think it hypes some frequencies. Like OP, I'm not sure which ones though.

Worth noting: Mini Box has no volume control. So you will be plugging this unit into the headphone jack, not line out.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 35

Quote:
I do think it hypes some frequencies. Like OP, I'm not sure which ones though.
Worth noting: Mini Box has no volume control. So you will be plugging this unit into the headphone jack, not line out.

I noticed bass and sub-bass sounded clearer but can't really decipher anything besides that.

Also, I figured looking at the product was self explanatory enough to know it doesn't have a volume control built into it. haha

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 35
^ Err but you only took photos of the Mini Box from one side, so if I didn't know better I might assume it's got a volume control (as most portable amps do).
Additionally, your DAP is unfamiliar to me--I wouldn't know if that was the headphone port or a line-out.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
Additionally, your DAP is unfamiliar to me--I wouldn't know if that was the headphone port or a line-out.

If you take a look at the 1st or 3rd photo it clearly displays arrows pointing in which way the sound goes(source to input).

Click the images to make them larger.

Oct 27, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 35
You misunderstand me. I was referring to your DAP--digital audio player--not the amp when I said it was unfamiliar to me.

Anyway the Mini Box having an input and output is the same (and necessary) for any amp; it in no way makes it obvious whether the amp had volume control or not.

I'm sorry that you don't seem willing to accept this, I was trying to help improve your coverage of a lesser known amp. I can see there's no point in discussing this further.

Unsubscribed.

Oct 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
You misunderstand me. I was referring to your DAP--digital audio player--not the amp when I said it was unfamiliar to me.
Anyway the Mini Box having an input and output is the same (and necessary) for any amp; it in no way makes it obvious whether the amp had volume control or not.
I'm sorry that you don't seem willing to accept this, I was trying to help improve your coverage of a lesser known amp. I can see there's no point in discussing this further.
Unsubscribed.

I'm fairly sure he is going from the headphone jack from his Microsoft Kin, and amping that signal. IIRC the kin doesn't have a line out.

Nice review, liked the pictures. I'd love a bit more elaboration on the SQ and how it changed.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
Unsubscribed.

I misread your post at the time, take it easy.

Quote:
I'm fairly sure he is going from the headphone jack from his Microsoft Kin, and amping that signal. IIRC the kin doesn't have a line out.

Nice review, liked the pictures. I'd love a bit more elaboration on the SQ and how it changed.

Thanks Pango.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
So, is the E6 better or GoVibe mini? I am personally going down to Jaben to test it soon, I want to see people's opinion.

I think the GoVibe mini is better in terms of sound signature.

Only cons to the GV mini is the fact there isn't a volume control on the unit it's self so you have to manually change volume through your DAP. It isn't a huge downside though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back