[REVIEW] Future Sonics Atrio M5 with MG7 transducer
Jan 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #61 of 93
I would say that the mg7 Atrios improve upon the mg5 Atrios in mids some and treble significantly while bass remains about the same.  I personally would not report much of an improvement in soundstage although the enhancements in treble help improve the overall dynamics.  I can't comment on mg7 Atrios for classical as I haven't developed an ear for it, but I find them quite adequate for jazz due to the newly added treble sparkle and (imo) best-in-class sub-bass extension.  Again, I agree that soundstage could be better, but in well mastered jazz recordings, I don't find instrument separation lacking.  Most importantly, I find the Atrios to be quite musical, more so than any other IEM I own or have owned.  

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any of the other IEM's you listed (I'd love to try out GR07's) so I'm afraid I can't offer comparison to them.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #62 of 93
@Bazirker thanks for your insight! I've heard some very similar recounts of the sound of the new MG7s, it's all very encouraging. I wish my old m5s weren't busted so I could still enjoy the sound, because I think I'm gonna try to branch out to a new signature and see how I like it (GR07 which is more analytical and balanced or FXT90 which is more musical and dynamic). Neither has the sub-bass control and extension of the Atrio but then again, not much else has :) both have excellent soundstage and separation, so that definitely wont be a step backwards.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #64 of 93
Yep, Atrio X is basically the Atrio rev.2 with the MG5 Pro driver (they are calling the MG5 Pro driver simply as MG5 now).

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #66 of 93
I don't think they are the ones with the MG7 driver and the new transducer.  These are most likely the original atrios, a totally different animal from the new.  See Jokers review as he has reviewed both models. I actually paid $150.00 for the originals back in 2007.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #67 of 93

Quote:
I don't think they are the ones with the MG7 driver and the new transducer.  These are most likely the original atrios, a totally different animal from the new.  See Jokers review as he has reviewed both models. I actually paid $150.00 for the originals back in 2007.

Well Lets hope it is. How were the Originals?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #68 of 93
I had them 4 1/2 years before they stopped working. probably a bad wire connection.  They do have great bass and good detail but the high are a little rolled off.  I used to EQ (I know a bad word around here) the highs and they worked fine.  I noticed that when commuting the bass is the first thing you loose in the audio spectrum but with the atrios the bass shines through.  They are also very dependent on the tips you use.  The lighter the foam the more high and less bass you get.  Well I liked them enough to get the new ones with the MG7 driver, most of the reviews are spot on, more mids and highs.  I put the old very light weight foams on the MG7 that I got with my atrios from 2007 and they were actually lightly sibilant, something that would never happen to the first run atrios but with the proper tips and a good recording, especially live recordings they sing.  Like many have said when the synergy and tips are right, there is not too much bass it is just right, it is how bass is supposed to sound, I hope you enjoy them

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #69 of 93

I believe it has been confirmed by another member who is in touch with FutureSonic that Atrio X is indeed Atrio rev2. with MG5 Pro, not the original Atrio. Well the original Atrio uses the same driver as the Atrio rev2 too, but Atrio rev.2 has slightly better treble extension, as claimed by FutureSonic. Some comparison between MG7 and Atrio rev2 has been included in the review on the first page as well.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #70 of 93
ClieOS- I must say that I find it hard to believe that the Atrio X uses the same MG5pro driver as the old Atrio M5 v2 or even the v1.  I purchased the Atrio X soon after they came out hoping that was the case, but the sound doesn't even come close.  Perhaps there are other factors affecting the sound.  I ended up giving the Atrio X away to my dad, who is much less discriminating when it comes to sound quality.  Perhaps I got a lemon, but they truly sounded horrible in comparison to my old v1 and v2 M5.  I'm convinced that they used the old MG5 driver that came with the FS1, or at least the batch that mine came from did...  The difference is just too great.

If you could get the old M5 for $30...oh man, that would be the deal of the century.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #71 of 93
Could be. I never listen to the Atrio X myself (shipping is a killer), but I do remember reading from another member who is in touch with FS that FS confirms to him that Atrio X is indeed using the same driver as Atrio rev2. I have had suspicious that Atrio X could be using the same MG5 driver from FS1, but I was told it is MG5 Pro driver but FS has decided to call it MG5 for simplicity. Hmm...

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #72 of 93

Quote:
Could be. I never listen to the Atrio X myself (shipping is a killer), but I do remember reading from another member who is in touch with FS that FS confirms to him that Atrio X is indeed using the same driver as Atrio rev2. I have had suspicious that Atrio X could be using the same MG5 driver from FS1, but I was told it is MG5 Pro driver but FS has decided to call it MG5 for simplicity. Hmm...

Are you sure? Because I remember talking to FS and hearing that the Atrio X was not the same as the previous MG5 driver iteration before it moved to the MG7. 
Even David Gray at FS admits its a confusing nomenclature system...

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #73 of 93
Are you sure? Because I remember talking to FS and hearing that the Atrio X was not the same as the previous MG5 driver iteration before it moved to the MG7. 
Even David Gray at FS admits its a confusing nomenclature system...

Then why are they calling it MG5 (same as the one in FS1) anyway? Why not just called MG5x instead? That's really poor marketing decision in their apart to recycle old name for new driver. Oh well :rolleyes:

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #74 of 93

Quote:
Then why are they calling it MG5 (same as the one in FS1) anyway? Why not just called MG5x instead? That's really poor marketing decision in their apart to recycle old name for new driver. Oh well
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, they really are a small company focused on serving the pro musician market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back