[Review] Focal Spirit One
Jul 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 33
Got them for about a year now and very pleased with them. There's a minor noise coming out of left hinge but not too annoying and out of the 20+ headphones I own (various kinds and makes from Grado to Sennheiser to Parrot to even Beats!) these are the ones I use the most.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 33
I am very curious on these, these are just astetichally very nice
i would almost love to own these based just on how great these look and the build quality
these are probably very near the top of my list of  which headphones to get next

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 33
Hello Maxibully,

I'll second you on that except on the "build quality" part I'm afraid. If you like to sit down for hours and enjoy prolonged sessions you might find it a little bit hot and handling the headphones many units have that little annoying sound coming out of one / the 2 hinges. Not sure whether that could be solved with just oiling it a bit, I might try that.

Sound is very good and natural indeed, attention to detail without being truly "unforgiving", maybe the cups could be a tad more comfortable. Overall a very, very nice set and as you pointed out aesthetically very nice to look at. I am guessing the build quality and the 2-3 minor little things will go away with a newer version as this -if I´m correct- is the first effort from Focal in products of this kind. 

Looks wise I have to tell you, I have it right in front of me alongside some lovely Parrot Ziks designed by Philippe Starck (!) and the Spirit still very much looks the part!

Hilsen :wink:
Fernando

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 33
Splendid review!

Got these two weeks ago,
untill now i'm really pleased with them, as others commented they need time before you can honestly judge them.

You could say theyre comparable to leather armyboots or mountainshoes they need their burn in and walk in.
Not only soundwise do they improve allot also comfortwise in my opinion.

They look great to me,
and I think the build quality is ok too ... tho I hope they use a different type of hinging on their next models, Its not  specificly bad but I wont be throwing these as much around as others ...  only because I really want this pair of lovely headphones to have a happy and very LONG life.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 33
I have listened to the focal headphones for quite a few hours as well. I did like the sound. The problem I had is I could not keep these on my head past 30 minutes. These headphones were quite tight on my head. There is no adjustments that allow it to loosen up. Some other headphones like VMODA M100 do loosen up over time and i find to be a lot more pleasing as it does not compress my head.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 33
concerning the wearing comfort of these...
I tend to wear them with the headband extended to max and positioned to the front top of my head. Each head is differently shaped but this method makes a huge difference for me.

I'm kindof forgiving of Focal because its the very first headphone they release ... not that that may be a excuse for the  bit discomfort after some time just I give them some credit and its ok for me if I wear them as shown.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1267/vn4x.jpg

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 33
I tend to wear them with the headband extended to max and positioned to the front top of my head. Each head is differently shaped but this method makes a huge difference for me.

I'm kindof forgiving of Focal because its the very first headphone they release ... not that that may be a excuse for the  bit discomfort after some time just I give them some credit and its ok for me if I wear them as shown.

I think focal will have bigger and better things coming down the road. I personally run focal car speakers and they are impressive. I hope they have utopia quality headphones in the future.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

... and its ok for me if I wear them as shown.

That is an interesting way of wearing them. I just tried them now and when I wear them in this way, my ears fit right into the pads instead of the pads resting on my ear. I will have to give them a longer listen this way but I thought I was getting a little less bass this way but it's too early to say. I will comment some more on this after a little longer of listening time wearing them this way.  Thanks for sharing.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #26 of 33

Can't stop laughing!

Thought it was a joke first.

Maybe I'm just tired, but that made me laugh a lot.

Just, please don't go out with those worn like that.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #27 of 33
I'm pleased to read that you are having a good time,

as for people that would refuse doing this because they think it looks stupid please do not.

I only share my findings so that people that might want the most comfort can have it and enjoy these good sounding headphones at the same time (to me it's a bit like 'making love' just find the right position).

Another important reason I share this is because Focal gathers feedback from forums like Head-fi  and they take note of what should change on upcoming models for the consumers sake and comfort ..And they did this you should check out the spirit professional and spirit classic.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #28 of 33
I totally get your points. But, that was fun to see at first sight. I instantly imagined someone walking on the street with their headphones worn like that. Since headphones are so simple to wear, this would have been a case of insanity.

Again, I understand your act and reasons for that, and I can't agree more than we have to experiment a lot to find the perfect position/spot/etc.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #29 of 33
I had them for a few months and loved them. Then I noticed some cracks on the plastic headband on several places so I returned them since I lost all confidence in the building quality of these headphones. I went with a pair of Sennheiser Momentum instead and I feel that they are an improvement on all aspects - built quality, sound and confort.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #30 of 33
Having been a long time user of Focal products (PS5.1 8 years, followed by Electra 926 8 years), and even longer term dreamer of Grande Utopia's I almost jumped to try the headphones. I liked the sound from the first moment, hearing an improvement over my long time companion Shure 530, especially in the bass area. However the pleasure has been spoilt when after only one month the paper this plastic strip blocking the left hinge gave way and I had to add more and more glue to keep it there. Instead of listening I had to wait for the glue to settle. In another two months the same thing happened to the other side. After having tried many types of glue I have discovered, that as the back had been finally fixed the ball broke through the front plastic wall. Well, for the headphones advertised as portable and only used at home this quite an achievement. As the headphones were still under the guarantee I went to the shop to ask for help - after a month I only got a message that this was not covered by the guarantee. Well, nice way of getting rid of 890 RM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back