[Review] Focal Spirit One
Mar 19, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #31 of 33
  Having been a long time user of Focal products (PS5.1 8 years, followed by Electra 926 8 years), and even longer term dreamer of Grande Utopia's I almost jumped to try the headphones. I liked the sound from the first moment, hearing an improvement over my long time companion Shure 530, especially in the bass area. However the pleasure has been spoilt when after only one month the paper this plastic strip blocking the left hinge gave way and I had to add more and more glue to keep it there. Instead of listening I had to wait for the glue to settle. In another two months the same thing happened to the other side. After having tried many types of glue I have discovered, that as the back had been finally fixed the ball broke through the front plastic wall. Well, for the headphones advertised as portable and only used at home this quite an achievement. As the headphones were still under the guarantee I went to the shop to ask for help - after a month I only got a message that this was not covered by the guarantee. Well, nice way of getting rid of 890 RM.

Sad to hear your experience! Why wasn't covered by insurance? In my case it wasn't any problems.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 33
These headphones have one of the most interesting sound signatures out of the many headphones that I have tried. They benefit greatly from a mid scooped U EQ to gain the best overall sound quality out of them. By default the high end is quite reserved, but you can EQ pretty much crystal clear highs into these just by dropping the mids a little, and you can raise the bass quite substantially without clipping which gives it a nice sizzle and punch.

They have to be about the most U shaped headphones I've ever owned and benefit greatly from a U shaped EQ in order to smooth them out into something that is actually more flat. There is a lot of clarity that is missing from the high end that can be gained by a simple EQ tweak.

They become a totally different set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back