Review! Fischer Audio's FA-004
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #152 of 236
Has anyone found a way to get better isolation with these? I've used them on bus trips and it's terrible, the sound of the interstate and people talking around me make it hard to enjoy music unless I turn it up to ear-hurting volumes. Has anyone found a way to increase isolation or have some ideas?

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #153 of 236

Quote:
Has anyone found a way to get better isolation with these? I've used them on bus trips and it's terrible, the sound of the interstate and people talking around me make it hard to enjoy music unless I turn it up to ear-hurting volumes. Has anyone found a way to increase isolation or have some ideas?

I switched the pads to the Shure DJ750 replacement pads.  http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC750-Replacment-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00305H3VG

They're a little thicker and larger than the stock pads but they fit.  This is on a Brainwavz HM3, but i'ts the same housing at the very least.   Isolation still isn't great, but it's much better.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #154 of 236

Quote:
Nice to hear, kABUZi.. glad it worked out for you!

Hey! Again, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have done it if you hadn't shared your experiment.

Quote:

I switched the pads to the Shure DJ750 replacement pads.

Interesting! Could you give us your take on any changes to the sound with the Shure pads?
Also, how much bigger are they? Were it be noticeable for someone who is not familiar with the headphones? These are pleather, right?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I have been looking for some more comfortable pads.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #155 of 236

Quote:

Hey! Again, thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have done it if you hadn't shared your experiment.

Interesting! Could you give us your take on any changes to the sound with the Shure pads?
Also, how much bigger are they? Were it be noticeable for someone who is not familiar with the headphones? These are pleather, right?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I have been looking for some more comfortable pads.

The bass gets a little deeper, but the mid bass hump also is a little more prominent.  Probably just the because of the thicker pad and better isolation. Mids and treble seems unchanged, but soundstage is a little better as well imo since the drivers are a little farther away from your ear.  Don't have time tonight, but I'll post some comparison pics tomorrow.  Btw just received the Incipio f38's and it's the same sound sig from a quick a/b as the Brainwavz HM3.  Cheaper than the Braiwavz and more readily available atm with color choices if that's your thing.

pics:

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #156 of 236
Thanks for the feedback, I for one would love to see the pics.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #157 of 236
Added pics.  Shure DJ750 pads are a little loose on the cup but they don't fall off unless you pull them off.

I had posted a thread a while back looking for any suggestions for replacement pads.  I got zip for suggestions, so I just bought a few random replacement pads that were round.  Luckily enough the Shure pads worked for me.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #159 of 236
Shadow419, you're a star!

The shure pads, at least, look like they're that more comfortable. I just placed an order for a pair of them.

The white Incipio's with the larger pads look very nice indeed.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #161 of 236
Hey,

New head-fier reporting in! I jumped the gun and ordered Ace MP-68 which seems to be the same phone as fa-004. They were on sale and I had a coupon that dropped the price to 12 euros (including shipping). Too bad I can't compare to fa-004 to actually verify if they are the same.

I'll post my opinion once they arrive and I have a little time for them.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #162 of 236
Ok. Initial impressions (Seems to be the same as fa-004): 

Comfort: I need a bigger head! It is hard to adjust them well. The pads are terribly thin and hard. Also the headband is bad on my head. Compared to CAL! they are a lot worse. CAL! has more 3-d style adjust compared to ACE on which only headband adjusts up or down. Compared to AKG k240 or superlux hd681 they are even worse that which is not a surprise. Although they are quite light and I think I might got used to them.

Portability: These are small full sized cans. They are just barely circumaural. They don't have any folding mechanisms even though they seem to be meant as semi-portable.

Sound: Sq is great for the price. Although same par on CAL!, hd-681 and AKG k240 mkII. I think it might be a little more detailed than hd-681 and CAL but I am not sure.
Bass is a little pronounced but quite punchy. Overall sound signature is quite fun and easy to listen. 
I think that they need amp though. Xpressmusic phone that I have can barely give enough volume and somehow the male vocals seemed a little recessed on some songs. Using O2 I had no problem.

Overall: Terrible comfort without any real means of adjust. Sound quality is great given the price. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #163 of 236

Quote:
Shadow419, you're a star!

The shure pads, at least, look like they're that more comfortable. I just placed an order for a pair of them.

The white Incipio's with the larger pads look very nice indeed.

Any update on the pads and if you liked them?

Since I have two of basically the same headphone, I'm planning on a few little mods.  Going to try playing with a little plasticine in the cups and the foam removal mod.  With two of the same it will be easier to a/b and figure out if the mods do anything for me.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #164 of 236
There is something about these little beasts but I can't put my finger on it. I just keep using them all the time. The sound is more detailed than CAL! and friends. Haven't used k240 for a while so can't compare to them. Sound quality is also nice and they have some magic in them because they fool me to think that Ozzy Osbourne can actually sing.

All good things come with a price though. I can almost think that wearing pvc pipes on your ears feels more comfortable. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #165 of 236

Quote:
There is something about these little beasts but I can't put my finger on it. I just keep using them all the time. The sound is more detailed than CAL! and friends. Haven't used k240 for a while so can't compare to them. Sound quality is also nice and they have some magic in them because they fool me to think that Ozzy Osbourne can actually sing.

All good things come with a price though. I can almost think that wearing pvc pipes on your ears feels more comfortable. 

I know what you mean.  I was completely surprised at how well these sound.  I took a chance on Brainwavz HM3 because they were on sale for $40 on Amazon a while back.  Better pads made them my most used headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back