Review! Fischer Audio's FA-004
Jan 4, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #91 of 236

Quote:
I'm curious how these compare to the sr80i and ad700...

IMHO, they kill the SR80i. The FA-004 is also more comfortable.

Quote:
Hi Mr LFF, 
                 I'm just curious, if you have tried the Titans yet? I'm interested in both but not sure whats the main difference btw them.

Unfortunately I have not tried the Titans at all.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #94 of 236
Bugden is in Canada and ships to the US.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #95 of 236
I contacted Bugden, there's a 10% discount on the FA-004 with this code :  'HF004BLK'  .

Part of the email they sent me:
If you place an order and use the 'HF004BLK' sans quotes you will receive 10% off your cart. Please feel free to share this, it works for anyone who purchases the FA-004 Black.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #96 of 236
LFF or anyone else.. have you guys found any other earpads that can be fitted on the 004s provided they don't warp the sound too much? I really love everything about them except for the fact my ears get sweaty around the area the pads make contact with my head.  Besides that, these are some great, fun sounding cans that bring some gentle but impactful bass w/o sacrificing midrange & treble rendering.. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #97 of 236
Hey Piliomon,
Wondering how you'd compare these to the similarly priced (with Bugden discount) T50RPs you've been working on, both modded and unmodded! I've been planning on getting the T50RPs if they ever get back in stock but this one also looks like a great deal but maybe not in the same league? Just wondering :wink:

Quote:
I thought these sounded fine, and with no glaring flaws in the frequency which I would disapprove. I would recommend these headphones for those seeking a headphone in this price range. 

My two complaints against this headphone include comfort, and its plastic material. I can't wear the FA004 for long periods because my ears and the area around become too painful (the pads are not soft enough I guess, not sure). And the plastic materials seem pretty cheap, which wouldn't keep me from buying a headphone, but the plastic material can creek which is a minor nuisance.

Also, I would like to note that these sounded very boomy out of the box, but sounded fine after I burned them in for a day.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #98 of 236
How do they work unamped?
LFF have you used them with your sansa clip + unamped?
Have you used them for gaming too? From what i gathered from your review
they seem good for gaming , good soundstage , bass and imaging .
Greets nvb

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #99 of 236
Initial Impressions

Received my FA-004's about two weeks ago directly from www.bugdenaudio.com and I had a 10% discount code, so with shipping to U.S. from Canada they were under $70 USD. They were shipped in their own box not double boxed-they did survive but one side was crushed slightly but luckily the HP was not damaged. I ordered the Black/Silver color and I must say they're pretty ugly but this may save someone from stealing them; so if looks are important to you you may want the Brown/Gold color.  The coiled cord is very nice measuring about 30" coiled to from 9' to 10' uncoiled and I believe it is about the thickness for this size headphone. I find the headphone to be quite comfortable with about the same cup size the Denon D1001, the memory type foam in the earpads is nice but I think could be a little thicker. The build quality is up to the standards of best Japanese companies in the $40-$50 USD range, it could be a little sturdier, but none of the plastic pieces are flimsy to the touch and the headband is reinforced with steel. So all-in-all the build quality is not great but with a little care I could see it lasting for years.

The Good

Some initial listening was done right out of the box, the midrange through the highest high-end were very promising but the bass response of any kind was MIA. For my system set-up and music please refer to my thread on "Official JVC RX 700 thread". I have burned-in the HP's for abou 36 hrs. with music-hope to do about at least 100 hrs. soon. From the midrange through the high-end there a very few complaints. The midrange is prominent and very detailed-some of the best I've heard; all female and male singers are rendered faithfully with no chestiness and stringency detected.  The upper midrange through the highest high-end sounds wonderful with all instruments in these ranges rendered faithfully. The highest high- end can not float in space like my vintage DT990 does, but it is close and the best I've heard in an enclosed HP. The soudstage is fairly deep from front to back with good localization of instruments and the width of soundstage was good but not great-didn't defy the laws of physics.

The Bad

The problems I have with the right now are mainly in the bass areas. The sub-bass is present but not very prominent, The midbass is better than the sub-bass but there is not much of a bass slam that I like to hear in my rock songs. For this type of of bass my Philip HP910's are great. The midbass may be more monitor-like and more accurate though. The largest problem I have right now is the upper bass through the lower midrange which seemed to be a little threadbare and not very fleshed out. this frequency range effects quite a few musical instuments such as violin (acoustic stringed instruments) and some percussion instruments such as piano-these frequency ranges are rendered very well in a HP like my JVC RX700. So with these problems the sound is disjointed between the upper bass and lower midrange areas. Hopefully these areas will be cleared up to my satisfaction with more burn-in.

Wrap Up

So to wrap things up I'll place values from 1 to 10 scale.
Build Quality: 6/10
Value for the Money: 7/10
Sound Quality: 7/10
The SQ value is subject to change and hopefully it will. I also listened a small amount of music on a portable device which would be a Creative Labs Zen player. With lossless files the FA-004 sounded great. with 320kps files with no EQing and bass boost off the SQ was o.k., anything less than this sampling rate sounded awful. Would I buy these FA-004's at the price I paid for them again-"yes I would". As "LFF" expessed in his initial musings, asking if the FA-004 was a monitor grade HP-he said "no"; is it close to monitor-grade "yes". I  will have to agree with this. Happy Listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #101 of 236

Quote:
How do they work unamped?
LFF have you used them with your sansa clip + unamped?
Have you used them for gaming too? From what i gathered from your review
they seem good for gaming , good soundstage , bass and imaging .
Greets nvb

They work wonderful unamped. I use them unamped with my Clip+ all of the time.

I have also used them for gaming and they are superb for that. For longer gaming times, I prefer the extra comfort of the FA-003 though.

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #104 of 236
Ok first impressions :
Definitly better than my m50´s
They have a much more controlled sound while mainting a good bass response
, that is only slighty far from ideal for me.
Their mids are much better , they are very crispy and foward  , and they sound open-ish
Their soundtsgae is much bigger than the m50s and they  are beastly with acoustic music.
Their higs are way too sparkly for gaming but i haven´t tried a btter source than my onboard soundcard
they are my main  portables right now
BTW: they sound ok with 196 kbps mp3 files

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #105 of 236

Quote:
Ok first impressions :
Definitly better than my m50´s
They have a much more controlled sound while mainting a good bass response
, that is only slighty far from ideal for me.
Their mids are much better , they are very crispy and foward  , and they sound open-ish
Their soundtsgae is much bigger than the m50s and they  are beastly with acoustic music.
Their higs are way too sparkly for gaming but i haven´t tried a btter source than my onboard soundcard
they are my main  portables right now
BTW: they sound ok with 196 kbps mp3 files

hd25-1 ii are no match? that sounds like a very interesting can ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back