Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
May 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #4,141 of 4,469
Ahhhh....*$%#@,
Went to listen to my DBA-02's last night and the right channel is sounding very muted and low on volume.  I checked to see if there was any wax build up and there was a tiny bit in the tube but nothing that should cause any issues.  This is highly annoying as I have babied these since day 1 (early March) and have only used them for listening when I am either sitting down or in bed, they have never left the house.  After doing some looking through this thread it looks like I am in for a long wait on replacements which is a bummer because I really really like the DBA-02's.  I am back to listening to my RE0's which are my kick around IEM's.  I have to say that the RE0's, which seem to get questionable reviews on build quality, just keep trucking along even though they get the snot beaten out of them.  

I have filled out the form on the Bugden Audio site as well as replying to the e-mail I received when they shipped them to me.  Hope this gets sorted quickly.

Cheers,
Jim

May 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #4,146 of 4,469
Did reterminating affect the sound at all or was there a malfunction?

May 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #4,147 of 4,469
The Shure tips are slightly of harder material but once you get a good seal there's slightly more bass response compared to the stock silicon tips. Also just becareful when putting them on cause the stem itself is quite tight fitting to fit the nozzle.

There was a malfunction cause my jack tore at the joint causing the wire to break hence causing one side to be disconnect. So it was more of replacement than an upgrade. Wanted to get the Viablue one but was advised not to cause of the bulkyness.

May 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4,148 of 4,469
Just ordered my DBA-02's from GD-Audiobase!
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #4,149 of 4,469
Quote:
Weapon of choice : Fischer Audio Dba-02 w/ Shure grey flex and Neutrik silver jack.

Interesting. My go-to DBA's are identical, except that I used black insulation for the strain relief, and I was able to find a gold-tipped Neutrik.

My Fischer cable has stiffened near the housings to the point (after probably 1000+ hours of use) that the ear guides now make sense keep the wires properly looped over my ears.

May 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #4,151 of 4,469

Quote:
Faulty DBA-02 return progress lol
biggrin.gif

Sent Apr 15th.
Reached Moscow for customs 26/27th Apr
Finished with customs 4th Apr
Being 'Sorted' in SPB since the 5th of May. (5 days now
biggrin.gif
)

This is the slowest processing of mail that I've ever seen.

Order an Sflo2 from MP4 nation.

May 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #4,155 of 4,469
I've always had the best fit with the hybrid/green tips and it's a pretty well accepted that (regardless of tip used) a deep fit/seal is required to get the best sound out of these.  Well last night, I decided to go against this insertion principle.. opting to insert them just as far in as required to get a full (outer) ear seal.  After finding that sweet spot, I angled the nozzle upward so it would follow the form of the inner ear structure.  Basically, the DBA's housing nub sat just below the bump that is midway along the rim of my ear.  Note, I had music playing through the DBA so I could determine just where the insertion depth "sweet spot" was.

What I experienced in terms of overall improvement in sound was nothing less than a revelation to my ears.  Even before this, I loved the DBA sound and felt it had sufficient bass texture.. but the decay and impact from the lower midrange to sub bass frequencies could've stood to improve.  This "looser" fit (still a firm & secure enough seal for activity, though) resulted in such an improvement in those specific areas that the DBA has now become supremely balanced.  The signature brighter, crisp sound maintains but the bass is livelier since presence across all the lower frequencies improved drastically.  The low end still shows off its speed but I'm able to enjoy it more since their is more weight to go along with that quickness.

What I was really excited about was that despite not seating the phones deeper, the treble & midrange presentation remained detailed, tonally accurate, and not distorted.  There was no hollowness or sibilance that emerged due to this different fit.  Soundstage also improved w/o smearing the imaging.

These phones still do not cease to amaze me with their prowess.. with this tweak in the low end sound they've now become my favorite phones for practically ANY genre I listen to.  I can really appreciate their fast crisp sound more now since the bass has sufficiently been "filled in."

I'm going to be ordering some customs this weekend and was all set to go with one that has been described as a "refined DBA with better bass", the JH5pro.. well I'm so impressed with how much better my DBA's sound now that I'll have to revisit my custom choice.

We've discussed DBA fitment and its importance quite a bit in the thread but I decided to revisit it after consulting with LFF on a custom choice.  He's got an excellent top tier custom and mentioned he still prefers his DBA to it most of the time.. high praise right there.

Obviously YMMV.. but I was pleasantly surprised by revisiting DBA insertion techniques... not only is insertion depth important but so is the angle at which the nozzle sits.. for me anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back