Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #3,767 of 4,469
yep. It's supposed to be the one difference between it and the AT. Impedance adapters (series resitors) reduces damping factor, efficiency and will make it sound less etched. In multi ways it should change the Xover points because the impedance of the circuit is different. Doubling an impedance will double  or half a xover frequency. This are very gentle slopes involved so it doesn't sound broken but it's clearly not what you bought. I personally don't like the idea and would rather buy something I didn't feel needs help. I defer to those that like them and with single BAs that don't need much damping factor, it's probably fine. Personal opinion and no offense intended.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #3,768 of 4,469
Some thoughts on DBA-02 vs. RE0 from memory: Despite many people rating DBAs above RE0 in sound quality, I will rate them on par and maybe even rate RE0 slightly above DBA-02. However, RE0 needs to be amped well to fully compete with DBA-02. Unamped, RE0s lack of dynamics and bass definition is a deal breaker for me with a lot of music. However, even unamped RE0 is still better than DBA-02 for certain music genres, such as smooth jazz, where smoothness and delicacy in the mids and highs are of utmost importance. DBA-02 cannot compete with RE0 in mids and treble smoothness. When amped, RE0 gains a lot of definition in the bass and mids, the dynamic range expands and it becomes a true top tier IEM that can compete with anything IMO. Amped, RE0 may beat DBA-02, unless DBA-02 will scale just as well. Not saying it will happen, but it is very possible.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #3,769 of 4,469

i respectfully, but definitely disagree with your opinion Pianist...

im no 'audiophile' so im not very good at explanations but ive been using the RE0 for over half a year. i love their sound, the highs on these things are just amazing, but i knew that i would prefer something else later on with more bass and overall balance. im going on 1 week with the DBA-02 and they really are on another level from the RE0.

the highs on the RE0 are simply better. not by much, really just barely but they are better. its with everything else that the DBA-02 just stomps the RE0's with. i noticed from my first listen with the DBA's that the highs werent as extended as the RE0. i was a little disappointed at first honestly, but after getting used to them and doing an A/B test with the RE0 was when i was truly amazed and appreciated the sound of the DBA's. the bass and mids on the DBA make me feel more like if im really on location, listening to an artists performance. next to the DBA's, the RE0 sounds like a really good pair of bright headphones. im trying to say that the DBA's make you 'feel' the music especially next to the RE0.

so yeah, thats more of a brief comparison really but to me, the DBA-02 is easily a step above the RE0, but im still keeping my RE0's around for work, working out and anything else where i wont lose or damage my DBA's.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3,770 of 4,469
^ X2

Me and Pianist hearing the same?  
eek.gif
  Unheard of!  I was stunned to find agreement w/ Pianist's initial impression of the DBA so X2 on that.  As I've read further on the ER4P/S/RE0 it's gone from X2 to X1.5, X1, X?  
wink_face.gif
  There is no debate that the RE0 has the ultimate edge rendering that last bit of treble detail w/ it's air and thinness.  But it is minor relative advantage to the enormous balance and realistic, natural timbre advantage the DBA has.  I did enjoy the ER4S as I owned it twice but the DBA caused me to kick it to the curb.  Again.  Fyi, I never had issue getting bass from the ER4 so that wasn't the problem.  Ultimately the ER4 always sounded like a BA and the DBA sounded like music/life!  So I could forgive the slight roll-off around 30hz.  After all, the Arrow amp bass boost fixes that with a single click more proficiently than any other BB I have heard and chosen not to use.  It was also the first and only multi driver IEM not to bother me w/ it's Xover till I heard the ES5 and IERM though I need to listen to the latter more to be sure.  I also have to say the ER4P had rather severe issues I couldn't get past w/o the 'essential' impedance of the S/S-adapter.  The Ety does also have a 1-2 dB isolation advantage over my DBAs w/ Klipsch gels as well.  I can and do live w/ that.     

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #3,771 of 4,469

How do the RE0's sound with the Arrow/bass boost?  I just received my RE0's and can't live with the lack of bass...I also just ordered the Arrow 12 HE..Thanks for any input.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ X2

Me and Pianist hearing the same?  
eek.gif
  Unheard of!  I was stunned to find agreement w/ Pianist's initial impression of the DBA so X2 on that.  As I've read further on the ER4P/S/RE0 it's gone from X2 to X1.5, X1, X?  
wink_face.gif
  There is no debate that the RE0 has the ultimate edge rendering that last bit of treble detail w/ it's air and thinness.  But it is minor relative advantage to the enormous balance and realistic, natural timbre advantage the DBA has.  I did enjoy the ER4S as I owned it twice but the DBA caused me to kick it to the curb.  Again.  Fyi, I never had issue getting bass from the ER4 so that wasn't the problem.  Ultimately the ER4 always sounded like a BA and the DBA sounded like music/life!  So I could forgive the slight roll-off around 30hz.  After all, the Arrow amp bass boost fixes that with a single click more proficiently than any other BB I have heard and chosen not to use.  It was also the first and only multi driver IEM not to bother me w/ it's Xover till I heard the ES5 and IERM though I need to listen to the latter more to be sure.  I also have to say the ER4P had rather severe issues I couldn't get past w/o the 'essential' impedance of the S/S-adapter.  The Ety does also have a 1-2 dB isolation advantage over my DBAs w/ Klipsch gels as well.  I can and do live w/ that.     

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3,772 of 4,469
The bass boost on the Arrow is the best I've heard yet in a portable amp.  Should help out the RE0 immensely.  Whether it will be enough is for you is another question.  Give it a listen before you give up on the RE0 and let us know what you think when the Arrow comes in.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3,773 of 4,469
Thanks for the reply...I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival..got an email saying the order is "in processing," but I understand it takes some time for them to arrive...I am seriously considering the dba-02's if the RE0's don't work out for me.  I'm not a basshead, but I do enjoy a nice bottom end...The bass boost circuit is what sold me on the arrow...Thanks again.

Steve

Quote:
The bass boost on the Arrow is the best I've heard yet in a portable amp.  Should help out the RE0 immensely.  Whether it will be enough is for you is another question.  Give it a listen before you give up on the RE0 and let us know what you think when the Arrow comes in.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3,774 of 4,469
OK, I'm a noob to this, so sorry if this sounds dumb.  I'm getting an RE0 but I don't have an amp for it.  Can I achieve a good result by just EQing more bass for it?

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #3,776 of 4,469
The DBAs are really transparent. For those complaining about the bass and thinks they already got a good fit, try a different source. I'm getting a great match with my Archos 70 8gb with its balanced sound, way better than Sansa Fuze and Nokia N82.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #3,779 of 4,469

Quote:
Ultimately the ER4 always sounded like a BA and the DBA sounded like music/life!  So I could forgive the slight roll-off around 30hz. 

YES! That is the reason I am so enamored with the DBA-02!!! The only other IEM to sound like "music/life" to me was the JH-13. The slight bass roll-off is easily fixed with a little surgical EQ and for most music, it's not even needed. The tonal accuracy, precise imaging and natural sound on these makes them ideal for those audiophiles who appreciate a speaker/headphone/iem that can make an amazing recording sound like a "real life" performance. In my experience, that ability to transform a great recording into a real life event is something that is rare and often, very expensive. The DBA-02's price is very little money to pay to have certain artists resurrected from the dead and perform just for you.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #3,780 of 4,469

I think you guys would love the sennheiser mx980, in case you like earbuds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back