Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #3,736 of 4,469
Try them with the small black tips inserted deep... sibilance is there :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3,737 of 4,469
Quote:

first impression were the mids and bass. the only analytical experience ive had is the RE0 and Etymotic MC5 and these easily beat those two out altogether. the only thing that i noticed right away was that the highs on the DBA's aren't as crisp and extended as the RE0. they are still very bright and clear however. i did an A/B comparison after about 45 minutes with these and the RE0 and i was very surprised at how much more balanced the DBA's are compared to the RE0. these IEM's really are pretty amazing.

Oh, yes you are right - RE0 does have better treble than DBA, but DBA is pretty close.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #3,738 of 4,469

Quote:
Just to let others know that zococity.es have these and do sell them to mainland europe(their website says Iberia only), I have got them from them and I'm in Ireland.
http://www.zococity.es/product/233/0/0/1/1/Fischer-Audio-DBA-02.htm

It's probably worthwhile using google translate just to help if your Spanish isn't the best. The order precedure is a little complex when I ordered as I had to pay via the 'Seur' delivery method (€8) and pay an additional €4 via paypal. From the email I received, here are the details:

1. Shipping to Ireland would be 12 euros with Fedex and its a fixed price. That means that no matter how many things you order it will be 12 euros. To make your order and get it shipped to Ireland just enter in our site (www.zococity.es), select the product/s and while processing put a spanish post code and city (for example, Valencia 46020), select shipping through 'Seur' (which costs 8 euros) and payment with credit card or Paypal. Afterwards, send me an email telling me your real adress and send the the 4 euros missing of the shipping to our Paypal account info@zococity.com.

When entering in customer details here is what I used for signing up to this page http://www.zococity.es/customer_data.aspx

Email: your email address
Cliente: Particular
Nombre: Your First Name
Apellidos Empressa: Your Surname
NIF/CIF: 000000
Direccion: Irish Street Address
C.P.: 46020
Localidad: IRELAND
Pais: Espana
Provincia: Valencia
Telefono: Irish phone number
Telefono Movil:

It's probably worthwhile contacting them directly and see if the above procedure still is correct or if there is other methods of payment. Also there might be different shipping costs to other countries so best contact them above to clarify.

I haven't been able to reach a full judgement on them as I've an ear infection but in my one good ear they surpass my re0 with less microphonics than them and have very good isolation better than my shure olive tips on my se110. They are a bit awkward to get into that sound sweet spot of the ear and stay there but I haven't tried all the different tips included to see which works best for me, failing that I will try some of the tips mentioned here.

Zococity also selling DDM, I am wondering if any one on this forum got DDM from Spain. For EU members  should be easier buying this from Spain vs Japan....

http://www.zococity.es/product/141/0/0/1/1/Radius-W-Pro-Rojo.htm

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #3,739 of 4,469

Quote:
 The high on the other end bothers me. I haven't read a whole lot of complains in this department but the thing is really sibilant with the small black tip that I'm using (best fit for me, will try the foam tip suggested later when I figure out which model I need to get, don't know if that will improve things or not). Sibilance has never bothered me in the past (and I've owned TF10 and Westone 3, 2 phones with a lot of sibilance complains) but this pair of DBA just has the sharpest high I've ever heard. Does anybody else have the same experience?

The reason I've sold them.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #3,740 of 4,469
Mmm yes, these small tips are nice. Much more comfortable and easier to quickly achieve a fit than the triples. Listening to David Gilmour in FLAC right now on my Cowon D2+ and it is great. I thought for a minute the DBAs were making some buzzing noises, but it may have just been the song o_O Can't wait to AB these with the CK10s.

Is mostly everyone running flat EQ with these? Or taming the treble in slightly? I get hints of sibilance occasionally. Also, does anyone get mild hissing?

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3,741 of 4,469
hissing is definitely there on songs that have them. It's never been more obvious on any other phnoes though.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #3,742 of 4,469

I've got to agree, the single flange small tips are great. Same sound as the triple flange tips with added comfort, a bit less isolation.

Regarding depth, angle, of insertion, I can't seem to notice the differences mentioned here. As with the majority of comments regarding tips of the same type, it is my opinion that it all comes down to the fit and seal obtained: either it is good or it isn't. The sound doesn't get better or worse, it just becomes the right (proper seal) or the wrong sound (improper seal).

Comply foams are different. Great isolation but, so far, I'm having trouble considering them an upgrade from the silicone tips: I find the bass lacking impact, a general loss of detail, separation, sparkle, producing a warmer, denser sound that just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. I'll use them for the rest of the week to check if it is a case of brain burning :)

Deep insertion makes it better, but take away the confort.

Regarding the DBA-02, best thing I've heard, much better, IMO, than the RE0 I was using before: more balance (!), detail, separation, speed, soundstage, texture. The highs on the RE0 are better, though.

No hissing or sibilance problems whatsoever.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,743 of 4,469
^^ @ striker

Do you trim the overhang (the foam that sticks out past the core) of the Comply?

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #3,744 of 4,469
Shane, what is the cheapest place to get comply p-200(is that the model you suggested)?

Also do you get the slim or normal and how often you replace it?

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #3,746 of 4,469
I have found that Shure Triple flange sound better than the Complys and isolate nicer. The mount hole is really small so it is a really tight fit, so they hold on really well. I also trimmed the center down so the largest flange has the fit like the original triple flanges that came with the DBA-02s. These Shures isolate just a tad bit better. Not by much. The biggest advantage to the Shures is they give it a warmer little more bassy sound. I am still gonna be using both the Shures and the Complies but I rather use the Complies for Rock and other really detailed music that doesn't require the warmth, the triples for most other music styles.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #3,748 of 4,469

Am using the small black tips and get a good, deep insertion. Sibilance hasnt been a problem for me. It sounded really bright at first, coming from my RE0, but I guess I've adjusted to it already and am enjoying them a lot
Quote:
Try them with the small black tips inserted deep... sibilance is there :frowning2:

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3,749 of 4,469
With a nice, deep fit the DBA-02 doesn't have any sibilance guys. It sounds very natural and almost neutral, except for some slight warmth in the mids and bass, which I love. Listening to DBA-02 feels like a luxury to me - it's just so darn musical and involving.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #3,750 of 4,469
And hissy! I need to test these on a different source other than my Cowon D2+. They're gonna get the boot if this keeps up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back