Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #2,942 of 4,469
Quote:
Anyone know if these tips will fit the DBA-02? http://www.earjobs.com.au/products/etymotic-er6i-small-blue-3-flange-tips

Also, i want to know if the DBA and eterna have the same nozzle size, so i can swap tips around.

Those Etymotic tips will fit the DBA-02. There are several head-fi-ers who swear by that combination as best for their ears. (I'm not one of them. I prefer the stock single flanges or Shure gray "soft flex" singles.)

leonsphinx has already answered your second question. Note that joker's comprehensive reviews include the nozzle diameter.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #2,943 of 4,469
     Quote:
Originally Posted by leonsphinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cant comment on the first issue.
I have both the DBA and eterna. The Eterna's have a much larger nozzle compared to the DBA's so you wont be able to use them interchangeably. Am using my RE0 bi-flange tips with my Eternas while I use the small stock single flange tips on my DBA. YOu just have to insert them deeper to get a good seal, with the DBA's.

This man speaks the truth. I just use the small stock single flange tips. Anyone has any experience on the Shure single flange's on the DBA's?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #2,944 of 4,469

Quote:
I have to admit that when LFF compred to the JH-13, I also had my doubts. Haven't heard the new Westones but JH-13s are the best I have.

I had my doubts when I first read the review but decided to buy anyway with the option of selling it if I did not like it and knowing the limited supply I could get near what I paid for. I found them worth the price of admission but unfortunately I had to sell mine to cover other costs at the time. After buying the DBA-02 and the FA-003 which were both reviewed by LFF I no longer have any doubts :p

Regarding tips you can fit the larger nozzled ones if you use a spacer in between such as the stalk from a triple flange, comply core or anything similar.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #2,945 of 4,469
Ok, blimey, first impressions of the DBA-02's.

The DBA-02 packaging is so insignificant, especially compared to the Monster Miles Davis set. Nothing remotely flashy. But the DBA-02's themselves, oh wow - so light. And the cable is so soft and maleable. No memory at all and easy to fit. Once in the ear, they become invisible. I've not felt this level of comfort since the Klipsch S4's - they're truly invisible. So light, they basically kiss your ears.

I listened to them on their own at first and was surprised at the sweetness. There's nothing harsh or piercing - just beautiful. It's easily apparent that there is less bass, but the clarity that that affords, the separation, the wide soundstage - it makes everything that much sharper.

So I A/Bed them with the Fischer Audio Silver Bullets, the only IEM's I have in my repetoire that I think have even remotely a comparable sound to work from. The Silver Bullets sound veiled and muddy in comparison. But that's not quite fair - my ears had simply become attuned to the DBA-02 sound in the limited time I had with them! The Silver Bullets have noticeably more bass, giving a warmer sound. At the same time though, the presentation is thicker, feels less nimble and the vocals are recessed in comparison. I also noticed that at times little details would pop out with the Silver Bullets but in a rather unnatural way, as if they had been forced into your earline (couldn't really say eyeline there).

Putting the DBA-02's back on, and the thin sound, as you would quite expect, takes a little adjusting to. But once it has settled in, vocals are so much more present. They feel far more expansive. Whereas vocals on the Silver Bullets felt a little confined to the centre, the DBA-02's give them so much more air that the vocals almost pan over to the left and right. It goes further with the details - everything is crystalised - so sharp, glittering, shimmering all around. I swear there were minute details in the test track that I had never heard before - but then I realised I must have heard them but never noticed them or garnered as much individual delight as I did with the DBA-02's.

Astonishing levels of comfort and clarity. I'll give them a more vigorous run through in the forthcoming days, including some bass heavy material. Based on what I've heard though, I'm actually confident that the DBA's will fare well. It rendered the timbre of instruments so brilliantly and actually gave piano and strings a warm tone.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #2,946 of 4,469
Or you can do what I did, you can always put the 'outer tip' on correct orientation. The inner tip tube can be trimmed down so you don't cover the IEM's body
biggrin.gif
I'm really getting a great seal with these and the bass is awesome \m/

Quote:
Anyone know if these tips will fit the DBA-02? http://www.earjobs.com.au/products/etymotic-er6i-small-blue-3-flange-tips

Also, i want to know if the DBA and eterna have the same nozzle size, so i can swap tips around.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2,947 of 4,469

Quote:
Those Etymotic tips will fit the DBA-02. There are several head-fi-ers who swear by that combination as best for their ears. (I'm not one of them. I prefer the stock single flanges or Shure gray "soft flex" singles.)

leonsphinx has already answered your second question. Note that joker's comprehensive reviews include the nozzle diameter.

Sweet! 

Quote:
Or you can do what I did, you can always put the 'outer tip' on correct orientation. The inner tip tube can be trimmed down so you don't cover the IEM's body
biggrin.gif
I'm really getting a great seal with these and the bass is awesome \m/

Hahah that sounds cool, I might give it a go.

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2,948 of 4,469

Quote:
Ok, blimey, first impressions of the DBA-02's.

The DBA-02 packaging... <snip>

[size=10pt]Thanks so much for comparing the DBA to the Silver Bullets. I had been curious about them because of their reported 'fuller' presentation with more bass emphasis. But the roll-off (as I interpret your description) of the highs would not make it for me.[/size]

[size=10pt]As much as I love and appreciate a good warm signature, if the highs aren’t there (as we’ve discussed ad infinitum) they just don’t provide the needed presence for me.[/size]

[size=10pt]For my needs, the DBA-02 is near perfection.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cheers[/size]

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2,949 of 4,469
Hey dogears... what happened to your dog avatar? 
eek.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2,950 of 4,469
Oct 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #2,951 of 4,469
Quote:
     Quote:
This man speaks the truth. I just use the small stock single flange tips. Anyone has any experience on the Shure single flange's on the DBA's?

I'm using Shure gray "soft flex" single flange tips, linked here, and included in this excellent tip discussion from ClieOS. They're identical in SQ (as far as my old ears can discern) to the comparable size FA OEM black silicone tips despite the smaller aperture, but the Shure tips are more secure on the DBA nozzles.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #2,953 of 4,469
They fit - very tightly! It takes some patience and care to get them off the nozzles. To my ears, they were similar in SQ to the silicone single flanges, but less comfortable.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2,954 of 4,469

Quote:
First thing that I'm trying beyond the stock tips will be Shure olives.

They work well enough for me, but the Comply's (overhang trimmed flat to the core) work best as the insertion is deep, and the seal is perfect without loss of detail in the highs.

Oh yeah... and dfrost is right... they are more than just tight... they are near impossible (I forgot about that part...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back