Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #2,761 of 4,469

Quote:
Initial impressions:

Bass in barely there. Using Shure olives now. Gonna spend time picking out the best tips to bring out the bass. Any ideas?
May get be some getting used to. Way different from my Eternas and M2.
Probably give my verdict by the end of the week.

Note: This set has barely burned in yet as the owner used for a couple of days before selling.
Burn in is such subjective and touchy matter. Hopefully it helps.

I'm not meaning to be negative, but you won't get much change from 'burn-in' or break-in.
You might, however get more used to the sound with time.

Several factors for changing the sound include insertion depth, tips / seal, and angle.
I use trimmed (flat with the core) Comply P-type. The Olives can be very good, but they don't seal as well for me as the Comply's.

You will just need to experiment and see if any of the combinations work for you. Some will effect the sound more than others. But the overall character of the DBA is what they are and you'll eventually like them or not.
I hope you wind up enjoying them as much as may of us have.

All the best.

shane

BTW... you said what your equipment is... but what are your source files?

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #2,762 of 4,469

Quote:
Anyone notices the DBAs leaking sound..?

It doesn't leak badly or anything. Just that someone beside me can actually make out what music i'm listening to.
Is my set flawed or something? It's still comparatively new.. about 2 months?

and my fischer audio print/logo is wearing off T.T

Haven't noticed it, but judging how thin the housing shell is for transmitting outside noises I don't doubt the opposite is true.  If you have a nice round, full bodied neutral bass then your seal is fine.  If not, then your seal is off and could be leaking.  Ety tri flanges didn't fit right on every insertion for me, which is true for most round deep insertion tips.

Quote:
Initial impressions:

Bass in barely there. Using Shure olives now. Gonna spend time picking out the best tips to bring out the bass. Any ideas?

See above.  I use Klipsch oval gels myself w/ deep insertion, works fantastic w/ my setup andbrings fantastic isolation and comfort.  See if you can get something to give deeper insertion if nothing else works for you.  If you use bi and tri flanges, try not inserting the tip all the way down the nozzle so they extend out further.  They will go deeper into your ear canal as a result.  I actually tried some other tips including the monster tips w/ small nozzle adapters a few weeks ago.  That was NOT a good experience.  Sounded exactly like the impressions of people that didn't like the DBAs and sold them.  Glad my setup works for me.  Phew!

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #2,764 of 4,469

Quote:
My source is an iPod Video 5.5G with 320kpbs files. Been meaning to get a sansa clip + soon.

They are very transparent, if your source and files aren't up to it they will let you know it.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #2,771 of 4,469
Who cares how they look when you're having a great time listening to your music
etysmile.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #2,772 of 4,469

Quote:
Haven't noticed it, but judging how thin the housing shell is for transmitting outside noises I don't doubt the opposite is true.  If you have a nice round, full bodied neutral bass then your seal is fine.  If not, then your seal is off and could be leaking.  Ety tri flanges didn't fit right on every insertion for me, which is true for most round deep insertion tips.

They sound fine :) will post my mini review on this thread later on. Its just the leakage that bugs me. I don't feel comfortable with people around me looking at me. >.<
They leak around 1/4 of what grados leak. Grr. Any tips to minimise this?

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #2,773 of 4,469
Okay guys! Here's my impressions after around 2 months with it.
I bought mine off treoo.com for SGD$236.
I listened them through this: FLAC>DIYmod 5.5g> DIY copper lod with BG caps> Ordnance.22 amp> DBA-02s fitted with ety tri flanges.

Packaging.

Wow, they're really green! Very nice minimalistic packaging. I like
biggrin.gif

The accessories was a letdown though, was expecting abit more, like complys or the whole set of Sony Hybrid tips, and a earwax remover or something.
And oh! the warranty gave me a good laugh. Funny stuff.

Sound.

Treble.

God, they just excel in this compartment.
Very very clear and detailed highs, without much sibilance.
They extend really well, and they were never too bright.
Beautiful.

Mids.

I feel that they do their job fine very well. Smooth, clean, and most of all, not too laid back.
It gets a bit crowded at times, but they're much better than other iems, like my dad's triplefi.
Again, a very good job here.

Bass,

Initially, i thought my DBA's were faulty as i couldn't hear any bass!
However, after some brain burn in and switching to ety trip flanges,
the bass was just.. WOW.
Extremely precise and fast, with a nice deep extension.
The quantity might not appease everyone, but i'm sure the quality will.
The bass is just, natural.
Whenever i feel like getting a bit more bass, i'll turn the bass up to around +4db.
However, with eq off, they still sound very very nice.

Soundstage & Seperation

These iems basically just split everything apart, and arranges it up like a lego building.
You can differentiate the layers in the music, from the tight crisp bass to the smooth mids to the crystal clear highs.

The soundstage, although not as wide as ie8s, is very proportional.
They extend horizontally and vertically really well, unlike the ie8s where they have great width but not much depth.
Very good :)

Speed.

These iems are fast, really fast.
Listening to Set To Fail by Lamb of God, the intro attacks really fast and it is very well defined.
For complicated passages in music, the speed and separation really gives the music great clarity.

Build Quality.

Very well built; the cables feels very soft and seems hand-made.
The jack is still holding strong after two months of hard use, although i feel they can be improved.
The housing itself feels solid, but doesnt look really expensive.
Still, admirable build quality.

Bad points.

THEY LEAK!!!!! *&^%&^%&^%.
Like what annaxilus said, i think this is due to the thin housing.
Although it doesn't leak badly, it's still quite noticable to the person beside me.
Anyone has any advice on how to rectify this?

Conclusion..

These are vere good iems, capable of outperforming many iems and can be compared to the big boys.
They are well suited for all genres, and i feel anyone will appreciate them, except bassheads of course.
It's a good deal, especially for its price.

Compared to Triple Fis, highs matched head to head imho, except for the bass department and the mids.
The DBA's bass is more controlled and crisp, but the Triple Fis are more full sounding.
It depends on your taste really.
The DBA's mids are not as recessed as the Triple Fis, and i prefer the DBA's.
However, given a choice, i'd go for the triple fi's if they are reshelled with an additional mid driver.
However, stock, i'd choose the DBA's.

BEST IEMS I HAD YET!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #2,774 of 4,469

Quote:
Initial impressions:

Note: This set has barely burned in yet as the owner used for a couple of days before selling.
Burn in is such subjective and touchy matter. Hopefully it helps.

I both own the eterna rev.2 and dba-02 and comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. They're just complete extremes...But I like them both, EQUALLY. To me, they serve different purposes and complement each other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back