Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #2,536 of 4,469
I finally got my pair after a mixup in the shipping address. I tried using the stock tips, but they didn't fit my ears well at all. I then tried the included triple-flanges, which fit very well, and I get a pretty deep insertion.

The amount of bass is definitely not lacking, and this is out-of-the-box. Compared to my balanced AKG K702, the DBA-02's even feel a tad bit bassier. I really can't find any complaints about the bass except that it doesn't extend as low into sub-bass as my balanced K702, but as a BA IEM, I think that's to be expected.

I do notice a bit of sibilance with the stock tri-flanges, though, but maybe burn-in will smooth it out. Either that or I'm just not used to the sound yet. I've found that the medium Sleek Audio bi-flanges from my SA6 fit the DBA nozzle well, but they push a bit too far on. I kinda wish the Sleek tips had a stem... The sibilance is gone with the SA6 bi-flanges, but I feel the bass loses some quantity (and maybe even some quality?) compared to the stock tri-flanges. Anyone else out there try these out with Sleek bi-flanges?

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #2,537 of 4,469

Quote:

Got my DBA-02 a few days ago and am equally enjoying them as you are. Compared to my RE0's, i think they have a very similar presentation and equally analytical but the DBA-02 is a notch higher in terms of treble presentation. As of now, I prefer the more laid back treble of the RE0's  but cant be sure if this liking will last though. I think the RE0's are kinder and more pleasurable to the ears than the DBA's when it comes to songs with vocals since I feel a bit of sibilance in this aspect with the DBA's. With the lows, i think they're pretty much the same. Not for the basshead but for those who appreciate clean, crisp bass.

Interesting...  You make it sound like the RE0's are better...

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #2,538 of 4,469

Quote:
Interesting...  You make it sound like the RE0's are better...

Yeah, they aren't to my ears.  More than worth it to pay twice as much for the DBA's IMO.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2,539 of 4,469
I have decided to purchase another pair of dba's. This is the first time i have committed to 2 pairs of the same iem. I can't imagine losing them.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #2,540 of 4,469

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them that much to buy two pairs.  I was not impressed at all when I got mine and I ended up selling them after a week because they're not worth it to me.  I'd probably buy another pair if I could get it for $80 though since that is what I think they're worth.

Quote:
I have decided to purchase another pair of dba's. This is the first time i have committed to 2 pairs of the same iem. I can't imagine losing them.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="1" />

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2,541 of 4,469

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them that much to buy two pairs.  I was not impressed at all when I got mine and I ended up selling them after a week because they're not worth it to me.  I'd probably buy another pair if I could get it for $80 though since that is what I think they're worth.

Couldn't get the proper seal? I didn't like them at all for the first 2 weeks till i gave it more time and i truly enjoy them right now.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #2,542 of 4,469

Quote:
^hey shane, do the DBAs sound close to any of your hps on your sig? I have the modded T50RP and AKG K501 but I find listening to the DBAs more :p

Anaxilus is right. I did, and still say that they are closest to the DT880/600's than any full-sized I've heard.  
L3000.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #2,543 of 4,469
In the next few weeks im putting a deposit down for a demo pair of the UM Mage, so i shall see how the DBA holds up against them.
biggrin.gif
Fingers crossed i dont get caught into the whole customs loop like i did with Full size phones.

Quote:
Customs are definitely not cheap esp when you have possibility of refits but imo they are worth it. I got a pair of some cheap customs that got remolded and I do consider them an upgrade over the DBA-02 and wasn't 3x the cost but I took the risk for them and I enjoy them quite  bit. Of course I'm tempted to get customs that are more expensive which I didn't quite have when I had only universals..

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #2,544 of 4,469

Quote:
In the next few weeks im putting a deposit down for a demo pair of the UM Mage, so i shall see how the DBA holds up against them.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" /> Fingers crossed i dont get caught into the whole customs loop like i did with Full size phones.

tell us how it goes! :) I'm considering customs too, though I'm thinking JH5 and they'll be a long way down the IEM road for me, I'll be holding on to these gems for a while longer :) And hmm regarding those who think the DBA isn't even on par with the RE0, ever heard of psychological adjustment? Not spending the time to get used to the 'phone is a huge detriment when trying new gear IMO, it means you just get stuck with one type of sound preference for the entirety of your audiophile life.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #2,545 of 4,469

Quote:
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" /> Fingers crossed i dont get caught into the whole customs loop like i did with Full size phones.

Deposit? As in something like putting down money so they send you a Mage demo? They definitely are a custom I'm interested in. You do have to get customs to get a clear upgrade over the DBA-02 as the top universals seems to all be at the same level and have not gotten better since the last couple years.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #2,546 of 4,469
strange it seems my dba02 sound change again from the last time i heard... don't know if it just my feeling or something else affect it but its really different from the last time.
what i notice that the guitar sound, bass speed and tightness, vocal and treble extension are more redefined than before, everything feels so clear and i feel emerged to the music.
still got its treble aggressiveness but somehow it feel real smooth, like everything harmonized.
hard to describe what i feel now but its so damn great.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #2,547 of 4,469

Quote:
strange it seems my dba02 sound change again from the last time i heard... don't know if it just my feeling or something else affect it but its really different from the last time.
what i notice that the guitar sound, bass speed and tightness, vocal and treble extension are more redefined than before, everything feels so clear and i feel emerged to the music.
still got its treble aggressiveness but somehow it feel real smooth, like everything harmonized.

I wished i had the same feeling but it was opposite for me. They sounded sibilant again when i just tried them earlier on. Took them off and gonna listen to it tomorrow.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #2,548 of 4,469
Yeah dude, im organising it with the Unique Melody provider thats just been setup in Australia. Once they have some demo Mage's available, i will deposit said amount and they will send through a pair to me. I know they will be universal, but it will atleast give me an idea on the sound before i jump in.

Quote:
Deposit? As in something like putting down money so they send you a Mage demo? They definitely are a custom I'm interested in. You do have to get customs to get a clear upgrade over the DBA-02 as the top universals seems to all be at the same level and have not gotten better since the last couple years.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2,549 of 4,469

Quote:

Quote:
I wished i had the same feeling but it was opposite for me. They sounded sibilant again when i just tried them earlier on. Took them off and gonna listen to it tomorrow.

I've had similar experiences.  It's definitely a fit/insertion issue.  I swear even the tinniest change in my ears can bring about a change in how I hear the DBAs.  Not only is this the most transparent IEM I have heard for source but also ear position and fit.  I have never been this conscious of how my ear's physiology changes from morning to evening w/ any other phone.  But once it's right, it's soooo right!

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #2,550 of 4,469

Quote:

I've had similar experiences.  It's definitely a fit/insertion issue.  I swear even the tinniest change in my ears can bring about a change in how I hear the DBAs.  Not only is this the most transparent IEM I have heard for source but also ear position and fit.  I have never been this conscious of how my ear's physiology changes from morning to evening w/ any other phone.  But once it's right, it's soooo right!

I have the same experience with the DBA's -- that you have to have a good fit/insertion to achieve the best possible sound and any changes in sound quality is probably due to this and not becauese of the burn-in process. Even the slightest change in the degree of angulation of insertion can change a lot the quality of the sound. This is quite common among IEM in general but I observed that the DBA's are sooo sensitive to this. It's maybe because of its relatively longer and narrower nozzle. Just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back