Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2,146 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:
I've been surprised by the amount of times I've heard these compared to the HJE900s, because they seem like two extremely different phones; V-Shaped vs slightly of neutral, from what I've read. I'm considering what my next IEM purchase will be, and these are a top contender, but I wonder whether the difference will be worth it over the Pannies. I listen to pretty much every music genre out there, so lean bass make me somewhat wary. Perhaps they can make a nice compliment though.

They're compared because they are two highly-recommended earphones at a similar price point (at least until recently), not because they share a sound signature. It's usually the people asking the questions comparing them, not those giving the answers as they really are very different earphones. If you like the balance of the Pannys I really wouldn't recommend the DBA-02 as a replacement but they should indeed be a nice compliment 
wink.gif

Thanks for that! There actually have been a number of posts that compared the two in sound signature, at least earlier on in the thread. I suppose it wasn't as much the frequency response as it was the timbre and imaging/separation(I thought I read someone saying they are kind of like EQd HJEs), but still. Anyways, nice to hear they would make a good compliment, and I doo quite like how they look, especially for a plastic construction. I'm a sucker for all things blue =P

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2,148 of 4,469

Quote:
I think I will tune T50RP's bass w/ the help of the DBA-02s
smiley.gif

Well, uh....hmmm, umm...argh.  I'm still doing some low volume burn and wont get to give them a decent listen till tomorrow or the next day but, T50RPs tuned to DBA bass?  You realize it should be the other way around lol.  Nothing beats an Ortho on Bass quantity, quality, extension, texture, decay, reverb and still fits on your head.  I catch your meaning though.  
wink_face.gif

Right now I will say the following though.  I have no issues w/ any sibilance and tracks that have sibilance aren't anything from the norm in presentation.  At low volumes I'm fairly impressed in that it strikes me as the perfect combination of an Ety ER4S and MC5 which is what I've been looking for.  More like an ER4S crossed w/ an SM3 being the goal.  Tomorrow I get to crank up the volume a bit and perhaps listen from my Sflo2.  I use my Gumstick for burn in since it has a digital display of the volume.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #2,149 of 4,469

Quote:
Thanks for that! There actually have been a number of posts that compared the two in sound signature, at least earlier on in the thread. I suppose it wasn't as much the frequency response as it was the timbre and imaging/separation(I thought I read someone saying they are kind of like EQd HJEs), but still. Anyways, nice to hear they would make a good compliment, and I doo quite like how they look, especially for a plastic construction. I'm a sucker for all things blue =P

If you like how they look, you should see them hooked up to a Hippo Gumstick.  Talk about match made in heaven.  With the built in Class A amp, looks, warmer sound signature w/ solid bass I was hoping the DBA02 would be a perfect synergy in every way.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2,150 of 4,469
@Anaxilus: that depends a lot on the T50RP's housing. I still have it on stock. Already tamed the boomy bass but it is not as 'clean' as what I'm hearing from the DBAs. I'll get more serious with the listening next week though.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2,151 of 4,469

Quote:
@Anaxilus: that depends a lot on the T50RP's housing. I still have it on stock. Already tamed the boomy bass but it is not as 'clean' as what I'm hearing from the DBAs. I'll get more serious with the listening next week though.

Oh definitely, I was really just referring to the driver technology specifically.  YMMV.  

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #2,152 of 4,469

Quote:
dba's are so-so. a little bit more bass extension and impact would be perfect. i could see the dba04 being better for my tastes

You need to be aware of how so-so a lot of music is.  Depending on what you've used to date, you may or may not be familiar with how revealing some of these earphones can be, revealing in the sense that bad recordings will actually sound like crap but also very good recordings will sound amazing.  There has to be some care with these types of earphones in ensuring both a good quality recording of the music as well as a good quality playing device that will also not introduce its own distortion and noise.  The DBA-02 is not forgiving at all, so there is increased need for higher grade inputs.

I would be curious how the DBA-04 turns out.  More drivers doesn't make it better, but having a variety of options is always good.  That's why we keep buying this stuff.  We keep trying to find what fits us best.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #2,153 of 4,469
Is the DBA04 more drivers?  I thought it was pretty much the same but slightly different and at a cheaper price? 

Quote:
You need to be aware of how so-so a lot of music is.  Depending on what you've used to date, you may or may not be familiar with how revealing some of these earphones can be, revealing in the sense that bad recordings will actually sound like crap but also very good recordings will sound amazing.  There has to be some care with these types of earphones in ensuring both a good quality recording of the music as well as a good quality playing device that will also not introduce its own distortion and noise.  The DBA-02 is not forgiving at all, so there is increased need for higher grade inputs.

I would be curious how the DBA-04 turns out.  More drivers doesn't make it better, but having a variety of options is always good.  That's why we keep buying this stuff.  We keep trying to find what fits us best.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2,154 of 4,469

interesting that my previous dba02 only comes with black tips, earguides, and toilet paper pouch..
well was using them with t100.. so didnt matter.. but, i got less tips :frowning2:.

quoting mvw2's...
here are my sund comments: but only based on memory.
-clean, delicate, and sparkly sound - agree.,.
-good dynamic range and energy, relatively aggressive - too aggressive for me..
-well balanced frequency response with a roll off below 100Hz - not really sure.. it got too much texture emphasis..
-sound stage is decent side to side but isn't so good in depth (creates a relative forward sound signature) - agree.. i would consider it slightly above hibbo vb..
-tonality and presence follows the recording well (less earphone sound signature, more signature of recording) - very agree..
-high frequency and midrange frequency information is really good - information, yes, agree..
-low frequency information could be a little more robust/heavy/enveloping, lacking some fullness and low end frequency sensitivity - lacking a lot to me.. it doesnt have weight or big body.. just taps or tones..

also as for spitty.. i dunno why i didnt get any from ck10.. but i got a lot from dba-02 from the same files that i played.. t100 only helped a bit, not much. I am always using flacs, or sometimes wav for fav tracks.. and these are the same track that stabbed my ears hard on dba-02, never with the ck10, despite the ck10 having prominent treble emphasis.
oh, i am using ck10 with t200.

oh i found meier amps to be very aggressive for me too.. i cant imagine how u can tolerate it with the dba-02, what tips r u using?

Quote:

Sound comments:
-clean, delicate, and sparkly sound
-good dynamic range and energy, relatively aggressive
-well balanced frequency response with a roll off below 100Hz
-sound stage is decent side to side but isn't so good in depth (creates a relative forward sound signature)
-tonality and presence follows the recording well (less earphone sound signature, more signature of recording)
-high frequency and midrange frequency information is really good
-low frequency information could be a little more robust/heavy/enveloping, lacking some fullness and low end frequency sensitivity

I don't get the sibilance comment.  There aren't bad in response, not hot or spitty.  Rather the treble is just energetic and with strong energy which may be unusual for people first coming into this type of earphone.  There isn't a frequency response emphasis though.  It's more so the recording that either has the emphasis or harshness.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2,155 of 4,469

Quote:

i may be new here but im not new to this audiophile hobby. been buying/selling lots of stuff lately to try out other products so i know what good,bad, so-so equates in general. I have tried monster md mptc mtpg sony ex700lp fx500 radius ddm and just about every mid-hi end iem out there. The dba02 is so-so for me because it is not that good and not that bad. It does nothing special but plays your music just the way it was meant to sound. I'd describe it as neutral to borderline sibilant. All my files are flac and 320 mp3's. My source is a kenwood mg-f516 paired with ibasso t3 amp. got hifiman hm-602 coming too. 

I agree while the highs are sparkly and nice, it is still sibilant to my ears. hopefully the dba04 would sound fuller and have a bit more bass extension while retaining the mids and decreasing the treble a bit. A lot of upcoming products about to be released too which gives us reasons to get excited

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #2,156 of 4,469
All I can say is, you have to read the reviews, these won't be for everyone. For those who appreciate the presentation, I'll bet my house you'll love it, but for those that simply don't like that presentation (eg. want something laid back, warm, relaxing, etc) I'll almost bet my house you won't like it. Of course, I've heard of people that did like it even though they applied to the former generalization, but you get the point. You love it or you don't, and it's important to figure out which you'll be. It's really not that hard to tell, if you love dynamics such as the IE8 and MTPG etc, and can't see yourself living with anything else, then make sure you think about what you purchase. Anyone who appreciates sparkly highs and doesn't place a huge emphasis on bass in their preferences, these may suit you. If you love bass, well, these aren't for you.
I've learned to simply appreciate what they and other IEMs offer, each with their own merits and demerits. What is my perfect may not be your perfect.

Of course, I hope everyone did do their research and will like the DBA, but for those who don't, well, I'm sorry to hear that. What I will say though, is with any IEM, allow time for your brain to adjust. Listening to the RE0 was hard for me at first, but after I got used to it, I rather liked it.

Oh, and feel free to add a touch of cotton wool or the like to help tame the mid-highs a little, as long as you don't damage anything or shove it in deep.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #2,158 of 4,469
The highs are certainly more aggressive than most everything else out there.  The sibilance is recording dependent though, and it's not the earphone just doing it all the time.  Some songs are just bright.

I'd be curious to hear this earphone ran off a tube amp or a solid state amp that warms and smooths the sound.  For as light and aggressive this earphone is, an amp like this could be a real savior for some and turn this concise, aggressive earphone into something a little sweeter to the ear.  Because of how strongly it is geared towards one end, there's a lot of wiggle room here to shift it the other way and still end up with a more normal sounding earphone.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #2,159 of 4,469

Quote:

I have tried monster md mptc mtpg sony ex700lp fx500 radius ddm and just about every mid-hi end iem out there

Which one do you like most so far?

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2,160 of 4,469

Quote:
The highs are certainly more aggressive than most everything else out there.

Even with the least aggressive tips on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back