Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Sep 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #2,103 of 4,469
Try something other than the black stock tips, those have a slight bump where the sibilance is it seems.
Light grey tips sound lighter, dark grey tips sound darker.
I agree with the sibilance being not very offensive, perhaps that is why I am so fine with the stock tips. On the occasion I get it, it's nothing piercing or alarming.
Try turning down the volume a tad too, that always takes care of it for me. Glad you like them (even though you aren't my customer :p)!

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #2,104 of 4,469
Thanks for tips Ethan, no pun intended :) I'll look for my ideal tips then use them first so I can enjoy them while burning them in.

And now for some pics I took this morning w/ my Nokia N82 :p

Dared MP-5 at the background :p

Free Comply T100s

One has to be really careful removing those IEMs from the package

Freebies

Tips galore!

Photo opp with UE SF5(v2). Plastic rules! :D

Red=Right :D

Darn it, thinner nozzle.

What happens again if I remove those filter?

Custom fit! :D

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #2,105 of 4,469
I'm glad to see other people have problems and solutions with the fact that they didn't bother printing a L/R on the IEMs...

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #2,107 of 4,469
I ordered my DBA-02s in early July from eBay so it has now been two months and obviously my order was cancelled/refunded the other day.  Based on some of the more recent impressions (especially the pair that had to be sent back), I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was a blessing in disguise.  I am not an audiophile--I'm new to this site and although I'm very interested in learning more than I already have, I highly doubt I'm as picky as a lot of the members of the forum.  And I mean "picky" in a good way.  So now I'm asking for some help in deciding where to go from here.  I hate my crappy temporary earphones and want some quality IEMs as soon as possible.

My most recent earphones were Shure SE210s.  In case it gives you any perspective, I once tested how discerning my ear was by mixing up FLAC and V0 quality mp3s in a playlist to see if I could tell the difference, and I couldn't.  None of my friends could either.  I'm hesitant to just buy more Shures because the overall impression on these boards seems to be they're overpriced for what you get.  But the more I read about the DBAs, the more they seem to be for "analytical" users, apparently lack in bass, and have provided sibilance for a lot of people.  I appreciate the details of music probably more than most casual listeners--the little details of songs are often my favorite parts--but perhaps not as much as most people in this forum.  I like bass, but I don't necessarily want something booming that sounds bad.

It sounds like almost everyone loves the CK10 but they cost at least $100 more depending on where you look.  My requirements for my next earphones are that they're a step up in "value" from the SE210 (although I honestly really enjoyed them), wouldn't be described as "lacking" in bass, are "fun" to listen to but still offer a quality sound, and are ideally less than $200.  Is it worth sucking it up and getting the CK10, or can you guys think of something else that matches what I'm looking for that costs less?

EDIT: After doing somem ore reading, I wanted to see if you guys thought the Westone W2 might be a good alternative to the DBA-02 for me.  I think I could order those now and get them soon, and it sounds like they have decent bass.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #2,108 of 4,469
hi, the R and L are there, just in ninja mode.

On the inside, in the plastic part, you can read a R and L that look scratched in the plastic.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #2,109 of 4,469

Quote:

On the inside, in the plastic part, you can read a R and L that look scratched in the plastic.

Oh yea! Wow... Never seen them before... Pretty much impossible to see in bad light.

Quote:
Same here, the fit is perfect for me.

Damn.... So very jealous...

Question for DBA users. Are all of you hooked up to a portable amp? 43ohms might benefit from more power. Maybe thats why so many people are facing sibilance problems?

I never believed in amping IEMs though... But if it helps to know.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #2,111 of 4,469

Quote:
Oh yea! Wow... Never seen them before... Pretty much impossible to see in bad light.

Damn.... So very jealous...

Question for DBA users. Are all of you hooked up to a portable amp? 43ohms might benefit from more power. Maybe thats why so many people are facing sibilance problems?

I never believed in amping IEMs though... But if it helps to know.

Amping will usually help with soundstage and separation. Also helps to have more power output to avoid clipping and crackling in high volume as i love to crank up the volume. Only headphones will gain with amping is a long forgotten myth. Also helps to create a balanced setup if you have a "bright" iem and you might wanna mix it with a "warmer" sounding amp to balance it out.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #2,112 of 4,469

Quote:
I ordered my DBA-02s in early July from eBay so it has now been two months and obviously my order was cancelled/refunded the other day.  Based on some of the more recent impressions (especially the pair that had to be sent back), I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was a blessing in disguise.  I am not an audiophile--I'm new to this site and although I'm very interested in learning more than I already have, I highly doubt I'm as picky as a lot of the members of the forum.  And I mean "picky" in a good way.  So now I'm asking for some help in deciding where to go from here.  I hate my crappy temporary earphones and want some quality IEMs as soon as possible.

My most recent earphones were Shure SE210s.  In case it gives you any perspective, I once tested how discerning my ear was by mixing up FLAC and V0 quality mp3s in a playlist to see if I could tell the difference, and I couldn't.  None of my friends could either.  I'm hesitant to just buy more Shures because the overall impression on these boards seems to be they're overpriced for what you get.  But the more I read about the DBAs, the more they seem to be for "analytical" users, apparently lack in bass, and have provided sibilance for a lot of people.  I appreciate the details of music probably more than most casual listeners--the little details of songs are often my favorite parts--but perhaps not as much as most people in this forum.  I like bass, but I don't necessarily want something booming that sounds bad.

It sounds like almost everyone loves the CK10 but they cost at least $100 more depending on where you look.  My requirements for my next earphones are that they're a step up in "value" from the SE210 (although I honestly really enjoyed them), wouldn't be described as "lacking" in bass, are "fun" to listen to but still offer a quality sound, and are ideally less than $200.  Is it worth sucking it up and getting the CK10, or can you guys think of something else that matches what I'm looking for that costs less?

Have you tried the Fischer Audio Eterna V1? A lot of people coming from the mid-fi shures are looking to spend $200 but end up spending $80 for an Eterna but THINKING they just spend $200. :)  

The Eterna's are exactly as you describe: fun, warm, accesible but with enough detail. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #2,113 of 4,469

Quote:

right i've also just realize it when i see some kind of rubber sticking to a clear surface on the back body part, but then again when i observe truly its just the L/R marking LOL

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #2,114 of 4,469
Never believed in amping IEMs? Change that belief, cos it works :) The Xin being an example of phenomenal improvements in soundquality when paired with the ER4. But anyway amps could be used to correct gripes with the soundsig of your IEMs, especially with a 'phone as responsive as the DBA.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2,115 of 4,469
It may work but it's always been minor little changes for me. Amping never made a big enough difference to me to own a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back