Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #1,832 of 4,469

Quote:
I am astounded by the sheer amount of sibilance, i have tried all the tips and they are all the same. Bass is boomy all over the spectrum and it's horrible. It sounds worse than my apple buds!! Whats going on here? Do they needs a few hours at least to settle in or are they so tips dependent till this level?? I am really disappointed.

That's strange. If you say there is sibilance yeah maybe understandable. But bass is boomy all over the spectrum???? I think you've got a defective pair. The dbas bass is absolutely no where near boomy. Its one of the leanest and unoffensive around.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #1,833 of 4,469
Just got my DBA-02 yesterday , Great sound and all , but for some unknown reason , the right side sounds softer then the left after i changed the ear tips today? , swoped back to the comply t100 i was using , but the right side still sounds the same. softer , been told to burn in for 60 hours . now its on 4 hours , and i still observe no change. right side is still softer , as though the highs have been removed.

Anybody got suggestion on fixing this problem?

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,834 of 4,469

Quote:
Just got my DBA-02 yesterday , Great sound and all , but for some unknown reason , the right side sounds softer then the left after i changed the ear tips today? , swoped back to the comply t100 i was using , but the right side still sounds the same. softer , been told to burn in for 60 hours . now its on 4 hours , and i still observe no change. right side is still softer , as though the highs have been removed.

Anybody got suggestion on fixing this problem?

Do you have the new ones with the filter deep in the nozzle or the old ones with the black paper filter at the front? If you have the old ones, poke a pin sized hole in the filter. Listen to it and if it doesn't fix the problem yet, make the hole a tiny bit larger, etc etc until they are balanced. That's what the filter issue was with the previous batch.

If you have the new filter, don't do anything to it yet. I don't know they react to stuff like that and how they change the sound so I won't advise anyone of what to do, especially not my customer.

I guess this one is obvious, but, is something blocking the nozzle? It doesn't take much to change the sound.

I'd run them for more than 4 hours before totally discounting the burn-in, just to be safe.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,835 of 4,469
They are the new batch , just got them only. checked the filters , nothing blocking them ,

Edit: sounds quite normal now ..... will litsen to them again tml to double confirm. have no clue what i did , somewhere along the lines of removing the tips to check the filters -.-
Quote:
Do you have the new ones with the filter deep in the nozzle or the old ones with the black paper filter at the front? If you have the old ones, poke a pin sized hole in the filter. Listen to it and if it doesn't fix the problem yet, make the hole a tiny bit larger, etc etc until they are balanced. That's what the filter issue was with the previous batch.

If you have the new filter, don't do anything to it yet. I don't know they react to stuff like that and how they change the sound so I won't advise anyone of what to do, especially not my customer.

I guess this one is obvious, but, is something blocking the nozzle? It doesn't take much to change the sound.

I'd run them for more than 4 hours before totally discounting the burn-in, just to be safe.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #1,836 of 4,469
Its been nearly 4 hours, it seems to have improves abit but its overall sq is still sub par compared vs pl30 that i had from my friend. The lower bass seems to be boomy still and has a slight echo. Also has a slight hiss when on a quiet track in the background. Im using the stock medium sillicon tips. Still doesnt live up to the hype. Will continue to let it burn throughout the night and might change tips tomorrow if it s doesnt improve ima gonna have to return them.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #1,837 of 4,469

Quote:
Its been nearly 4 hours, it seems to have improves abit but its overall sq is still sub par compared vs pl30 that i had from my friend. The lower bass seems to be boomy still and has a slight echo. Also has a slight hiss when on a quiet track in the background. Im using the stock medium sillicon tips. Still doesnt live up to the hype. Will continue to let it burn throughout the night and might change tips tomorrow if it s doesnt improve ima gonna have to return them.

Hum , not sure about you , but for me i think you should try listening to those live songs? , as in recorded during a live. The dba-02 shines in the seperation of the audiance , and the music itself . and also compared to my other playtoys , Eterna and M11 , dba-02 , has the less Fatique inducing sound.

Side note , against the previous post i place , somehow my DBA-02 , sounds back to normal.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #1,838 of 4,469
Glad to hear :)

Quote:
Hum , not sure about you , but for me i think you should try listening to those live songs? , as in recorded during a live. The dba-02 shines in the seperation of the audiance , and the music itself . and also compared to my other playtoys , Eterna and M11 , dba-02 , has the less Fatique inducing sound.

Side note , against the previous post i place , somehow my DBA-02 , sounds back to normal.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,840 of 4,469
Well theres one truth to it , when first out of box , i agree with Surrealsky they was very sharp(Glass scratching glass sharp). which later settled down and sounds better.

If theres anything else that could cause a diff would be the tips. when i started using , was the stock tips , then swap to comply t100.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #1,841 of 4,469

Well theres one truth to it , when first out of box , i agree with Surrealsky they was very sharp(Glass scratching glass sharp). which later settled down and sounds better.

If theres anything else that could cause a diff would be the tips. when i started using , was the stock tips , then swap to comply t100.

I will definitely give the complys a try.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,842 of 4,469

Quote:
I still dont get why some of you are saying you need to burn these in. Any "burn in" that occurs with these would be psychological/perceptive. So sharing perceived "burn in" changes is pointless.

IMO, you are correct.  A balanced armature driver is not like a dynamic driver (cone driver) that needs to be played so the driver material can loosen or settle down.  

Burn-in on a dynamic driver can be debated all day long, but the truth of the matter is that most of the "change" in the sound of an IEM is your brain getting used to a new, different sonic presentation.  If all you had was an AM radio, you would get used to that and it would sound "pretty good" after a while!

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,843 of 4,469
 Well thanks, I will wait on your opinions then before doing any ordering.

Quote:
I doubt that they would pair well for you - if you want more bass/lower mids. The pa2v2 doesn't change the sound signature much, but it's great at boosting levels. I doubt that the DBAs need the listening levels boosted, either :)

An iBasso amp (probably one with bass boost) or maybe a cMoyBB (I've never heard one, so I really can't comment on it) would probably be a better choice for you if you want more bass/lower mids out of these.

I can let you know how the pa2v2 pairs with the DBAs after I receive them.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,844 of 4,469
these supposed problems with the new batch of dba are alittle discerning... 
blink.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #1,845 of 4,469

Quote:
I will definitely give the complys a try.

I'll most likely be using Comply's when my DBA's com in.

As was recommended by kwkarth, I trimmed down the tips (the side that goes into the ear first), to the top of the center plastic core. Trimmed them flat, not sloped.
It improved the bass of the SE535 and was very good with isolation and comfort. It also did not effect (suck out) the highs in any way. The sound remained clear and clean.

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back