Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #556 of 4,469

Quote:
These have made me a armature guy, in no way will i be going back to dynamic IEM's. I listened to my IE8's after having the DBA's for so long and they sounded ridiculously dark and the bass was out of this world overblown.

I guess it's a bit different for me. I have always been a BA guy. The only dynamic I have owned that I truly enjoyed was the Head Direct RE0. I have been able to have a decent number of dynamics on loan however. I will always be a BA guy but I can enjoy dynamics due to some things that are present in dynamics that are not there in BA based phones.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #557 of 4,469

I really enjoyed the JVC FX500 but i had to eq them which put me off. Having to eq is something i really hate doing. Every pair of dynamics ive had, its been the same. I was actually considering the FX700, but i purchased these after LFF's review and because the price difference was rather big between them both. Definitely have no regrets on my blind buy.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I guess it's a bit different for me. I have always been a BA guy. The only dynamic I have owned that I truly enjoyed was the Head Direct RE0. I have been able to have a decent number of dynamics on loan however. I will always be a BA guy but I can enjoy dynamics due to some things that are present in dynamics that are not there in BA based phones.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #558 of 4,469
i've been monitoring this thread ever since the DBA-02 reviewed by LFF, all those positive comment are really tempting... really.
this past month i've been collecting my money for e-Q7 but this surely make things more difficult :D

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #559 of 4,469

Quote:
 With the acquisition of these I think most everything i own other than my Panasonic's is soon for sale.

h20buzz,

The HJE900s have been another IEM of interest to me.

If you can stand to remove the DBAs (Yes, it is hard to stop listening with them!), how would you compare them?

Anybody else that has both?

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #560 of 4,469
rawster, what do you think of the dba-02 vs re0? i know i tried monster turbine copper which is suppose to be an "upgrade" from the re0, but the sound just didnt work for me.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #561 of 4,469
It's hard to say really. The last time I listened to the RE0 was around December or January so I don't really remember it that well so I can't really give you specifics but I do know that the sound signature of the DBA 02 is much closer to the RE0 than the Coppers. I actually have the Coppers and they are a completely different signature than the DBA 02. I won't be able to A/B obviously but my guess is that if you liked the RE0  you would enjoy the DBA 02. These are easier to drive and better built than the RE0.

Someone who has both should be able to give a better answer.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #562 of 4,469

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #563 of 4,469

Quote:

h20buzz,

The HJE900s have been another IEM of interest to me.

If you can stand to remove the DBAs (Yes, it is hard to stop listening with them!), how would you compare them?

Anybody else that has both?

Well, most will tell you that the HJE900 has a much brighter treble, and i would agree...with stock tips...I put Comply's on mine to kill a little of it and make it more to my liking. With the tip change it actually makes them very similar IEM's. Comply's change the 900's sound signature much more than they do the DBA's. The 900's have noticeably more bass impact than the DBA-02 does. The DBA has a bigger soundstage to my ears. The 900 is very good with bringing out minute details in your music that you may not hear with other phones, but the DBA does it even better. Other than that, they really are of a similar signature.My 900's reached their current sonic signature at about 50 hours and haven't much changed. I would tell someone that was a staunch bass lover but also wanted clarity and detail to go HJE900, and someone who likes more of an excellent balance to go DBA-02. Personally i prefer both.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #564 of 4,469
h20buzz,

Thanks for that succinct comparison. You provide a very clear description of differences and similarities at a level that I can appreciate. I'm still working on figuring out what my IEM SQ preferences are (and what these old ears would notice), but I know that these DBAs have alterred what I'd thought my tastes were, and are now satisfying them extremely well.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #565 of 4,469
I'm actually surprised that the HJE900 and the DBA-02 can sound alike, from all I've read the JHE900 is quite bass heavy, and I wouldn't have expected the treble to be brighter than the DBA. Thank you very much for the comparison, it is quite helpful for those people who like to have a mental understanding of what each IEM generally sounds like based on comparing with what they know by heard (in my case, the DBA-02).

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #566 of 4,469
The only issue I have with BA compared to dynamics are the low bass rumble that dynamics have (not talking impact here) and timbre on dynamics typically are better. The timbre of the DBA 02 aren't bad however but the low bass rumble isn't really there.

@ethan: you do realize that your Coppers were more than $50-$100 right? :p Although I'm the same pretty much. My most expensive dynamic was the RE0 and S4 and my only other dynamic purchase was the PL30 which is pretty cheap.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #567 of 4,469
Listening / A/B'ing the DBA-02 and HJE900 right now, and the similarities between the two are scary...again, i have Comply on both at the moment.,altering the "normal" sound of the 900's...silicone tips will give a greater discrepancy i'm sure. I may check that out a little later.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #568 of 4,469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back