Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #541 of 4,469
@okur: The DBA 02 do have sparkle. I think they will be fine for trance. I'd say do some more research however as you have plenty of time since these are not in stock anywhere. I'd be careful about the Westone 3 however since they are completely different sound signatures than the DBA 02. Without going much into detail these phones are more neutral and the Westones are more of a fun phone. They sounded like a more refined TF10 to my ears and have wayyy more bass in both impact and quanity than the DBA 02. Lastly consider Ethan does not have a date for their next production I think it is safe to say that there will be none for a while.

@Nightslayer: I have never tried or owned the UM1 so I have no clue how it sounds.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #542 of 4,469

Quote:
@ h20buzz, I'm so glad to hear DBA-02 feels as comfortable as X10. would you please post your impressions on how they compare SQ wise?   thanks

Funny you should ask this, because i actually was thinking at first that they were quite similar. I popped in my X10's last night for a quick comparo and found that i was wrong. The X10 has a little more but quite different bass presence,less decay would be what you'd notice the most about it. X10 sounds dark and murky in comparison to DBA-02, but i never thought of X10 as a dark sounding phone before. The DBA's are just that crystal clear, open and accurate. Very fun and natural sound. I checked track for track, volume for volume setting on my 2nd gen ipod touch. The DBA is slightly easier to drive. I also found that they're better than most in making various qualities of source material really shine their best.
I was about 2 1/2 hours into listening to the DBA's last night when the silicone tips started to irritate my ears, not because of fit, just cuz that's what they sometimes do to me, so i grabbed a pair of Comply Tx100 and slid 'em on. I was surprised that the Comply didn't kill any of the detail or treble, nor did it increase the bass. What i did find was that isolation was increased infinitely, and i found vocals to suddenly have even more authority. When i went back to the stock tips, vocals sounded slightly hollow in comparison, so i think i may stick with the Comply.
I listened so long last night that i only got 3 hours sleep....these DBA's could be considered a health hazard! Seriously, when i took 'em off last night i was wondering if even customs could improve on the sound of these.If they do than that's a scary thought. With the acquisition of these I think most everything i own other than my Panasonic's is soon for sale.
I'm hoping that somebody that has the as of late much touted Radius grabs a pair of these and does a comparison.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #544 of 4,469

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #545 of 4,469
These make me happy in the pants so much right now!!!
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #546 of 4,469
I TOLD YOU GUYS!!!! HAPPY TO SEE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY!!!!

Shall we start a Team DBA-02?
beerchug.gif

AS for instrument separation - I find the DBA's are very accurate in this regard. I have checked it both with my own hearing and with a real time phase analyzer I use for mastering. The DBA-02's are spot on - so much so that I can master with them with complete faith that my balance, tone and dynamics will come out just fine. I think that's saying quite a bit.
wink_face.gif

EDIT: I haven't used any other IEM since I wrote my initial review.
normal_smile .gif
  And in case you're wondering...I don't miss any of them.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #547 of 4,469

These should be up for bargain of the year!! :D Im wondering if i should grab a pair of the Fullsize phones aswell.

Quote:

beerchug.gif

AS for instrument separation - I find the DBA's are very accurate in this regard. I have checked it both with my own hearing and with a real time phase analyzer I use for mastering. The DBA-02's are spot on - so much so that I can master with them with complete faith that my balance, tone and dynamics will come out just fine. I think that's saying quite a bit.
wink_face.gif

normal_smile .gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #548 of 4,469

i've been using this ever since i bought it last 2weeks, nv missed my silver bullet ever since... true bargain for its price! am glad chose this over the ck10...
Quote:

beerchug.gif

wink_face.gif

normal_smile .gif

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #549 of 4,469

Quote:
i've been using this ever since i bought it last 2weeks, nv missed my silver bullet ever since... true bargain for its price! am glad chose this over the ck10...

your tempting me to get one even though i just ordered eterna v2 and silver bullet...so can you compare overall sound quality of dba02 and bullet?

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #550 of 4,469
You guys make me miss my pair even more! I'm hoping I do find them, as this is killing me not having them...

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #551 of 4,469

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Team DBA-02 forever, or till TBA-03 will come (triple balanced)
wink_face.gif

(I know, FA believes in dynamic drivers more, but who knows..)

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #552 of 4,469
Well I officially handed my CK10 to the new owner yesterday locally and these are definitely making my sale a bit easier to handle although it's always hard selling your most favorite iem and probably longest owned one as well.

@LFF: I'm glad you posted the original review since I never would have bought them otherwise.

I do find it strange however by Fischer Audio that a BA based earphone is their top model compared to a dynamic which they favor.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #553 of 4,469
for some reasons, for my pair of dba, outta the box, it sounded really dry and harsh... took a few hours of burning in b4 realizing the sound LFF described...
after listening for 2 weeks, i realized im hooked with the dba, ditching my SB aside...

they are pretty different as one is dynamic, the other is BA. to me, silverbullet has smooth and thick lush mids, warm, bigger bass than dba and a pretty 3D airy soundstage. dba on the other hand is very balanced (which i adored), accurate, bass is just right quality not quantity, depths and tone of music is done very accurately.  just went back to listen to my SB, realized its bass is muddy and drown out the details and accuracy of music. isolation wise, SB's better, but not much of an issue for me. Also, I simply adored the weight of the dba, its like wearing nothing. Just my 2 cents, solely according to what I've heard.

if u're a basshead or prefer thick warm mid, probably u may like the SB more and feel the lack of bass quantity in dba. despite that, i felt the bass of dba is just right, quality and not quantity.  i'm more of an analytical listener. 
i think its a no brainer and best bargain for its price. (not comparing with customs or higher tier $400-$600 iems)
Quote:
your tempting me to get one even though i just ordered eterna v2 and silver bullet...so can you compare overall sound quality of dba02 and bullet?

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #554 of 4,469
These have made me a armature guy, in no way will i be going back to dynamic IEM's. I listened to my IE8's after having the DBA's for so long and they sounded ridiculously dark and the bass was out of this world overblown.

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #555 of 4,469
So many great comments on DBA-02!! I had my mind set on Westone 2, but thanks to LFF´s review and Ethan's valuable comments I decided on DBAs. I´m so glad I did so. Mine arrived two day ago but have been out of town, the wait is killing me!! thank you all you guys again!!
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back