Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Feb 26, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #3,856 of 4,469

Quote:
I had the same problem but with the medium stock tips. Shure grey soft flex have been my solution to this problem. Use the same size Shure as your preferred stock tip size. They sound very much like the stock single flanges (maybe even a bit better for bass) and are quite secure on the nozzle, without being overly tight like Shure olives.

Oh OK thanks. I'll see if I can audition those tips locally first.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #3,857 of 4,469
My DBA's have arrived back from Westone w/ new custom sleeves.  Gorgeous and sound great!  I'll post some pics once I get access to a friends 5D MarkII.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3,858 of 4,469
Congrats. And I know just what you should listen to with them...

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3,859 of 4,469
Whoa! DBAs paired with custom reshelled sleeves? This is seriously tempting. I have never really care for the default transparent blue housing on it, was actually considering if I have the extra cash in future, perhaps I might reshell to a deep red or dark purple for it. What's the cost of reshelling with Westone for the DBA-02s, might sharing? Also, how many drivers were added after reshelling? Just curious. :)

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #3,860 of 4,469

Quote:
Whoa! DBAs paired with custom reshelled sleeves? This is seriously tempting. I have never really care for the default transparent blue housing on it, was actually considering if I have the extra cash in future, perhaps I might reshell to a deep red or dark purple for it. What's the cost of reshelling with Westone for the DBA-02s, might sharing? Also, how many drivers were added after reshelling? Just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Umm, these aren't reshelled.  Just sleeves.  None of that UM extra driver stuff either.  I personally don't believe in that concept myself.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #3,861 of 4,469
Hi guys

Just to let you know that, I sent the DBA-02 with problem in one of the earcups to GD-audiobase.com for warranty.
Today the responsible for gd-audiobase.com sales said they are sending me a new one!!
I am glad Fischer audio support works just like the sound... lol!

@ anaxilus,

I am anxious to see the pictures of your custom sleeves. Where did you get them from?

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #3,862 of 4,469
So I finally got a pair of the DBA-02 from Ethan.  Now I really need to find some tips that work for me.

I have read that these tips come recommended:

Klipsch Doubles
Comply p-types
Comply T/Tx - 100
Sure Ultra Soft Sleeves
Ety's Triple Flanges

So I am trying to decide which to buy.  I am real new to IEMs so all I have to base fit off of is what came with the DBA-02s.  The best fit, of the ones that were supplied, were the ones on the DBAs when they arrived.  So the middle size black ones.  All the rest of the tips do not fit that well.  The clear ones have that hard center that hurts and I can not for the life of me get the triple flanges that came with the headphones to seal at all.  So should I stay away from the Ety's Triples?  I am trying to get a deeper fit.  Also with the Klipsch which size should I get?  They come in small and large.  I am just trying not to waste my money on something that will not fit and hoping that someone has most of these lying around and can compare sizes for me.

Thanks for all your help.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #3,864 of 4,469
As of two days ago, I am a happy new owner of the DBA-02! At first I was just a little disappointed by how agressive the treble was and by how much I needed to EQ the bass to get it to my liking, but after six or so hours, something burned in and I couldn't be happier.

Well, almost. The cables reaaally scare me. I upgraded from a Westone UM1 because the cable broke and I figured I'd put the money toward a new set rather than repairing the old one, but the cables on the DBA are easier to tangle, easier to unbraid, and have very little strain relief. Is there any way of improving the strain relief, at least? I tried heatshrink but that was uncomfortable and I'm not sure it was particularly helpful. I was thinking of applying some soft-setting silicone to extend the strain relief on the buds but I figured I'd consult the community since someone probably already modded these.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #3,865 of 4,469

Quote:
As of two days ago, I am a happy new owner of the DBA-02! At first I was just a little disappointed by how agressive the treble was and by how much I needed to EQ the bass to get it to my liking, but after six or so hours, something burned in and I couldn't be happier.

Well, almost. The cables reaaally scare me. I upgraded from a Westone UM1 because the cable broke and I figured I'd put the money toward a new set rather than repairing the old one, but the cables on the DBA are easier to tangle, easier to unbraid, and have very little strain relief. Is there any way of improving the strain relief, at least? I tried heatshrink but that was uncomfortable and I'm not sure it was particularly helpful. I was thinking of applying some soft-setting silicone to extend the strain relief on the buds but I figured I'd consult the community since someone probably already modded these.

Congrats!

As for the strain relief, don't worry about it. I have used mine so much and they travel with me nearly everywhere. When I am done, I just wrap them around my pmp and they go inside my pocket. Not one problem thus far!

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #3,866 of 4,469
So on this page, http://www.bugdenaudio.com/store/fischer-audio-dba-02.html , a few days ago the "add to cart" button was changed to "notify" or something to that extent. Last night, I received an e-mail from bugden audio saying that the dba-02s were now in stock. Indeed, the button has been changed from notify to "add to cart", but this disclaimer still remains.

"The DBA-02 is currently on backorder. If you place an order, you will be notified as soon as it is back in stock.
We currently do not know when the next batch is set to arrrive, but it should be soon. You may cancel your order at any time, simply email us with your order number and we will process your cancellation.Fischer Audio's flagship IEM is based on a high-quality dual Balanced Armature configuration"

So does anyone know whether these are in stock or not? I'm afraid to order, because I really don't want to wait that long and could opt for a different pair if they aren't actually in stock.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3,867 of 4,469

Bugden replaced mine as well! Can't wait to get them back, never really got a good chance to compare them to the hd600s. 

I'm curious about the sleeves as well. I can finally get a decent seal with the smallest tips, but it takes some time and they still unseal occasionally. 

Quote:
Hi guys

Just to let you know that, I sent the DBA-02 with problem in one of the earcups to GD-audiobase.com for warranty.
Today the responsible for gd-audiobase.com sales said they are sending me a new one!!
I am glad Fischer audio support works just like the sound... lol!

@ anaxilus,

I am anxious to see the pictures of your custom sleeves. Where did you get them from?

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #3,868 of 4,469

Quote:
Congrats!

As for the strain relief, don't worry about it. I have used mine so much and they travel with me nearly everywhere. When I am done, I just wrap them around my pmp and they go inside my pocket. Not one problem thus far!

Thanks! That is very reassuring indeed. I guess the cables are so much more flexible than the Westones' (almost to a fault, since they're so easy to tangle) that strain relief becomes a non-issue.

I really wasn't sure how to EQ these at first so I figured it would help to determine the frequency response. That way, I could apply the inverse of the frequency response curve and get a relatively flat resulting curve. The results were interesting! With a lot more bass, they sound like an entirely new (and in my opinion, even better) set. I'd rather not post it at the moment, since there were a few big mistakes in my methodology (I have an attenuator that could change the crossover frequency, didn't monitor the line voltage...) but I'll post it later this week for sure! I'm basically running a generator on the phones at specific tones and then determining and plotting the output, in decibels.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #3,869 of 4,469
Dear DBA lovers, i've recently lost my SM3s. I think i left it in the bus. Idk. It's lost. Gone. $500 just flew away, like a butterfly. 

And thus i begin my search of a new iem, with a budget of +/- $250 . I've narrowed it down to the DBAs, ER4S, and RE0.
It'll be properly amped by my p3 heron with a powerful op-amp, the ad743jn :)
I know i i'm posting in the wrong thread, but which one of this sounds the best to all of you? 
I'm quite inclined to go with the DBAs but there's competition, recently.

Going for a nice tight punchy bass, clear mids, and a slightly hot treble, without sibilance.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3,870 of 4,469
Quote:
Dear DBA lovers, i've recently lost my SM3s. I think i left it in the bus. Idk. It's lost. Gone. $500 just flew away, like a butterfly. 

And thus i begin my search of a new iem, with a budget of +/- $250 . I've narrowed it down to the DBAs, ER4S, and RE0.
It'll be properly amped by my p3 heron with a powerful op-amp, the ad743jn :)
I know i i'm posting in the wrong thread, but which one of this sounds the best to all of you? 
I'm quite inclined to go with the DBAs but there's competition, recently.

Going for a nice tight punchy bass, clear mids, and a slightly hot treble, without sibilance.

ER4S should be better with that source than the DBA-02. RE0 is also great. Actually, I would take RE0 over the DBA-02 with that setup. But I think I would take the ER4S over both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back