Review: Fischer Audio Daleth & A'Leph
Jul 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xaf

New Head-Fier

So...today we take a look at two models from the Signature series, probably considered a more "consumer-oriented" than the Fundamentals (certainly their asking price is a little bit less). Each model in the range is named after a letter in the Greek (Lambda, Sigma, Omega, and the defunct Sampi) or the Phoenician (A'Leph, Daleth) alphabet. The latter two models are the ones which will be on review here.

Packaging (2/5)

Both earphones come in a neatly presented box which has a clear bit of plastic on the back showing off the earphones and the eartips they come with. In fact, apart from the instruction manual, that's all they come with (the Daleth also has a shirt clip which was pre-attached to the earphones already). Altogether  basic but functional.

On a side note, printed somewhere on the boxes are the symbols reflecting their names. For the A'Lephs is the Hebrew symbol for A while for the Daleth is the original Phoenician symbol for D. I just thought that was interesting....yes I have too much time on my hands.

Design and Build quality (Daleth: 2/5 A'Leph: 4/5)

Starting with the Daleth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the only earphone FA produces which uses a wooden driver housing. Apart from that, the driver nozzle is made of plastic and is stuck with some sort of glue to the wood. I know very certain that it's some sort of glue because once while I was changing the eartips,  I managed to (accidentally) separate the nozzle structure from the housing, and that's quite worrying. Now I'm paranoid about them coming apart. That's not the only thing, the base of the strain relief where the cable enters the right earpiece has a small chunk missing out of it...not that it really matters consider the strain relief isn't doing much anyway, that and I can now sort of identify the right earpiece in the dark...And that's a good thing because the print on the housing rubs off quite easily as well, quite a bit of the FA logo on the right housing is gone, and this is with use totalling about 15 hours. Apart from that, I like the simple way the earphones are designed, I just wished it was a bit more durable.

The A'Leph on the other hand feels much more solid. These seem to be the flagship of the Signature series, suggested by the tag near the 3.5mm plug which says 'ALEPH' similar to how the Eterna has a similar tag (which says 'ETERNA' of course). The first thing that you notice though with these is how light they are. They feel absolutely weightless. I reckon this is due to the plastic housing on these being quite this as the earphones have a tendency to stick to each other (albeit quite weakly) due to magnetic attraction. Lefts and rights can be identified by either the indented L/R letters or the coloured backings of the earphones which are blue and red (L/R respectively). As for the overall design, I'll let you be the judge as to what you think of them.

Both have cables of reasonable thickness and both terminate in a solid L-plug, so hopefully that bodes well for both earphones' durability.

Comfort, Isolation and Microphonics (Daleth: 4/5, 3/5, 4/5 A'Leph: 4.5/5, 4.5/5, 4/5)

Both earphones are very light, especially the A'Leph, and combined with the fact they're not very big means they are very comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

WRT isolation, the A'Leph with double flange tips and worn over the ear wins hands down. The Daleth are a little bit better than average, and as comfortable as they are, I occasionally struggle to get a good fit with these which can hurt isolation as well.

Microphonics for both are slightly detectable when worn straight down, virtually all gone when worn over the ear.

Soundstage (Daleth: 6.5/10 A'Leph: 7.5/10)

The Daleth has a slightly above average soundstage, more depth than width. It still comes off as a very forward, almost to an in-you-face sound. The A'Leph has a better soundstage overall with more feeling of width as well as depth.

Sound Quality (Daleth: 7.3/10 A'Leph: 7.25/10)

These two are very different offerings in terms of sound, but I will say from the outset here, of the 10 FA earphones I have in my possession, the A'Leph, while not my favourite, impressed me the most. To me, what they sound like is basically what I will call "Eterna-lite". The overall presentation and the shape of the sound is nearly an exact replica of the Eterna, with the differences between these being very subtle. It has good, speed, articulation and detail,  but is not as spacious as the Eterna, nor is the positioning of sound as good. Detail when there are lots of layers falls away ever so slightly. The A'Leph is still very much a natural, fun sounding earphone, but not nearly as musical as Eterna which is subtly more rich, subtly more immersive, subtly more smooth, subtly more refined, but again, it is only subtly different.

The Daleth while not nearly as impressive as the A'Leph, is not bad by any means. It's position in the Signature series is a bit like the Paradigm v2 in the Fundamentals in that it has a very vocal, upper mids and treble focus. The difference is that it also has more midbass, which can be considered  quite common throughout the FA range. Overall, more analytical sounding than fun but the more prominent lower frequencies means it is also nicely balanced out (despite the vocals being the centre of attention) and this is very evident in instrumental music. Positioning and balancing and transparency between layers is also very impressive.

Treble (Daleth: 7.5/10 A'Leph: 7.9/10):
Daleth: Bright, sparkly highs, upper mids, can be harsh on the rare occasions. Carries good detail and speed, has a BA feel to it.
A'Leph: Not as prominent as the mids or lows but is never recessed. Rolls off a little as you keep going up

Mid-range (Daleth: 7.5 A'Leph: 8.25):
Daleth: Mids , lower mids very luscious sounding (but not very warm), well detailed, instrument separation and layering, well complimented by the upper and lower frequencies. Vocals have a quality of being forward and even echo-y but gets somewhat veiled at the same time if the vocal is quiet or if the volume is low, I don't really know how to describe it, nor am I sure if it is because the housing is made of wood.
A'Leph: Sweet sounding, musical, rich, immersive, but just one step down from the Eterna. Good detail overall although detail depth direction is only slightly above average especially when quite a few things are going on at once.

Bass (Daleth: 7/10 A'Leph: 8.25/10):  
Daleth: Not as much impact and quantity as the A'Leph but continues the same luscious quality as the other frequencies and blends well without bleeding evidently into the mid-range.
A'Leph: Doesn't kick nearly as hard as the Eterna but it is similarly tight and well controlled, never bloated.

Conclusion

At the end of the day, for those who can't afford the Eterna, the A'Leph is more than capable of stepping in, and that's saying quite a bit for something that costs half as much. As for the Daleth, I have no problems recommending them for their sound (personally I like the analytical type sound myself) but sadly that's not the only thing that makes a good earphone, and the build quality and durability of these leaves a quite a bit of room for improvement.

It's not difficult to be impressed by FA. It's refreshing to see that the people at FA love their music while also understanding that others do as well. They also realise that not everyone can afford to pay to find the sound they enjoy. With the Daleth and especially the A'Leph they have yet again managed to bring performance which well and truly exceeds the price range in which they fight in ($28USD for the Daleth and $30USD for the A'Leph) and if these two sound this nice, I would love to get the opportunity to hear what the likes of the Sigma, Lambda, and going up a bit, the Axiom and Equilibrium sound like, and how they compare and fit within their respective ranges.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 18
What would you say about Daleth phones compared to Silver Bullet ?

Thanks.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 18
Would you please PM me where I can order the Aleph IEM. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 18
How much do they cost?

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
How much do they cost?

Quote:
Would you please PM me where I can order the Aleph IEM. Thanks.

Assuming you're both talking about the A'Leph, I made a request to Dmitry at gd_audiobase (who has been very helpful and have had good experience with) to get them in for me as he doesn't have them listed. I got them for $30+$10 for shipping.

Update: I've since been informed by Ethan that the prices are as follows: Daleth is $28.20 and the A'Leph is $24.60

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
What would you say about Daleth phones compared to Silver Bullet ?

Thanks.

Do you mean in terms of sound? The SBs are very spacious and airy. Bass is a bit slow, but has good impact and control, mids are not quite recessed and along with the treble, while while not particularly forward either, they do carry a good amount of detail and demonstrate good positioning within the large soundstage.

The Daleth, in comparison, are bright. Much more vocal, upper-mid and treble forward. It can be a bit tiring to listen compared to the laid back nature of the SBs. Bass-wise they probably fall a bit short in terms of quantity to the SBs but they balance out well with the rest of the range (despite being biased towards different ends). The soundstage is quite a bit smaller in terms of width but is just as good depth-wise with a reasonable amount of separation between layers. It is much more in your face than the SBs.

Overall, they are different creatures with rather different sound signatures, and it really depends on what type of sound you're looking for and whether you can deal with the airiness of the SBs.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks a lot xaf, I own the Silver Bullets yet and look for some Fischer Audio phones in the 20-35$ range. I prefer the sound of the SB over the ECCI PR200 for example, they're more spacious, airy and warmer, and vocals sound pretty well. I think I'll order the Daleth because I'm not looking for bass and i want to try something brighter.

I'm not an audiophile, new to the IEM world and I need to refine my search for the sound that fit my needs, your review and comparison helped a lot.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 18
Just some quick thoughts

I have listened to most of the FA Signature and Fundamentals series (sampi, a'leph, omega, silver bullet, equilibrium, evolution, axiom and paradigm v.1). As an avid rock listener I lean towards the equilibrium which brings a warmer tone than the other fundamentals, and the a'leph in the signature series. I found the sound of the silver bullet almost too airy and brittle for my music, but they work better with vocals and have a nice soundstage. The axiom I found most dissapointing, mainly since it's considered a "rock-iem". It's more confined and tinny and just feels inferior to both the other fundamentals and even most of the signatures I've tried (except perhaps sampi which was underwhelming), The ohmega has a weird fit that won't suit everyone since it takes a little time to get them just right (the cable winds upwards and behind the ears) but has a sound very similiar to the a'leph, so should still be considered if you like the fit.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks msninja, your comments are very interesting, I was more into rock many years ago, now I'm not focused to one music style.
I think I could use IEMs slightly warmer, less spacious and airy than SB, but I like good separation and soundstage that don't make me feel I'm in the middle of the instruments/band I'm listening to, and I'm sure I'm not basshead.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Thanks msninja, your comments are very interesting, I was more into rock many years ago, now I'm not focused to one music style.
I think I could use IEMs slightly warmer, less spacious and airy than SB, but I like good separation and soundstage that don't make me feel I'm in the middle of the instruments/band I'm listening to, and I'm sure I'm not basshead.
smile_phones.gif

@ zest, if you're looking at FA for something like that, then the Enigma is one that is worth considering as well. From my comparisons, it sounds a lot like the SB but because it is narrower, everything is a little bit more forward and concentrated. I think I have a review here somewhere where I did some brief comparisons with between the SB and the Enigma

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 18
I don't know if there were something wrong with the SB's I tried, but they seemed to lack almost any bass response whatsoever. I sell FA headphones at a store here in sweden, and I have yet to sell one pair of SB's because of this. I think I might have to see if I can get another pair for testing from my supplier and see if the first ones are defective. Are they really supposed to be so airy and "light"? (Sorry, my main language isn't english so I'm not good at describing things like this!)  :)

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Are they really supposed to be so airy and "light"? (Sorry, my main language isn't english so I'm not good at describing things like this!)  :)

They're airy, but I think spacious and laid back might be better to describe them. Nothing really sounds forward but the bass and the lower-mids are still where the bias is. Amping them will give it that little bit extra and  makes it sound mildly fuller as well. Also takes some time to get used to, so if you use it for a a week and let your ears adjust to the sound and soundstage, you may find that it's not as bass-weak as you describe :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back