[REVIEW] Etymotic MC5
Apr 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #31 of 47

Quote:
I live in Singapore and it isn't particularly easy to get my hands on spare filters for the mc5. No shop sells em as far as i can look. Do you think it is possible to fit in phonak or ER-4 filters into the mc5? I do know where to get phonak filters or ER-4 filters

Even if you did manage to fit the phonak or ER-4 filters to the MC5 (which I doubt you will be able to), the sound signature will almost absolutely change.... whether for good or for worse, I can't say...

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #32 of 47
I live in Singapore and it isn't particularly easy to get my hands on spare filters for the mc5. No shop sells em as far as i can look. Do you think it is possible to fit in phonak or ER-4 filters into the mc5? I do know where to get phonak filters or ER-4 filters

Phonak's filters are out-of-question as they have totally different diameter and shape. You can fit ER4 filter to MC5, but it will probably change the sound of MC5. Still it might worth a try since buying from Etymotic directly is going to cost US$50 in shipping for filter worth $15. You can also try to put a tiny piece of foam inside as an DIY fix if ER4's filter doesn't work out.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #33 of 47
Hmmmm, in times of desperation, I sticked on my brother's TDK BA-200 filters on them. They sound just as harsh without filters. Unfiltered MC5 sounds awful in every way. I tried tracing paper as filters, but hardly got any sound from either channel. It muffles way too much. Hmmmm USD50 for shipping is a tad bit steep, for I am a student. I think i'll just leave them be for now and use my main earphones, the FA tandem anyways.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #34 of 47
Why not try ER4 filter? They can be found at Stereo Electronic sometime for much cheaper price than straight from Etymotic.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #35 of 47
There are several things you can use as filter material.  I use small pieces of an old pair of my wife's stocking hose -- cut little squares about 10 mm and put it over the nozzle, then the ear tip over it.  I've also used used hot air dryer sheets -- there is other thin material you can use.

May 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #36 of 47
Just be aware that any substitute is likely to change the sound significantly. Ety's filter is not just a filter, it's part of how they tailor the frequency response.

If you keep your ears clean the filters actually last a long time- if you grit your teeth (yeah, that international shipping charge sounds painful!) and buy a package, you may well get several years out of it.

May 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
Just be aware that any substitute is likely to change the sound significantly. Ety's filter is not just a filter, it's part of how they tailor the frequency response.

+1
It's generally known that filters change the way IEM's sound

May 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #38 of 47
We call them filter, but they are known as acoustic damper in the business.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 47
Just posting in here to say, I've been listening to my MC5 for a few days now, and I really do like it. I'm using the foam tips, and it isolates better than any iem I've used (and even better than my previous use of jbuds j3 + over-ear earmuffs). I chose the mc5 because I'm a groundskeeper at a car dealership, and I'm on a mower (that runs at about 90db) all day. With the foam tips, I can listen to even soft cello music without cranking the volume much at all, and I can listen to more modern stuff at regular volume. With a "regular" push mower, I can barely hear it running, with the music off. I find the bass to be less than perfect, but it responds well to eq, and doesn't distort, so there's no major artifacts or resonances to amplify. I may just be uneducated on what "good" iem's sound like, but the MC5 pulls out detail just as well as my AKG sextetts do, and have a very good sound stage for an iem (in my experience). The comfort with the foams is 2nd to none, I wore them for ~5hrs today, with maybe 20 minutes of off time, and no irritation. I got them on amazon for $60. The mids impress me, they are flat and accurate, naturally recorded chamber music has the right timbre and decay to it, although it may not be as "lush" as I prefer.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #40 of 47
I am looking for some very accurate IEM's without breaking the bank, I was looking at getting the mc3 or mc5's, I have heard them before but that was before I had heard anything HiFi. Are there any other IEM brands out there like ety's but maybe sound better and have better value? I am looking for something sub 100$ and want to have my music sound very accurate.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #41 of 47
If you are willing to spend a bit more than $100, there is the hf5 around $120. If if it must be under $100 and has a Etymotic sound, well, MC5 seems to be the only choice right now.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #42 of 47
Really, being very familiar with both the MC5 and HF5, I'd say it's well worth it to dig a bit deeper for the HF5 (especially if you're patient and wait for a good sale price- sometimes $100 or even less)- it has transparency and speed that the MC5 just can't match. But if you really have only the $60 street price of the MC5 to spend, it's certainly quite competent and on its own terms it will not disappoint anyone who prioritizes neutrality and accuracy.

By the way, if you end up with an MC5 and find yourself liking the large triflange tips, I prefer the gray HF / ER tips to the clear ones that come with the MC5, which feel stiffer to me and seem a bit harder to get a good seal with.

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #43 of 47
Hi,

I want to share my long term experience, and by long I mean I had them since 2 years but I barely used them:

• The housing broke, the joint in the shiny (aluminum) grey part and the black one (plastic) got unglued. Glued back several times, both earpieces.
  • Tips are uncomfortable for me, even the foam ones. I assume it is because of how long the housing is so you seem to have some sticks in your ears.
  • The foam tips get kind of dry and dirty quite easily.
  • The joint of the 3.5mm connector and the cable shows signs of wear, it is starting to show the cable internals
  • Related to 2. The odd long shape of the earpieces, they look and feel weird.
  • The sound. Well.. is so thin, not musical at all. I guess the lack of bass adds to the detail.

I would not recommend this headphone at all.

My 2 cents.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #44 of 47
Wow... That is quite a story.

Did you send them in under warranty?

Etymotic stands firmly behind their products.

Oh, and there is the NRB Mod for the Bass Lovers out there!!!

Cheers, Jim

Hi,

I want to share my long term experience, and by long I mean I had them since 2 years but I barely used them:

1. The housing broke, the joint in the shiny (aluminum) grey part and the black one (plastic) got unglued. Glued back several times, both earpieces.
  2. Tips are uncomfortable for me, even the foam ones. I assume it is because of how long the housing is so you seem to have some sticks in your ears.
  3. The foam tips get kind of dry and dirty quite easily.
  4. The joint of the 3.5mm connector and the cable shows signs of wear, it is starting to show the cable internals
  5. Related to 2. The odd long shape of the earpieces, they look and feel weird.
  6. The sound. Well.. is so thin, not musical at all. I guess the lack of bass adds to the detail.

I would not recommend this headphone at all.

My 2 cents.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
Wow... That is quite a story.
Did you send them in under warranty?
Etymotic stands firmly behind their products.
Oh, and there is the NRB Mod for the Bass Lovers out there!!!
Cheers, Jim

I don't live in the US, a friend bought them for me. I'm not a bass lover at all, but it is just that these are not enjoyable.

Thank you for pointing out the mod, I might try it. Anyway usability issues are at the top for me.. so now the SE215 is the one I use for isolation and comfort. The TDK EB950 are kind of contrast to the SE215 sound, interesting sound... clean but with some bass slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back