[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Mar 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #123 of 183
Quote:
Not a fan of Comply. Never with the ER-4S from experience

Yeah, I listened to them for a while, but they sounded too bright, or bright in a bad way.  Certain things like pianos stood out more as I mentioned, but things just didn't sound as neutral/flat.  It was more bright but not really better.  I found some songs more fatiguing with them.  Only slight differences, but I prefer the triple flange currently.  I find when I have them deep and well sealed they just sound incredible.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #125 of 183
Bright? I found Comply to kill the treble
I'm only assuming these are comply... They are the stock 4r foam tips. They absolutely brighten the treble for me. Odd. I generally hear the opposite as well, but these are also the long or deep version if that matters...

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #126 of 183
Quote:
I just had a brain fart, and realized I've never tried my westone 4r star tips on the er-4s.  First, they fit perfectly.  Second, they don't sound any better, but it is much easier to get a good seal quickly and with less (pretty much zero) fiddling.  They still provide very good isolation.  maybe not as much, but very close.  I find the isolation seems to have something to do with not only the etymotic tips, but the fact the the whole nozzle is in your ear.

Anyhow, they work, they might sound a little more v-shaped with recessed mids, but I'm too lazy to do a hardcore side-by-side comparison.  Needless to say, they give you a reasonable amount (not the most) of bass without hassle.  So if you have other tips lying around, you might want to try them out just to see if the fit might be the reason you're not getting decent bass.

UPDATE:  The long grey foam westone tips (grey ring for my size) are a bit more v-shaped I think.  Definitely more open sounding in the high treble and a bit more bass body.  I'm not sure if this is good or not, but they are a tad different.  Pianos seem to stand out as more clear and separated from other instruments and drums are more open and crisp... Noticeably.  Very noticeably, but smoothly.  Putting in the black foam ety tips are a bit more mid centric in comparison.  The westone are easier to use however.

So far I'd say they're the best overall.  Bass is great, fit is uber comfortable.  They don't need to go in as far as the black foam ety tips to get the same sound, so they're a little less pressure on your ear canal.  Although, I find the black tips pretty much very comfortable as well.

Hey, since i found your description of ER4 bass quite accurate could u spare some time to tell me what you think the sound of the W4R is compared to the ER4?  The W4R seem to be an upgrade to the ER4, in terms of sound signature are they similar?  Although i like i to stay away from iems that are worn up, since i prefer to wear them down.

Another thing bothering me is the microphonics on the ER4, there are adaptors for the ER4 to make them compatible with Shure or Westone cables.  I am wondering if the "Westone Epic Cables" are microphonic (worn down).

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #127 of 183
Hey, since i found your description of ER4 bass quite accurate could u spare some time to tell me what you think the sound of the W4R is compared to the ER4?  The W4R seem to be an upgrade to the ER4, in terms of sound signature are they similar?  Although i like i to stay away from iems that are worn up, since i prefer to wear them down.

Another thing bothering me is the microphonics on the ER4, there are adaptors for the ER4 to make them compatible with Shure or Westone cables.  I am wondering if the "Westone Epic Cables
ir

" are microphonic (worn down).

I can write more when I get home, but despite the price and a few other things, I actually consider the 4r a downgrade in sound quality just a tad. I can elaborate further later if you'd like...

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #128 of 183
I changed my er4s filter today...........so i did give the etymotic no-filter a try..........turn out i like the way it is without filter and leave it like dat,my only worry dat i may get dusty thru time :frowning2:

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #129 of 183
Sorry for bumping this thread but I need some help .

I decided to buy the etymoric but can't seem to decide which one to get. I'm in dilemma with er-4pt and er-4s . I understand that you can transform er-4pt to er-4s but need additional cable ? Is that right ? Which costs about 50$ ? I have already portable amps which I use most of the time. Which one should I get?

Thanks a lot for your help :wink:

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #131 of 183

Thanks a lot. If anyone knows are sellers in amazon reliable? Etymotic needs 50usd shipping which takes the price up too 350usd. Amazons sellers from japan need only 289usd ans free shipping. In ebay the same price from hong kong. Who is more trusted from your expeience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #132 of 183
I think Amazon sellers are more trustworthy in general just from my experience. I've heard a lot more issues with eBay. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #133 of 183
  I think Amazon sellers are more trustworthy in general just from my experience. I've heard a lot more issues with eBay. 

Thanks a lot for the info. I will make an order and soon but i hope warranty is 2 years when bought from sellers other than etymotic

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #135 of 183
  According to the Etymotic web site, the PT comes with the impedance cable. It does not have to be purchased separately.

I've noticed you have also the ER-4S. Any reasons why you chose that model instead of ER-4PT?
I think ER-4PT is the model i'm leaning to since it is far cheaper in amazon.co.uk than ER-4S. And you can get the two year warranty from amazon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back