[REVIEW] Etymotic HF5 or the ER-4S?
Jan 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #91 of 183
Great comparison-

I currently have an HF5 + CMOYbb amp pairing and love the setup, but was wondering if there were any other IEMs similar to the HF5 that would be considered an upgrade? I was looking to see if the ER4 series would be an "upgrade" to my HF5s but from the looks of it, I would be better off with just keeping the HF5s (funner sounding, a bit more bass, etc.)

Any other IEMs comparable to the HF5s that has that same clarity and detail, but maybe an increase in soundstage/instrument layering?

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #92 of 183
Quote:
Great comparison-

I currently have an HF5 + CMOYbb amp pairing and love the setup, but was wondering if there were any other IEMs similar to the HF5 that would be considered an upgrade? I was looking to see if the ER4 series would be an "upgrade" to my HF5s but from the looks of it, I would be better off with just keeping the HF5s (funner sounding, a bit more bass, etc.)

Any other IEMs comparable to the HF5s that has that same clarity and detail, but maybe an increase in soundstage/instrument layering?

Hmm.. The first thing that comes to mind is the GR01. To my ears, the HF has the upper hand in clarity, but the GR01 seems to have the more full and expansive sound. It's difficult to find a balance of pretty much everything and the way I see it, if you want more of something, you're gonna have to sacrifice a little of something.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #93 of 183
Thanks for the input!

I ended up getting the GR07 and was astounded by its quality (full bass, very balanced sound, outstanding unampped), however, the sound leakage and putting on the IEMs (cord down vs over the ear) are the dealbreakers at the moment. 

So I went ahead and ordered some ER4-Ps ! I chose to get the ER4ps because of its low impedence factor (CmoyBB customized to factor in low impedence iems) and to see what the overall difference would be over my HF5s. From reading the posts, it looks like I could expect even more detail and accuracy (is this even possible?)  with the ER4-Ps. 

I'll be sure to post my impressions of HF5 vs ER4-Ps (CMOYbb amped) when I get some good time with them 
gs1000.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #96 of 183
Quote:
Thanks for the input!

I ended up getting the GR07 and was astounded by its quality (full bass, very balanced sound, outstanding unampped), however, the sound leakage and putting on the IEMs (cord down vs over the ear) are the dealbreakers at the moment. 

So I went ahead and ordered some ER4-Ps ! I chose to get the ER4ps because of its low impedence factor (CmoyBB customized to factor in low impedence iems) and to see what the overall difference would be over my HF5s. From reading the posts, it looks like I could expect even more detail and accuracy (is this even possible?)  with the ER4-Ps. 

I'll be sure to post my impressions of HF5 vs ER4-Ps (CMOYbb amped) when I get some good time with them 
gs1000.gif

In general, the ER-4PT is a bit more detailed than the HF and the ER-4S is even more detailed than the ER-4PT. It makes sense to get the ER-4P(T) because you can add impedance adapters to make it into an ER-4S, but you can't make an ER-4S an ER-4PT. Logic and reasoning haha, but I just went ahead with the ER-4S.

I've heard good things about the Cmoy. Personally, I haven't really tried it extensively with the ER-4 yet so I can't comment much... I'm sure it will be a good match as the ER-4 is quite flexible with matching with amps.
Quote:
Omg! I finally ordered er-4s! I dreamed for er4s 10 yrs ago and now I can afford to get a sexy er4s. I can't wait!
biggrin.gif

Hope you don't regret them! 10 years is quite a long time jeez

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #98 of 183
Received the er4p and love the detail and clarity (more clarity than the hf5) but found them a bit too fatiguing--however, I am still keeping the er4ps and have a p to s converter on the way.

Any suggestions to lessen the fatigue?

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #99 of 183
Quote:
Received the er4p and love the detail and clarity (more clarity than the hf5) but found them a bit too fatiguing--however, I am still keeping the er4ps and have a p to s converter on the way.

Any suggestions to lessen the fatigue?

What is your source??

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #100 of 183
listen to higher quality recordings. The ER4s gives you the recording as is. It is sometimes painfully honest. And make sure you are getting a good seal. Sometime, you might think to turn the volume to glaring levels to get more bass, but it's usually the seal that is the issue. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #101 of 183
Quote:
listen to higher quality recordings. The ER4s gives you the recording as is. It is sometimes painfully honest. And make sure you are getting a good seal. Sometime, you might think to turn the volume to glaring levels to get more bass, but it's usually the seal that is the issue. 

The recording is also a good indication. As childish as it seems, a good seal is vital for the ER-4. They are meant to insert deep and they are meant to fit relatively tightly in the ear. Some people aren't usually aware of that and make the mistake of returning the ER-4 all because of incorrect fit issues. I'm not doubting you canikickit1 seeing how you already have the HF, but just another suggestion that can lead to the ER-4 being unforgiving. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #102 of 183
My source is:

(Rockboxed) Ipod Classic 80gb  --> FiiO L9 --> JDSLabs CmoyBB 2.03 -->ER4P or (HF5)

The seal is great. My ears got used to the deep-inserts of ETYs. My MP3s are 320kbs, I would go FLAC but it is hard to discern the two (from my ears at least.)

UPDATE: After some testing; it might be the quality of the MP3s.. lovin the ER4Ps so far...

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #103 of 183
Quote:
My source is:

(Rockboxed) Ipod Classic 80gb  --> FiiO L9 --> JDSLabs CmoyBB 2.03 -->ER4P or (HF5)

The seal is great. My ears got used to the deep-inserts of ETYs. My MP3s are 320kbs, I would go FLAC but it is hard to discern the two (from my ears at least.)

UPDATE: After some testing; it might be the quality of the MP3s.. lovin the ER4Ps so far...

Haha I think you just have sensitive ears then. The Cmoy should soften the ER-4 a little and the added warmth is always welcome with the ER-4. I have the S and to your ears, that might be unbearable for you.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #104 of 183
Quote:
My source is:

320kbps mp3's shouldn't lack quality unless they are transcodes from a lossy source, like aac or other mp3's. It also depends on what you're listening to. Modern pop or some jazz can be fatiguing with everything but the warmest iems. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #105 of 183
I am deciding between the ER4 and re272.  The amount of bass seems to be hard to pinpoint with these analytical earphones because its quite subjective depending on person.  I was wondering for people who have heard the ER4 and the re272, which one has better bass?

My current IEM is the re-zero and I really like them, didn't seem to mind the lack of bass until I purchased the HE-400.   Now im wondering if the "upgrades" to the re0 sound in the IEM world have more or better bass.  Lately i have found the re-zero to sound a bit lacking out of the iPhone, but its almost perfect via the c421 with bass boost. 

For someone like me, would you guys recommend the ER4 or RE272.  I have noticed lots of headfiers love their ER4 and 272 as their favourite universal IEM, but wondering if the people in each camp have heard both and compared them. Want to hear from these guys!

Also, im aware the re400/600, but seems from what i read i wont like the re400 and the 600 are too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back