Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Sep 30, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #196 of 686
That will be one of my questions - a <1Ω version, please! And maybe a slightly longer version too. Cable nirvana would be <1Ω, 64 inches/160cm in lenght and with the anti-tangle tech. Maybe even a DIY-friendly, un-terminated version as I don't think it will be feasible for them to carry every single obscure termination used by head-fi'ers. I really like the 6-pin Hirrose (Ibasso balanced) connector, others swear by the Kobiconn (RSA and others), the unbalanced are mostly set with 3.5mm TRS but some like 6.35mm better and then you have the crowd with balanced desktop amps craving 2x3 pin XLR or 1x4 pin XLR. 

I too would be happy if the cables were thicker.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my bax the way they are, but my CIEM's are slightly mid recessed already, so combined with the bax I'm left with a VERY SLIGHT feeling of dissatisfaction with mid's.
Despite this there's no way I'm going back to any of the other cables I've tried, the bax is just too quiet (physically), and comfortable.

The cable is so thin though that I think it could be a bit thicker and still be super comfy.
Even if Estron made a version that doubled the amount of cables used so that there was two from the monitor to the the y split, and then a quad braid from the y-split to the plug.

I too prefer an angled plug and was considering re-terminating my cable, but your mention of the difficulties puts me off trying this a little.
Can you please describe which aspect of the re-termination presented the difficulty?

I've read that the removal of insulation on some very fine cables can be problematic, is that the difficult bit?
If so:
A friend described a technique which he claimed worked well for this, but I've never tried this myself.
Take an old soldering iron bit, and a piece of aspirin headache tablet.
Place the cable which you want to strip on top of the aspirin, and press the hot iron down on both.
Apparently the plastic melts and is dissolved by the aspirin which also melts under the iron.
BE WARNED THOUGH; the fumes produced may contain small amounts of CYANIDE so good ventilation is VITAL.
Also be sure to use an old bit for the iron, as this technique will ruin it for soldering.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #197 of 686
Can you please describe which aspect of the re-termination presented the difficulty?

I've read that the removal of insulation on some very fine cables can be problematic, is that the difficult bit?
If so:
A friend described a technique which he claimed worked well for this, but I've never tried this myself.
Take an old soldering iron bit, and a piece of aspirin headache tablet.
Place the cable which you want to strip on top of the aspirin, and press the hot iron down on both.
Apparently the plastic melts and is dissolved by the aspirin which also melts under the iron.
BE WARNED THOUGH; the fumes produced may contain small amounts of CYANIDE so good ventilation is VITAL.
Also be sure to use an old bit for the iron, as this technique will ruin it for soldering.

The wires are extremely thin as you can probably imagine - expect to be using a loupe. I used a very sharp knife to carefully cut the isolation and then tweezers to handle the wires. Not being a ham-fisted ogre will probably make it easier, but don't try to get this done in a hurry. Luckily, blood cleans off this cable easy enough.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #198 of 686
I decided to order these for my JH13. The cable rubbing against my glasses were starting to really annoy me so hopefully these do the trick. At a prior meet I remember Jude having a similar cable for his Westone ciem with the newer plug. I think they were the same cable as these and they looked like it would work well for those with glasses.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #199 of 686
I decided to order these for my JH13. The cable rubbing against my glasses were starting to really annoy me so hopefully these do the trick. At a prior meet I remember Jude having a similar cable for his Westone ciem with the newer plug. I think they were the same cable as these and they looked like it would work well for those with glasses.

The Linum will be perfect for your glasses as the there will be close to no perception of you even having a cable around your ear(s). Hopefully you won't mind the length, as I thought the cable was too short for my needs. I'm not sure the sonic effect of the cable will have negatively compared to your stock cable regarding the JH13, but it is something to consider if you value SQ (as I can tell you do because you own the awesome JH13).

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #200 of 686
Well as long as it works better with my glasses than the cable I have now I'll be happy. I don't really care about any sound benefits as I've never heard any cable differences before.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #201 of 686
Okay, sounds good. I would like to find out when you get it if you experience any sound differences/degradation with your JH13 (like muffled sound).

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #202 of 686
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting this for my Westone ES5. I read a few pages, but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

1. What style would be best for someone who listens to music and what does BaX actually mean?

2. How long is the cable?

3. Do you know of a good place to buy the cable from if I'm in Europe?

I'd appreciate if you could help me out, since I'm tired of my stock cable. It's just too heavy :p

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #203 of 686
  Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting this for my Westone ES5. I read a few pages, but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

1. What style would be best for someone who listens to music and what does BaX actually mean?

2. How long is the cable?

3. Do you know of a good place to buy the cable from if I'm in Europe?

I'd appreciate if you could help me out, since I'm tired of my stock cable. It's just too heavy :p

1.  Here is the difference between the Music and BaX versions, website is here http://www.linum.dk/linum-mmcx.aspx:
MMCX Music – 1.9ohm Impedance
MMCX BaX – dual twist – 1.4ohm Impedance

2.  The length of the cable is discussed in my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/719062/review-estron-linum-bax-new-iem-cable-for-a-new-age/105#post_10637444 - the Linum is around 49 inches in length (a few inches longer than my Shure SE846 stock cable (46").

3. Contact Linum (emails are here): http://www.linum.dk/contact.aspx and they will be able to help you out regarding distributors, as that is what I did when I wanted to purchase the Linum.

Good luck, and hope you don't mind the possible degraded/muffled sound quality.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #204 of 686

1.  Here is the difference between the Music and BaX versions, website is here http://www.linum.dk/linum-mmcx.aspx:
MMCX Music – 1.9ohm Impedance
MMCX BaX – dual twist – 1.4ohm Impedance

2.  The length of the cable is discussed in my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/719062/review-estron-linum-bax-new-iem-cable-for-a-new-age/105#post_10637444 - the Linum is around 49 inches in length (a few inches longer than my Shure SE846 stock cable (46").

3. Contact Linum (emails are here): http://www.linum.dk/contact.aspx and they will be able to help you out regarding distributors, as that is what I did when I wanted to purchase the Linum.

Good luck, and hope you don't mind the possible degraded/muffled sound quality.

Thanks a ton! Will check the links right now :)

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #205 of 686
I bought the BaX cable a few weeks ago, and the only thing that I really had and issue with was lenght of the Y termination, I found it too short and I kept touching my neck. But not issues with connectors to my Shure 525.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #206 of 686
I have the MMCX BaX - dual twist part 8000059 for sale if anyone is interested. I only tried it for like 5 minutes and put it back in the bag. I also don't have my Shure anymore so I have no use for the cable. Its practically brand new still, PM me for price and details.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #208 of 686
Oct 7, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #209 of 686

Wow, that was fast...I wonder what you sold it for...either way, good job!

LOL. It actually sold way before I updated the post. I just wanted to stop the PMs :D

I let it go for $65 shipped. Now I have the IE800 and loving it so far. But just like every other headphone/set I get, there is always something about it that makes it NOT the perfect one :frowning2:

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #210 of 686

LOL. It actually sold way before I updated the post. I just wanted to stop the PMs :D

I let it go for $65 shipped. Now I have the IE800 and loving it so far. But just like every other headphone/set I get, there is always something about it that makes it NOT the perfect one :frowning2:

It will never be perfect, never
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back