Review: Double Helix Sennheiser Limited Edition cable
Apr 23, 2009 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

PascalT

100+ Head-Fier
I was a bit skeptical about cables making any difference but I decided to give it a try. I wanted to remove some of the muddiness and "veil" that was very present in my HD650s. I stumbled upon Peter's website, Double Helix, and saw that he had a cable for a very decent price. Compared to other companies who charge 2x for the same kind of cable, I felt like it was worth a try.

Within an hour Peter was talking to me through IM about the very vast array of customizations I could do to the cable. Eventually we agreed on a 5' Limited Edition cable which featured a Furutech plug, Neotech upocc wire and Cardas connectors. The whole thing was sleeved with nylon multifilament from Techflex. I chose the black/red color combination.

After a day I got some "in progress" pics and within 3 days it was built and shipped to me.

Did it improve the sound? It sure did. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but to my pleasant surprise it made a very BIG difference in the sound. The biggest differences came in clarity and soundstage. Both increased significantly and the veil I was complaining about for a year was now gone. Note that while the transformation was immediate, it did get better and better over the following 20-30 hours of usage. The highs became clearer and the bass had a lot of punch added to it.

The cable itself is pretty flexible and not too constricting. I got a bit of a short cable, 5 feet, and I'd probably recommend 6' if you want your amp further away than mine (about 2-3 ft).

The built quality is top notch with the sleeving done very tight and with everything flush together.

I was a bit suspicious about spending money on a cable but after having experienced it I can safely recommend this upgrade to anyone who uses HD650s and is looking for that extra level in their phones. It really does improve the sound and to a level worth the cost. It also helps that Double Helix's service was A+ all the way and spent a good amount of time working with me on making a cable I wanted and also to explain the whole process.

Here's some pictures of the cable
smily_headphones1.gif

dac3.jpg

dac2.jpg

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 103
I'm waiting on some ICs done by him as well. To replace those uhmm ugly radio shack ones I am using now.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 103
His cables have been good to me =D Loving them. I found out about him from his first post in for sale a few months back.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Scootermafia runs Double Helix. How did you guys find out about Double Helix?

Yes he does run it. And I found out about him through a post here on Head-Fi. I didn't want to pay $250 for a cable so someone suggested it to me.

Apr 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 103
Thanks for the review, glad to hear that you're satisfied. I'm getting close to purchasing an HD600, so aftermarket cable reviews like this really help me.

I have also looked closely at the Double Helix stuff, seeing that their prices are indeed very reasonable compared to others. Too bad a 5' cable won't work for me (for now), so I'll be looking to a customized one with upgrades to 10', nylon, and possibly a furutech plug and UPOCC wires. Input on this setup is appreciated.

Oh hey, my first post.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 103
also went to Peter and Double Helix for an aftermarket cable for my new (brand new, that is. found them in an obscure electronics store here in Zurich. even got a 2 year warranty!) HD580's. we are currently in discussion about how i should go and he is very communicative, knowledgeable, polite and professional. not having heard them yet i cannot say on the SQ of the Double Helix, but if Peter's attitude towards his beautifully crafted cables are any indicator, i know they are going to be awesome. just dealing with him alone is worth it.

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantonese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, glad to hear that you're satisfied. I'm getting close to purchasing an HD600, so aftermarket cable reviews like this really help me.

I have also looked closely at the Double Helix stuff, seeing that their prices are indeed very reasonable compared to others. Too bad a 5' cable won't work for me (for now), so I'll be looking to a customized one with upgrades to 10', nylon, and possibly a furutech plug and UPOCC wires. Input on this setup is appreciated.

Oh hey, my first post.
normal_smile .gif

welcome to head-fi and sorry about your... ah, nevermind.

i was also considering nylon for my build (as well as that blinging reflect stuff) but will probably go with the basic 2 layer PET. the nylon does look and feel pretty nice tho, so i think if you like it you can't go wrong.

regarding wire, i understand that he also offers stranded core wire which is what i will go with. i am using it for portable use so i want it as flexible as possible. obviously solid wire is the way to go for best SQ, such as the UPOCC wires. also not a bad choice at all.

about the length, 10' is probably the longest you want to go as the SQ will degrade the longer the cable goes, but it really is up to your setup.

can't comment on the futuretech plug, but i hear that its pretty good. no idea first hand tho.

please share your experiences when you get your cable.. and pix... don't forget pix! they are quite beautiful...

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 103
if you need more than 5' he can do 6' or 7' as well. I was going to take a 3' one but he recommended 5'.
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 103
it's hard to tell really.. but you're probably right. I just moved it elsewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 103
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I want a longer cord is because the HD600 will be powered by an Asus Xonar Essence STX in the back of my computer sitting 3' away, which is temporary until I get enough funds for a dedicated headphone amp unit. However, if there is not going to be a significant drop off in SQ from 5' to 10', I would not mind the freedom to move around my bedroom wearing the phone, but I certainly don't want the SQ drop to nullify the extra I'm paying for the wire upgrade. I'll likely be talking with Peter over this when I do make my purchase.

I also saw the reflective sleeving stuff, look kind of like fishnets in the picture in his site, maybe better on a good pair of legs than cables? Plus I have a "fetish" for braided/clothed cables, so I think the nylon would be real nice.
biggrin.gif

I'll definitely have some pictures ready once the setup materializes, hopefully in the very near future.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back