REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware)
Apr 23, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #121 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Again Skylab. I recall in the D2000 thread you said that there isn't much point in giving the D5000 the darth treatment....but, do you think they'd benefit from Larry's recabling? Perhaps something silver? Also, do you find the bass bloated at all? I recall my HD650s were rather bloated until the cable upgrade to the Equinox.

No, I don't think the bass is bloated at all. It's weighty, but very firm and tight. I can't say if it would benefit from a recable, but it's own cable is certainly a huge step above most headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab - is there any comparison you can make between these and the ATH-W1000's that you used to own?

I'm interested with getting a pair of W1000's for my work rig (and pair it with a Yamamoto HA-02). Just wondering if these are worth a look instead.

Cheers!

Sure, that's easy - the D5000's are very similar to the W1000 with the significant exception that the W1000's severely lack bass weight, and the D5000 has it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, I am extremely interested in the D5000, as it has many compelling qualities to me. This may seem like an odd request, but can you do a comparison of it's sound to that of a kramer-modded KSC-75? In particular, I would like to know how it compared in terms of treble, midrange, bass, soundstage, imaging, detail, dynamics and speed. Also, how is it in terms of "clarity"? Ever since I heard the K1000, every other headphone I have heard sounded "veiled" to some extent.

Why do I want such an in depth comparison to a cheap headphone like the KSC75? Well, I really like the sound of the KSC75 and I have been looking for a high end fullsize headphone that has similar sound characteristics. The fact that the D5000 is closed is just icing on the cake if it is in fact the headphone I have been searching for.

On another note, if anybody who has a D5000 ends up not liking it, or for whatever reason need to get it off your hands, I will buy it from you.

Sorry, can't help you there. Never heard any form of KSC75.

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #122 of 562
The Denon D2000 (and by extension the D5000) sounds similar to the Koss headphones, but everything is faster with more detail and more authoritative bass. There is more top end extension. Also a lot more comfy and better build quality. What's not to like about these new Denons?

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #123 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, that's easy - the D5000's are very similar to the W1000 with the significant exception that the W1000's severely lack bass weight, and the D5000 has it.

Skylab (or anyone else): can you compare the Denon cans to the AT W100?

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #125 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're not free and not enough people have heard them ;p

they are free if you sell your ultrasones. i compared the Ultrasone 2500 and these D2000s side by side and the Denons were superior. More intimate, less metallic, more natural-sounding. What's not to like about these Denons?
orphsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #126 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab (or anyone else): can you compare the Denon cans to the AT W100?

Sorry, no can do.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #128 of 562
I told you, guys.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On 750 versus D2000 question, yes I have, in fact, tried comparing two.
750 have crisp but imo brute details and overall sounded "acute" and metallic in comparison, the bass even good in quantity didn't sound as natural and pleasant as D2000. And of course soundstage spaciousness as well as comfort
frown.gif
not even close.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #129 of 562
i found the soundstage on the 2500's to be bigger than the denon's, but the denon had a more accurate image. also, there's something about the soundstage on both cans that is addicting, which is surprising coming from me as soundstage rates lowest on priority for me.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #130 of 562
I'm going to make this a one-off post...

I heard the W5000 and the D5000 at the int'l meet yesterday, off Agile_One's laptop-apogee Mini-DAC-Yamamoto HA-02 setup. Many thanks to the guys in the high-end room who let me hog the setup
smily_headphones1.gif

I can see why Skylab likes the D5000s - I'd call them a "hybrid" between K701s and DT990s (I can't remember the DT880 sound properly). What this means is the music (crappily produced Jpop, ahem) is much more intimate and close sounding on the Denons. The bass was also very upfront and in your face, quite impactful, which means that the mids that I love on the K701s were just a bit too far recessed for me to enjoy. I'd argue that the K701s, by indirect comparison sound warm and fuzzy compared to the Denons.

The W5000s have no bass, IMO. I didn't spend too much time with the w5000 on the HA-02, but tried Malos's W5000s on daba's Rega-some DAC (I think it was my DA100)-Mapletree HD150 and I felt this incredibly WIDE (horizontal wide, not orchestra-3d-wide) soundstage. It brings vocals (soprano-range female vocals) right next to your ear and just about everything else several metres back.

The Denons don't sound really anything like the ATs.

I'd say the Denons are a nice headphone that improves on the DT990s (tight, impactful, in-your-face bass, which covers the mids a bit slightly). The W5000s are a totally different headphone than anything I've heard.

Oh, and comfort-wise: The pleather on both are absolutely great. I have a very small head - I had to set the Denons to just one notch. The ATs gripped my head a bit tighter, but nothing compared to the K701s.

Because I'm not that much of a fan of the beyer sound (having said this, I think beyers bring a lot of life to real oldies like The Platters, or Connie Francis, Pattie Page, etc.), I'd pick the ATs because they sound so different.

Then again, I don't have ~6-700 dollars to blow in the first place, so I won't be getting either.

Apr 23, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #133 of 562
I felt the W5000s were more "plasticy" smooth leather, while the Denons were "comfortable-to-sink-into" leather.
biggrin.gif

Definitely nothing like the sponges (velvet?) of the beyers and senns, or the stiff cups on the K701s, or the weird scratchy bowls of Grados.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #134 of 562
Thats it. I've got some equipment I need to sell, and possibly some headphones, and then I am going to order the D5000s.

Has anybody tried adding impedance to them or going balanced yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #135 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats it. I've got some equipment I need to sell, and possibly some headphones, and then I am going to order the D5000s.

Has anybody tried adding impedance to them or going balanced yet?
very_evil_smiley.gif

don't add impedance! just get an amp that is good at driving low impedance phones. My amp can drive 0.1ohm speakers. 25ohms is a walk in the park for a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back