REVIEW: Denon AH-D5000 (56k beware)
Apr 23, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #138 of 562
Ya, the 5000 look amazinger, but i dont think that qualifies the 2x price tag. Although, they do look quite good...

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #139 of 562
Listening to the denons right now through a singlepower extreme amplifier. I am in complete headphone nirvana. The amount of resolution these phones are capable of is nothing short of astounding.

After some very limited and completely amateur tube rolling I have managed a combination that combines the intimacy of the grado vocal presentation with a very full sounding soundstage.

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #140 of 562
Nice to see more people are getting the Denons and loving them, as I do. They continue to really make me happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #141 of 562
So Skylab- shouldn't you just be able to email your good buddy Larry and say- "How much for those Darth Denons?" Come on, is he really going to make his best customer jump through the same hoops as the rest of us? We need a D5000/ Darth Denon review- flex some of that clout for the team.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #142 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see more people are getting the Denons and loving them, as I do. They continue to really make me happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very seriously considering them. I had been thinking about sending my DT 770 to Larry for some love, but now I'm considering just getting the Denons (and also moving on from the W100).

However, I am still tempted to send my DT 770 to Larry for balancing.

But running the Denons balanced should be as simple as chopping the plug and reterminating, correct?

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #143 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Skylab- shouldn't you just be able to email your good buddy Larry and say- "How much for those Darth Denons?" Come on, is he really going to make his best customer jump through the same hoops as the rest of us? We need a D5000/ Darth Denon review- flex some of that clout for the team.
biggrin.gif

LOL! As great of a relationship as I have with Larry, he is a straight-ahead fair guy and does not treat me differently from any other customer. So I have to get lucky, just like any of the rest of you!

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #144 of 562
Hey Skylab....so you say you only run the D5000s with the MG Head in non-OTL mode (i.e. transformer mode)? Any thing "wrong" with the OTL sound? Also, what tubes are you running?

PS. about that bass again....was it presented in spades both at the beginning and after lots of running in, or did it settle down after a while?

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #145 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000s have no bass, IMO.

Ouch!

If they fitted loosely and the earpads didn't seal, that might've been a reason for the lack of bass.

Quote:

We need a D5000/ Darth Denon review- flex some of that clout for the team.
biggrin.gif

Yes, and hopefully someone who already has a D5000 and likes it.

I think Skylab is a lucky guy.
cool.gif

Wait, what am I doing in this thread?

*beats a hasty retreat, mumbling incoherently about bassheads*

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #146 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Skylab....so you say you only run the D5000s with the MG Head in non-OTL mode (i.e. transformer mode)? Any thing "wrong" with the OTL sound? Also, what tubes are you running?

PS. about that bass again....was it presented in spades both at the beginning and after lots of running in, or did it settle down after a while?

OK, so I went ahead and actually LISTENED to the D5000 using the ASL amp in OTL mode - and it sounds very, very good. It actually had no problem driving them in this mode whatsoever.

I think I actually prefer the sound in transformer mode with the Denons, but it certainly sounded great in OTL mode. Not surprisingly, OTL mode was a little warmer sounding overall, with a little less bass control.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused on this. I should know better than to comment without actually trying it. Also, FWIW, my tubes are all Electro-Harmonix gold pin cryo-set tubes.

w/r/t the bass in general, it firmed up after about 25 hours break in, but it did not lessen (which is a good thing IMO). There is NOT too much bass with the Denon - it just has great authority and weight when called for.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #147 of 562
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! As great of a relationship as I have with Larry, he is a straight-ahead fair guy and does not treat me differently from any other customer. So I have to get lucky, just like any of the rest of you!

I'm waiting for my stock pair to arrive (D2000) so I can better relate the difference to that and modded. However, I would like to direct compare them to D5000 (and blow them away, haha), which I don't have nor will... so Skylab is the logical choice. He's right though, when it comes to deals I stick to the book to keep my sanity and fairness to all.

I just got word of shipping that my stock pair won't arrive till probably Saturday... I think I will make a "demo" exception and kill two birds with one stone here. Send Skylab the Darth Denon today (surprise!), then he can compare and send them back before they "go live"... Then do my own compare to stock D2000 and still be fair on their eventual sale
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #148 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then he can compare and send them back before they "go live"...

That must be like ripping heart out to him.
blink.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #149 of 562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for my stock pair to arrive (D2000) so I can better relate the difference to that and modded. However, I would like to direct compare them to D5000 (and blow them away, haha), which I don't have nor will... so Skylab is the logical choice. He's right though, when it comes to deals I stick to the book to keep my sanity and fairness to all.

I just got word of shipping that my stock pair won't arrive till probably Saturday... I think I will make a "demo" exception and kill two birds with one stone here. Send Skylab the Darth Denon today (surprise!), then he can compare and send them back before they "go live"... Then do my own compare to stock D2000 and still be fair on their eventual sale
tongue.gif

That's awesome Larry. I was on the fence about the D2000 w/ potential for mod and the D5000. I got an opportunity for a D2000 trade which pretty much solved my dilemma, but I am very eager to hear impressions. Besides- I'm quite sure a comparison will quickly have your order queue bursting at the seams.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #150 of 562
I am speechless! That is super cool. I will of course accept the kind offer, will give a listen, and post my findings.

I have a feeling returning them to Larry will be really hard though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back