review-Deep Purple: Machine Head
Feb 3, 2002 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Deep Purple: Machine Head 25th Anniversary Edition was released sometime last year and I just now found a copy at a CD store and wanted to share my impressions.

First, let me say that I've been very disappointed with the mastering of classic and hard rock music on CD. If you've ever bought any of the old Rush or Black Sabbath (which Sony is STILL circulating in the US!) CDs then you know where I'm coming from.

Recently some of these have been remastered to varying degrees of success. The Rush remasters take some liberties with the mix that some of the fans find disagreeable--notably the drums seem adjusted a little louder. The Judas Priest CDs are awesome, perhaps only because the previous ones were so awful by comparrison. The Judas Priest ones come with a couple of bonus tracks but aren't necessarily bonus tracks from the same album timeframe so it's a little disjointed. And of course, Black Sabbath remasters are only available in the UK because Sony is the true incarnation of Lucifer.

That said, the Deep Purple remasters seem to have learned some lessons from everyone else's errors. Machine Head, their most popular album featuring the rock anthem and oft first-song-learned-on-guitar "Smoke On the Water" was probably not the worst of the bandly mastered hard rock CDs but it was, to say the least, lifeless. If you owned it on tape or album, you'd likely prefer to listen to those than the CD.

The new release borrows from artists like Beach Boys who knew that some fans would be upset if they tampered with the music too much. Instead, they released the album as a two CD set. The first CD was remastered carefully to restore the original sound of the album. The second was completely remixed by Roger Glover, one of the band's founding members.

The first disc had a real wow factor attached to it. I was lucky enough to get to hear it through my Sennheiser HD600s and an MG Head OTL, which I owned only briefly. There is absolutely nothing harsh about this CD. While some analog noise remained during the actual tracks, the sound of the original recording was preserved and pure. Listening to this CD was like borrowing a machine from HG Wells and taking it for a spin.

The second disc, to my surprise, was fantastic. I'm typically somewhat of a purist and find remixes to be almost morally wrong. I still don't own the Queen remasters only because they put these awful remixes at the end of each CD. Do the fans really ask for that? "I'll only buy this album if it has the dance remix I've never heard from the DJ I've never heard of doing his freaky twist on Fat Bottom Girls?" I digress but you get the point. Remixes are generally unwelcomed by me and I think by most fans--they are an obscene waste of money and disc space.

And yet, somehow, you get me past that a little by letting someone originally involved with the project do the remixes. And then to top that off, he actually does a good job. Glover's remixes don't pull a genre hop by trying to pretend that a Deep Purple fan suddenly wants to hear the disco version of "Lazy." Instead the listener is treated to a what if scenario that reads something like this: "What if Deep Purple were making Machine Head today with modern production values?" It's a cleaner recording, it's a more balanced recording and of course, the music is more dynamic. It takes advantage of the CD format rather than simply being burdened by its limitations as most older recordings are.

The bonus CD doesn't come free of charge. I paid about $22 for the 2-CD set and it goes for more in some places. Normally I feel ripped off when a publisher forces me to buy their remxies and bonus tracks but in this case, I can sincerely say that if the bonus disc were sold seperately, it would be worth its individual purchase. I can't tell you which of the two CDs you'd like best--I think they both have their merits and together this is an awesome release. But then again, I have to own both the director's cut and theatrical release of Blade Runner, so take as many grains of salt with that as you feel warranted.

This is an A release with an A sound quality. If you've never heard Machine Head before, that it's known for its one rock hit is nothing short of a shame. In truth, "Maybe I'm a Leo" and "Lazy" are at least as worthy of its more popular releases. The album also includes "Space Truckin" and "Highway Star" that quickly became concert favorites. No rock collection is complete without this album and it's finally available in a format worth purchasing.

Kelly

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

The Judas Priest CDs are awesome, perhaps only because the previous ones were so awful by comparrison. The Judas Priest ones come with a couple of bonus tracks but aren't necessarily bonus tracks from the same album timeframe so it's a little disjointed.

Yes I am also very impressed by the Judas Priest remasters and think they sound better than some new rock CDs made today,
blow away the original CDs (although some members here don't like them)

How could you not mention "my woman from Tokyo" along with
"space trucking + highway star"
very_evil_smiley.gif

I currently have two remastered Deep Purple "best of" sets,
and really only listen for 4-5 songs mentioned so I probably won't spring for another 2 CD set. But rock remasters in general in the last couple years are much better than the first batch done in the early 1990's.........only took 20 years for engineers to learn how to properly master CDs.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

How could you not mention "my woman from Tokyo" along with
"space trucking + highway star"
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree that "Woman From Tokyo" is a great song, but it's so great that they saved it for their next album, "Who Do We Think We Are"--the first track. It was only excluded from the review because it didn't appear on the album.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm somewhat anti-compilation, too--that whole purist thing. I guess I just feel that an album is a body of work and chopping it up to reassemble in a more commercially appealing way seems destructive to me. I feel that songs have more historical signifcance in their album context--so while I do own a few Greatest Hits albums, I try to stick to the original releases.

Kelly

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 9
I think Shades is a pretty good compilation/retrospective since it is basically in chronological order with a few nice rarities included. I'll have to give the Machine Head 25th Anniversary CD a try since I find the original Cd basically unlistenable except when I play it on my old boom box when I'm working in our animal care facility. However, I'm not sure the fish care for it at all
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

The Judas Priest CDs are awesome

I found the "Hell Bent For Leather" re-master awful. Bright, harsh, bass boosted. Jon Astley should be banned from mastering rooms. I have domestic and UK vinyl, and the remastered CD sounds computer processed to hell. So I stopped there, didn't pick up any of the others. Once bitten, twice shy, y'know...

Feb 5, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I found the "Hell Bent For Leather" re-master awful. Bright, harsh, bass boosted. Jon Astley should be banned from mastering rooms. I have domestic and UK vinyl, and the remastered CD sounds computer processed to hell. So I stopped there, didn't pick up any of the others. Once bitten, twice shy, y'know...

I haven't heard the Hellbent remaster. I have British Steel, Stained Class and Screaming for Vengence and thought highly enough of those. I'll have to check the credits to see if it's the same guy.

Kelly

Feb 5, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 9
No need to check, same guy did all the Judas Priest remasters and I agree with you and think they all sound great. Everyone hears different things depending on their own tastes and what kind of system they have.

As a matter fact they sound so good on my main stereo I use them as references for friends to show them how good a rock recording from the 1970's can sound when remastered properly.

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Something a little more inarguable for Judas Priest fans...

If you like Judas Priest, a recording with, I think, awesome production values, is the Legends of Metal Judas Priest tribute album. The US really got shorted on this and only got one CD. The European release is two individual releases (labeled Volume I and Volume II).

It's likely that you won't have heard of some of the bands unless you've really been following metal since the 80s. For those who have, it features Iced Earth, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian... Unlike on most tribute CDs, these are real bands who already have a good deal of fans and record deals. Furthermore, these bands actually belong on a Judas Priest tribute and though you may not like every track on them, I'd have trouble believing any Judas Priest fan could listen to both CDs and not be turned on to a new band.

Check it out. Prior to the remasters, I found myself listening to the tribute more than the original albums because the production and mastering was so well done.

Kelly

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Hey, I have that, and I got them when they were import only, and then got it again when it came out domestically. I think they eventually learned their lesson and released a volume 2 domestically, but not sure, will have to dig through my v/a boxes...

PS Kelly, that was a great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back