REVIEW: Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp
Aug 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #572 of 654
I'm selling my less than a month old CSP3 with about 60 hours of usage , it has beeswax capacitors upgrade installed plus it has 4 pin XLR out instead of second 1/4" jack for just 1500

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

u using it as a preamp?  

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #574 of 654
i am getting v good results hooking it as a preamp to another tube amp..( my dv336se..:p )
the soundstage just expandedddd..give it a shot if u still have two tube amps with u.

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #576 of 654
Choose contact us on the website and call but they not answering the phone on Monday

I dont get home from work until after 4:00PM......it says they close at 4:00 pm....I will figure something out

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #577 of 654
TA  DA !

Finally got registered.....

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #578 of 654
I've owned my CSP2 for several years now and use it in my office system.  I mostly use FLAC files as the source.  Currently I use an Audio-gd NFB-3 (2014) DAC and Beyerdynamic DT880/600 headphones.  I also use it to drive a custom 2A3 SET connected to a pair of ADS L420 speakers but I have found the headphones are much more concerning to tube swaping.  However, anything that sounds good on my phones still sounds good through the speakers.

I've gone through a lot of tubes in all slots.  This is what I have found.

To start I use (early 70s) Mullard CV2493 tubes in all the 6DJ8/6922 spots when I roll the rectifiers.  These are very high spec gold pin tubes and simply leave nothing behind.  Any other tube I have used tends to make selecting the rectifier more difficult. 

With the CV2493 tubes in place, my 1961 Mullard GZ34 double D getter (marked Amperex) simply cannot be beat in the rectifier spot.  Other rectifiers are interesting, but the Mullard GZ34 is a step up from others I have tried.  I have to admit I have not tried variations of the Mullard GZ34, and there may be better ones, but the one I own (original tube borrowed from my Scott 299C) is awesome on the CSP2.  Like the CV2493, the Mullard GZ34 leaves nothing behind.  Detail and extension (low and high) are amazing.  Mid range comes forward (which I generally prefer) and this tube combination is dead quiet.  Piano after tones, female voices, jazz guitar, brass etc all seem in perfect behavior. 

Problem is, perfect behavior is not always the most captivating and engaging.  Leaving the other tubes alone, I play with the front output tube spot quite often.  I have found a strong Amperex bugle boy 6DJ8 adds a little character that is to my liking.  Still accurate and dynamic, but with a little less edge than running all CV2493 tubes.  The BB on Neal Young tracks is a killer combination.  I especially like an Amperex Orange Globe in this spot when playing Progressive Rock or Heavy Metal.  A really nice Mullard/Amperex gold pin I have made in the Blackburn plant is devine with most any Jazz I play (especially if it has a Sax!). 

A weird thing I have noticed running the GZ34 is it will tend to be hard on the two rear input tubes.  I don't know if this is just by chance, or has something to do with the GZ34 being in the rectifier spot, but I have worn out several nice tubes in these spots when running the GZ34.  Not the CV2493 tubes though.  I don't think you can buy a tougher 6DJ8/6922/7308 type tube than the CV2493 and the fact it sounds so exceptional makes it my tube of choice in many similar applications.  I own over a dozen of these tubes. I picked them up from Europe years ago and have used them in many components.  Even though they were not matched when purchased, they all matched near perfectly.  Six are still NOS but the others I have used for hundreds of hours and their measurements have never drifted!

Now, these are all expensive tubes, and should sound good.  On a cheaper note, an old Sylvania 5U4G combined with EH6922 gold pins provides enough sound quality to get you through the day just fine.

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #579 of 654
  I've owned my CSP2 for several years now and use it in my office system.  I mostly use FLAC files as the source.  Currently I use an Audio-gd NFB-3 (2014) DAC and Beyerdynamic DT880/600 headphones.  I also use it to drive a custom 2A3 SET connected to a pair of ADS L420 speakers but I have found the headphones are much more concerning to tube swaping.  However, anything that sounds good on my phones still sounds good through the speakers.

I've gone through a lot of tubes in all slots.  This is what I have found.

To start I use (early 70s) Mullard CV2493 tubes in all the 6DJ8/6922 spots when I roll the rectifiers.  These are very high spec gold pin tubes and simply leave nothing behind.  Any other tube I have used tends to make selecting the rectifier more difficult. 

With the CV2493 tubes in place, my 1961 Mullard GZ34 double D getter (marked Amperex) simply cannot be beat in the rectifier spot.  Other rectifiers are interesting, but the Mullard GZ34 is a step up from others I have tried.  I have to admit I have not tried variations of the Mullard GZ34, and there may be better ones, but the one I own (original tube borrowed from my Scott 299C) is awesome on the CSP2.  Like the CV2493, the Mullard GZ34 leaves nothing behind.  Detail and extension (low and high) are amazing.  Mid range comes forward (which I generally prefer) and this tube combination is dead quiet.  Piano after tones, female voices, jazz guitar, brass etc all seem in perfect behavior. 

Problem is, perfect behavior is not always the most captivating and engaging.  Leaving the other tubes alone, I play with the front output tube spot quite often.  I have found a strong Amperex bugle boy 6DJ8 adds a little character that is to my liking.  Still accurate and dynamic, but with a little less edge than running all CV2493 tubes.  The BB on Neal Young tracks is a killer combination.  I especially like an Amperex Orange Globe in this spot when playing Progressive Rock or Heavy Metal.  A really nice Mullard/Amperex gold pin I have made in the Blackburn plant is devine with most any Jazz I play (especially if it has a Sax!). 

A weird thing I have noticed running the GZ34 is it will tend to be hard on the two rear input tubes.  I don't know if this is just by chance, or has something to do with the GZ34 being in the rectifier spot, but I have worn out several nice tubes in these spots when running the GZ34.  Not the CV2493 tubes though.  I don't think you can buy a tougher 6DJ8/6922/7308 type tube than the CV2493 and the fact it sounds so exceptional makes it my tube of choice in many similar applications.  I own over a dozen of these tubes. I picked them up from Europe years ago and have used them in many components.  Even though they were not matched when purchased, they all matched near perfectly.  Six are still NOS but the others I have used for hundreds of hours and their measurements have never drifted!

Now, these are all expensive tubes, and should sound good.  On a cheaper note, an old Sylvania 5U4G combined with EH6922 gold pins provides enough sound quality to get you through the day just fine.

Agreed the Mullards are tops and wish I tried the GZ34 in my exhaustive roundup. Your description sounds pretty compelling. But Electro-Harmonix 6922's? In my CSP2/HD800 rig they sounded verrrry metallic and lacking in detail. Actually in all the amps I've ever owned the EH's never did anything special. 

If you gotta go new production the Genalex Gold Lion 6922's are fairly well-regarded (though I haven't heard them myself). For inexpensive rectifier duty it's also worth giving the RCA 5Y3GT a try. Or just do what most of us do and obsessively buy everything you can get your hands on to find "the perfect set". :wink:

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #580 of 654
You can spend more for sure.  I tried a few 274 tubes that I borrowed from a friend.  Pretty good overall but the Mullard was better.  Mostly with detail and balance. 

I did try the new Genalex tubes and for new stock they are great.  I think they sound better than the 6n1p I tired.  They are little thicker sounding in depth but I have found most good older tubes are a little better in most cases and a lot better in a few cases.  No matter what new 6922 tube I have tried in this and other applications, I have come across several bad ones.  True that I have had bad old tubes also, but new tubes should always be good?

Yeah the EH tubes only sounded decent with the 5U4G rectifier for some reason.  Maybe it softened them up a bit?  I just mentioned this because you can buy this combination quite cheap (well under $100) and it won't make you throw the phones across the room!

Also, I should mention I tired the HD800 phones with my CSP2 and could not take what I was hearing.  To my ears they were a little "metallic" to start?  Granted I did not roll a bunch of tube and those cans probably need a completely different tube solution?

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #581 of 654
Well, Steve Deckert e-mailed me back and said there is no room in the CSP3 to put balanced inputs.....but by christmas time there will be a box, kind of like the switch box....that will allow you to use a balanced input with the CSP3.

Personally i do not think i want to have another box sitting on my desktop, though.

I will probably just go with a different amp....too bad as i kind of wanted to try one of these.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #582 of 654
I should mention my second choice for rectifier is a 1960's GE 5U4GB.  It probably spends the most time in the amp because my GZ34 is at home in the Scott.  The GE is darn good overall but sounds exceptional with electric guitar.  Whether it is Jim Hall or SRV it just sounds full, deep with plenty of overtone.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #583 of 654

If you gotta go new production the Genalex Gold Lion 6922's are fairly well-regarded (though I haven't heard them myself). For inexpensive rectifier duty it's also worth giving the RCA 5Y3GT a try. Or just do what most of us do and obsessively buy everything you can get your hands on to find "the perfect set". :wink:

^ This....Loved the GL6922's. The RCA 5Y3GT was also a nice low cost favorite Rectifier.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #584 of 654

Lorenz GZ32 , small coke bottle.... just came in thru the door.
Fired it up, nice strong glow..with my dac on Low gain, this tube has a liquid euphonic, non steely sound. 
(reminds me of the Philips 5U4GT tube i was listening to earlier. )
Set on Hi gain on my Audiogd NFB10.32, the Lorenz takes on a stronger, more energetic, full bodied, well balanced sound,
without getting into the more analytical Sylvania 5Y3GT signature i tried last nite.
( paired with two russian stock tubes...n a RTC E188cc riding the front spot, all cablings from www.cabledyne.com )

I like this Lorenz tube v much...still a baby in my fold :)

this is the write out on it..can be found on EBAY..only guy selling this , just do a search :

For sale is one high quality SEL Lorenz GZ32 (5V4-G, CV593). I have more though, all purchased directly from the German Navy years ago.They come in military bulk packages (see pictures). I can match pairs quads etc. All tubes were packed August 1971 but most likely produced earlier in the late 60ies. All tubes share the same codes. 

These are high quality milspec rectifier tubes, extremely ruggedized for use on military ships (as far as I know they were used in the radar equipment). The tubes have round cup getters, the size is somewhat smaller than the big Mullard GZ32 but they meet the same military specs for GZ32 / 5V4-G and measure identical on my TV-7 tube tester. These are very good sounding tubes at a really reasonable price. 

These tubes could also be used as a nice GZ34/5AR4 replacement in many audio applications and guitar amplifiers/pro audio equipment (please check with your equipment manufacturer or supplied specs). 

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #585 of 654
Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back