REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,381 of 1,486
I don’t think a power supply is necessary to make a great server better but to each there own. If it is necessary think a different server

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,384 of 1,486
A good server makes an audible difference

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,385 of 1,486
What is the decent budget power supply.

The sPS-500 from SOtM is one that comes to mind, but it's probably best that you get advice from someone who owns an sMS-200. Or scan the forums at Audiophile Style.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #1,386 of 1,486
Just use a quiet, low energy PC (or Mac) with enough memory and a fast SSD. We can't hear miniscule machine measurable levels of electronic noise when playing music. If the noise is basically a tiny fraction of a percent, lets be crazy and say the noise is .5% (and that would be very high) of the total signal being reproduced, do people think the .5% is audible through/over-top of the 99.5% signal that is not noise? How is this possible? I could be wrong, I am not an expert, but I just fail to understand how we hear this noise that we are all correcting for. I am not saying don't put reasonable effort into controlling electronic noise, but really, how much noise are people saying a decent computer produces, audible noise? Heck I am using an old Dell OptiPlex, and yes, I need a quieter computer as at night with low level listening I can sometimes hear the fans, so my next PC will be very quiet in that respect, but I certainly am not hearing electronic artifact noise through the music. I just don't see how that is possible.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,387 of 1,486
Try antipodes audio and you will find out why

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,388 of 1,486
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,389 of 1,486
What is the decent budget power supply.

As someone who once owned the sMS-200 Neo, I can tell you that it is very sensitive to power supplies. The better the PSU, the better the SQ. In my experience,

Farad3 > Uptone LPS-1.2 > sPS-500 ~ LPS-1. The Paul Hynes SR-4 is another good candidate which performs on the level of the Farad3. Under no circumstances should you buy an sPS-500 or LPS-1. Those two would be a big waste of money.

Don't forget to allow for a good DC cable. They bring out the full potential of the PSU. You should consider them as you would any other component.

In my opinion, if your budget won't allow for a Farad3, SR-4, or LPS-1.2, then you should put off purchasing the sMS-200.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,390 of 1,486
What problem does it solve?
It sounds better, come to our thread and meet a small group that’s acquired the brand. And even tho I have a power cable that could power up an aircraft carrier and lps, they are not needed

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #1,391 of 1,486
Computer Audio Design (CAT) came out with a new MK2 version of their CAT Music server/ripper/streamer. 100% of it's internal parts are new.

It can be a ROON Server, and, with an additional Audiophile Ethernet card, also used as a NAS if you have a Roon ready DAC.

--> I wonder if someone tested this new version and if this MK2 version can now compeat with Aurender W20SE or Taiko SGM Extreme ?

Capture d’écran 2020-03-28 à 10.00.40.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,392 of 1,486
Windows based music server, looks nice

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,393 of 1,486
Just use a quiet, low energy PC (or Mac) with enough memory and a fast SSD. We can't hear miniscule machine measurable levels of electronic noise when playing music. If the noise is basically a tiny fraction of a percent, lets be crazy and say the noise is .5% (and that would be very high) of the total signal being reproduced, do people think the .5% is audible through/over-top of the 99.5% signal that is not noise? How is this possible? I could be wrong, I am not an expert, but I just fail to understand how we hear this noise that we are all correcting for. I am not saying don't put reasonable effort into controlling electronic noise, but really, how much noise are people saying a decent computer produces, audible noise? Heck I am using an old Dell OptiPlex, and yes, I need a quieter computer as at night with low level listening I can sometimes hear the fans, so my next PC will be very quiet in that respect, but I certainly am not hearing electronic artifact noise through the music. I just don't see how that is possible.
It's no so much 'noise' you can hear as noise, it is noise in the signal that pollutes the music and sound quality bombs. A bit like non sterilised water, looks the same, but it lethal. You get my point?

I would suggest listen to some really nice servers, then you will hear right away. That beats trying to work out why it is so.

Mar 28, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,394 of 1,486
So I'm confused do we use input 1 or input 2 for best performance?
Network to Ethernet input 1 on CX. Ethernet Input 2 on CX to Ethernet input 1 on EX.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,395 of 1,486
It's no so much 'noise' you can hear as noise, it is noise in the signal that pollutes the music and sound quality bombs. A bit like non sterilised water, looks the same, but it lethal. You get my point?

I would suggest listen to some really nice servers, then you will hear right away. That beats trying to work out why it is so.
With all due respect, if you can't hear it, you can't hear it. It isn't enough to say that there are inaudible effects that you can't hear, but that effect the sound so much we need to fix them. Anyway I will show myself out of here so that I do not detract from the joy people get from their gear, which is their right. I think people who can afford such items would not be swayed by any logic, these are emotional purchases. When the money isn't an issue why would they not do everything that sounds even remotely possible to make what they hear perfect? Enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back