REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,396 of 1,486
No comment.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #1,397 of 1,486
I’ll comment
I would say the only emotional response that’s not objective, Is comming from you. That’s youre right to down play any objective analysis from folks that actually tested music servers versus computers, lab tops etc...
regardless of financial ability to acquire a quality music server or not, we owe it to listeners to convey the audible benefits from a consumer perspective.
please continue onand if you wish to further ask questions about antipodes to users or lurkers, please come to our thread.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,398 of 1,486
Yeah complicated situations, the whole being able to acquire or not, everyone has different situations and emotions definitely get involved. I sacrifice in other aspects of my life to obtain my gear and I do feel they do make a difference. Is the logical difference enough? Probably not, is the emotional logic enough, for me yes.

That is not to say that it's a complete waste of money as the differences are enough for ME.

I have been on both sides of the camp, on the side of having the gear and enjoying it and feeling its worth while, as well as on the other side of convincing myself it does not matter and is not worth it to feel better about myself as well as saving my funds for more practical things (such as food) so I can understand both sides. It is only natural.

Humans are known to backwards rationalize anything they do, even for people who cheat on other people, they can rationalize that and be at peace with it. Just a random example, not stating that poster is doing the same here.

Yes some audio gear chasers, don't eat or eat less, to obtain gear. *points at self*

With that all said though, audio gear is extremely overpriced, and I do feel sometimes manufacturers take advantage of people's passions, just my personal thoughts.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,399 of 1,486
well preferences and cognitive dissonance can play a roll but you know what, forget about it. Im done recommending components or accessories in audio, you are all on your own and quite confident you can figure this stuff out, or not, whatever.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,400 of 1,486
well preferences and cognitive dissonance can play a roll but you know what, forget about it. Im done recommending components or accessories in audio, you are all on your own and quite confident you can figure this stuff out, or not, whatever.
Please don't, that would be a shame. People with passion for their gear drive communities like this, but with that comes a need to be able to accept reasonable critiques and not take it personally. Your voice is important and I am sure there have been people in the community that have benefited from and enjoyed your impassioned responses and posts. I might say that the language used by you (or anybody) is a deciding factor in how much critique their posts draw. For example your statement in another thread that a music server makes the biggest difference in enjoyment is a very large claim, and I do apologize for reacting to it and asking for some evidence. That wasn't necessary of me. However, it might not hurt to consider you could also have simply said that for me, as far as I can tell adding a music server made the biggest difference. One statement is a proclamation of fact, the other is a statement of personal, subjective experience. I think people tend to react to really large claims of fact in a hobby where fact is pretty hard to come by, let alone agree upon.

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,401 of 1,486
Fair enough, gentlemen. Let us all hold hands and enjoy our gear in peace.

Be safe out there all, wear that mask when going out. Don't listen to people who say do not. Better to be safe than sorry, few months ago CDC says do not wear masks, now they say wear masks, bunch of clowns.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,403 of 1,486
Antipodes CX+EX vs Innuos Zenith mk3 + Innuos Phoenix?
Both are great, can not go wrong with either. Innuos seems to overall have better support but Antipodes are really good products. Antipodes have good support too but they cater to smaller crowd if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,404 of 1,486
With all due respect, if you can't hear it, you can't hear it. It isn't enough to say that there are inaudible effects that you can't hear, but that effect the sound so much we need to fix them. Anyway I will show myself out of here so that I do not detract from the joy people get from their gear, which is their right. I think people who can afford such items would not be swayed by any logic, these are emotional purchases. When the money isn't an issue why would they not do everything that sounds even remotely possible to make what they hear perfect? Enjoy the music.

Often we are unaware the harm "noise" is doing until something comes along later that strips that noise away.

Per Webster's, noise can be defined as "any sound that is undesired" or "an unwanted signal or a disturbance in an electronic device". I had in mind that second definition in my first sentence above. Improving our servers is aimed more at removing unwanted signals or disturbances that can degrade audio performance. Until something comes along that attenuates or eliminates the unwanted signal or disturbance, we tend to not to know how much harm was being done.

I recently made changes to my network that resulted in reducing an edge. That edge had been here a long time and I had been accepting it as part of the recordings themselves. The weirdest thing though was that this edge didn’t even become apparent until it was removed. Subconsciously it seemed that I knew it was there as I found my reacting as if the edge was still there. Eventually though my brain adapted to the new normal. I have no doubt that I will go through this again as I continue to upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,405 of 1,486
Yes well said.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,406 of 1,486
Mar 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,407 of 1,486
With all due respect, if you can't hear it, you can't hear it. It isn't enough to say that there are inaudible effects that you can't hear, but that effect the sound so much we need to fix them. Anyway I will show myself out of here so that I do not detract from the joy people get from their gear, which is their right. I think people who can afford such items would not be swayed by any logic, these are emotional purchases. When the money isn't an issue why would they not do everything that sounds even remotely possible to make what they hear perfect? Enjoy the music.
Have you heard any decent music servers? I would park the technical theories and use your ears, not wanting to be rude. It is the best way to know for sure. I had many versions of DIY PC and Mac based servers, then bought a designed for the purpose music server. I saw the truth in the sound I can hear.

There is tons of information on the web by owners and audio reviewers who found a laptop or PC is not ideal, far from it.

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,408 of 1,486
I think people who can afford such items would not be swayed by any logic, these are emotional purchases. When the money isn't an issue why would they not do everything that sounds even remotely possible to make what they hear perfect? Enjoy the music.

Kind of ironic to see emotion lead you to reaching such an illogical conclusion. LOL

Though the focus is on networking, this provides some good insight into why better servers can bring improved sound quality. The gist: “Noise on the ground-plane of the DAC causes effective jitter in the DAC chip, which modulates the audio signal coming out of the DAC.” Power supplies found on general-purpose computers tend to be the worst offenders, which is why a big focus of audiophile music servers is on improving the power supply.

Now we get to see who it is that really can’t be swayed by logic. :relaxed:

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,409 of 1,486
Summary: Servers do make a difference yes, no need to attack each other though, we all here because we love music.

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,410 of 1,486
What does baffle me is how when using Roon, why do they not make the best server/streamer for it since they are the software creating the hardware. I would have assumed that since the software company making the hardware that everything would be optimized and synergized. Many people claim that other server brands beats the nucleus by quite a bit but I do not have direct experience.

Discussions welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back