REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,246 of 1,486
DX, thread is up. I can’t beleive antipodes and DX is not a top choice in any server purchase decision at the reference level.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,247 of 1,486
It's one of the top units for sure. The DX was the unit that persuaded me to invest in a all in one server. Their only downside is they don't believe in clocks. But that's about to change I understand.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #1,248 of 1,486
True in a way but doesn’t all antipodes have a clock and a dac, they just dont talk about it for two reasons. Well first they only have it for those that for some strange reason have no dac. This is an external dac driven system, so a clock is not needed for say any chord dac as their clock overrides. But I’m no tech dude so. Second they don’t want to discuss the dac or clock as a selling feature.
So as an outset I liked that r&D was not put into clocks or dacs, let other manufacturers specialize.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,249 of 1,486
True in a way but doesn’t all antipodes have a clock and a dac, they just dont talk about it for two reasons. Well first they only have it for those that for some strange reason have no dac. This is an external dac driven system, so a clock is not needed for say any chord dac as their clock overrides. But I’m no tech dude so. Second they don’t want to discuss the dac or clock as a selling feature.
So as an outset I liked that r&D was not put into clocks or dacs, let other manufacturers specialize.

Please don’t be surprised/offended if someone doesn't choose Antipodes. Antipodes might be best for you, others might have other criteria. It’s all good.

Ps the reasons you mentioned might be doubtful:
- it’s not only the internal DAC clock that matters. In a chain multiple clocks exist (ie incoming network stream, motherboard, digital out), everything can matter. (What would all the fuzz on REF10 masterclocks, clocked switches, SOtM EX cards, etc etc be about?)
- Antipodes themselves announced the P2 -add on, which specifically reclocks the signal

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,250 of 1,486
Please don’t be surprised/offended if someone doesn't choose Antipodes. Antipodes might be best for you, others might have other criteria. It’s all good.

Ps the reasons you mentioned might be doubtful:
- it’s not only the internal DAC clock that matters. In a chain multiple clocks exist (ie incoming network stream, motherboard, digital out), everything can matter. (What would all the fuzz on REF10 masterclocks, clocked switches, SOtM EX cards, etc etc be about?)
- Antipodes themselves announced the P2 -add on, which specifically reclocks the signal

Not offended in the least. I could be proven otherwise( plus what do I know) quite easily but I’m not looking for more clocks other than my Dac, the DX solution is direct, no other boxes, switches, clocks, needed. Ferrites as well need not apply. The simplest connections are generally the best connections. But ymmv

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,251 of 1,486
but I’m not looking for more clocks other than my Dac

There are more clocks involved as they govern the flow of data in, out and through the server. I'm far from an expert on this but I believe that anything that needs a timing reference to run at a fixed frequency will reference an oscillator (clock). Each different fixed frequency will require a different clock (unless it can run at an interval of an existing clock).

The quality of these clocks has been found to matter quite a bit in terms of sound quality. Ethernet switches have clocks - bad ones in fact. Some speculate that these generate phase noise that can harm downstream clocks. So while you may not be looking for more clocks, the designer of the product you select should be taking a hard look hard at them (and probably is).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,252 of 1,486
I am still hesitating between an Aurender and a ROON based server. I not a ROON super-fan, and therefore ready to accept that Aurender's Conductor app is a very vialable alternative.

IMO, The ONLY MISSING FEATURE of the Conductor app, compared to ROON (and Deezer), is the ability to READ THE LYRICS of the songs played.

If this was implemented in the Conductor app, then I will be 100% sold to Aurender.

--> are there any rumors/news about Aurender implementing "lyrics" in a futur Firmware or Conductor' version ?

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,253 of 1,486
Hi, i m very interested in totaldac d1 server.
Any one compared it to aurender n10( wich i tested it in my system)
One reviewer compared it 3 years ago with 4 other servers including n10, and says it is in the same league but n10 gave bigger soundstage!
I need some clarifications cause i feel i m puuling the trigger soon!
Nb: totaldac d1 is roon ready now and it s a must for me.
Thks

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,254 of 1,486
Nice looking server, lots of connections. Max pcm is 196 I’m sure it’s fantastic, but up sampling has been moving to 384 base to 786 is desirable in newer dacs. But love total dac stuff in reading and build. Let us know how you like it.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,255 of 1,486
Hi , thks for the reply.
I m not interested in dsd and pcm higher than 44.1. For me a good server and dac can perform perfectly good sq on pcm 44.1 only. But the one i m buying is dsd equipped.
Here is the specs

Attachments

• D2ED27B5-2160-4617-B2B7-3D3E79010324.png
    D2ED27B5-2160-4617-B2B7-3D3E79010324.png
    406.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,257 of 1,486
A new baby arrived : An Aurender W20 to feed my Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC. I went to Germany to collect this used W20. I have been hesitating for a long time as what server is best for me but... the offer was so good that I couldn’t resist. And first listening impressions prove I was right with the W20 ! :wink:

Now I will have to test what is the best connection between them : USB, AES or Coax ! And what best brand for the selected connection .... (Shunyata Sigma is on my short list)

Lot of cable to try...lot of fun !

Booth DAC & Server are now waiting to be brought back in my house south of France.

And... please do not make fun about the wodden top of the W20: in addition to the original top, the vendor also supplied me with this strange « wood top » made by Mr. Rudolf (A Capella) that is supposed to provide Optimization with Woodcolumn in Holes in the top which are standing on some Parts of the Elekttonik and on the Column Wood compensator, all to Reduce Vibration and Mikrophonie. Everything is easily removeabale without any damage and the Original top can Mount. (see picture. It looks funny isn’t it :wink:.
—> Has someone already heard of this strange top optimized ?

10176520.jpg

D906323F-3CA7-4A8A-A111-1D1CCFAE0E79.jpeg

CA797C26-01DB-4F3B-BAE0-41E096CC7355.jpeg

Don’t worry I also got the original top.

So as soon as I am back home I will listen to compare booth, and... it is very possible that I will put back the original top :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,258 of 1,486
new to me, interesting. i still have to find an 18" solution, double shelves for my DX and Modem rooter.....

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,259 of 1,486
A new baby arrived : An Aurender W20 to feed my Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC. I went to Germany to collect this used W20. I have been hesitating for a long time as what server is best for me but... the offer was so good that I couldn’t resist. And first listening impressions prove I was right with the W20 ! :wink:

Now I will have to test what is the best connection between them : USB, AES or Coax ! And what best brand for the selected connection .... (Shunyata Sigma is on my short list)

Lot of cable to try...lot of fun !

Booth DAC & Server are now waiting to be brought back in my house south of France.

And... please do not make fun about the wodden top of the W20: in addition to the original top, the vendor also supplied me with this strange « wood top » made by Mr. Rudolf (A Capella) that is supposed to provide Optimization with Woodcolumn in Holes in the top which are standing on some Parts of the Elekttonik and on the Column Wood compensator, all to Reduce Vibration and Mikrophonie. Everything is easily removeabale without any damage and the Original top can Mount. (see picture. It looks funny isn’t it :wink:.
—> Has someone already heard of this strange top optimized ?

10176520.jpg

Don’t worry I also got the original top.

So as soon as I am back home I will listen to compare booth, and... it is very possible that I will put back the original top :wink:

You drove to Germany? A looong way!

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,260 of 1,486
It was Such a good deal ! I did not want to miss it. And I was in Belgium this week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back