REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,216 of 1,486
Thanks for your advices to look at Pink Faun’s streamer.

Based on this I will also consider the Belgium ´ EVO 432 high-End i2s music server’ that includes a Pink Faun i2s board. (http://432evo.be/index.php/editions/432-evo-high-end-i2s ). Has someone heard a EVO432 server ? They made big impression at Munich 2018 with their new 2 boxes TOL server.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,217 of 1,486
@bmichels, you have a good shortlist there. I would like to borrow both for comparison. Being based in Belgium could you not borrow them and let us know your thoughts? SMG is another to consider perhaps, it’s had some great reviews. If it’s just a server then I can recommend the fidata which I do have personal experience with and is my current digital reference.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #1,218 of 1,486
Yes the SGM 2015 streamer which uses the Pink Faun clock board is considered one of the top units. There's a rumour that a new version is on the horizon...

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,219 of 1,486
No antipodes? My DX is in next week I think.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,220 of 1,486
The Antipodes Dx Gen3 I had in my system for a few weeks. It's an amazing machine - and opened my eyes as to what could be achieved with a good streamer. It was night and day better than my Macbook Pro I was using at that time. Especially when passing through thr SOtM tX-USBultra reclocked with a Mutec Ref10.

It was the dx sound that convinced me to invest in a good streamer.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,221 of 1,486
Has someone tested the 432 Hz processing that the EVO432 Server propose as an option ? it is not bit-perfect but... is supposed to make music more relaxing.

Very intriguing.... and may be interesting when you are in a mood for relaxation ?

432_evo_master_clean-700.jpg

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,222 of 1,486
The Antipodes Dx Gen3 I had in my system for a few weeks. It's an amazing machine - and opened my eyes as to what could be achieved with a good streamer. It was night and day better than my Macbook Pro I was using at that time. Especially when passing through thr SOtM tX-USBultra reclocked with a Mutec Ref10.

It was the dx sound that convinced me to invest in a good streamer.
What streamer did you get then?

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,223 of 1,486
Ended up with the Pink Faun 2.16 server with 4 OCXO clocks.

My setup is listed below in my system. I'm using the PF as the renderer and upsampler. Sending files to it from a SonicTransporter i5. I'm finding a good step up arranging it this way.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,224 of 1,486
Ended up with the Pink Faun 2.16 server with 4 OCXO clocks.

My setup is listed below in my system. I'm using the PF as the renderer and upsampler. Sending files to it from a SonicTransporter i5. I'm finding a good step up arranging it this way.
An expensive server !

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,226 of 1,486
I’ve done a Pink Faun 2.16x creation review in CA that can be found here :

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...udio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=862221

I’m still working on my listening impressions which will be in the next part. This will mostly be for various setup combinations but I will be making a direct comparison will be the Antipodes CxEx double box unit if all goes well.

Memory comparisons to other streamers is rather difficult. I find that my hearing adapts after a while and what sounds like a step up becomes the norm. I had the DX for a few weeks in my Trifecta and that was pretty amazing. I heard things and spaces I never heard before. I’m hearing the same and more now with the PF but I can’t say how much difference there is between the two without a direct comparison to be fair. I’ve made so many changes to my system in the meantime.

One thing for sure I can confirm, with a particular setup of the PF, the need for my tx-USBultra plus external clock is almost gone. It’s still a touch more dynamic with the tX-USBultra and overall a little more space and refineness but not a whole lot. When I had the DX, the tX-USBultra and clock made a big difference.

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,228 of 1,486
So you have the Cx ex combo to compare. Interesting. I have the DX coming as an upgrade to dt gs but as well will not be able to direct a/b. Don’t trust memory but put some thoughts on my antipodes thread hope later this week.

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,229 of 1,486
@flkin thanks for your reply and I look forward to your listening impressions. Did you get to try a 432 EVO?

No I didn't. Would love to. Not easy to compare these top servers actually. I wish they were more accessible.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,230 of 1,486
I just bought a new DAC that I can deeply recommend: a Denafrips Terminator R2R. It is super musical and transparent. A bargain !

10158978.jpeg

So.... now I need a new server: I am tempted by a W20 but... are there any (serious) infos about a successor to the W20...which is +5 years old now (an eternity in the digital world) ?

I will be very annoyed to buy a W20 and hear few months later that it has been replaced ! ( I know what you think: this stupid logic brings to always postpone purchase.. :). but I finalmly did the Jump on the DAC... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back