REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Jan 13, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,306 of 1,486
Sorry if this has been discussed before but is using the Zenith as Roon Core + Player i.e. USB to DAC the preferred approach rather than having a separate Roon endpoint? I am looking into a Zenith Mk3 to feed Mscaler/DAVE as a replacement/upgrade to my laptop core + Aries endpoint.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,307 of 1,486
Sorry if this has been discussed before but is using the Zenith as Roon Core + Player i.e. USB to DAC the preferred approach rather than having a separate Roon endpoint? I am looking into a Zenith Mk3 to feed Mscaler/DAVE as a replacement/upgrade to my laptop core + Aries endpoint.

Yes. I answered the same question in another forum the other day. That’s what I do with my ZENITH MK3. I don’t know why you did not like my answer

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #1,308 of 1,486

9F6CA0BF-8F26-4848-94AA-527DE64A68BD.png

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,309 of 1,486
Yes. I answered the same question in another forum the other day. That’s what I do with my ZENITH MK3. I don’t know why you did not like my answer

Sorry no offense intended. Just seeing if anyone else has opinions before I commit. I have an impression that separates are usually better so not sure if Zenith is different in that regard.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #1,310 of 1,486
Sorry no offense intended. Just seeing if anyone else has opinions before I commit. I have an impression that separates are usually better so not sure if Zenith is different in that regard.

None taken. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

That’s what I thought too, and that’s how I used Roon for more than two years.

What I can tell you for sure, is that ZENith MK3 is a great server. As a server alone is worth the money. With a highly optimized USB audio output as “bonus”.

Since you already have an endpoint, it will be easier to A/B. Then you can either keep the Auralic or sell it if ZENith is better as an endpoint.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #1,312 of 1,486
i think my Zenith mk3 is shipping this week.

does anyone know if i can use it feed to multiple endpoints? i.e., ethernet to a Naim Uniti Nova as well as USB out to M-Scaler.

Absolutely! That’s how I compared streaming with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty. Ethernet to Ayre (using its built in Bridge as endpoint), and USB to Ayre USB input, using ZENith as endpoint

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,313 of 1,486
Not much on the Roon Nucleus on this thread yet. It is not on the OP but the Nucleus came out fairly recently. Postived for me (not heard it yet) are simple to use, Roon Core only (don't need ripping) and support from Roon.

Anyone on here tried the Nucleus or Nucleus+ v other decent servers? I am wanting advice on the sound quality on USB. I don't need DSD or up sampling.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #1,314 of 1,486
Antipodes audio DX, should be considered. It comes with several options but has a preferred USB connection and in my case to TT which has a preferred galvanized HD USB port.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,316 of 1,486
Apr 8, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #1,318 of 1,486
I'm about to switch my internet, television, and mobile phone service to Comcast. Because they offer a package that is half the price of the DirecTV and AT&T service I have now; but that's immaterial... So I'm in the market for a modem (without voice, without wireless, without router).

My Question: For streaming from TIDAL, directly to my Cary DMS-500 streamer/DAC (nothing else in the chain; no computer or NAS or anything), is there any way to tell which of these three "Xfinity compatible" modems would sound better? They are modems only, no router, no option for "regular" home telephone service. The Netgear CM1100 and the Arris and Motorola offer more than one Ethernet port/jack, but my understanding is they don't act like a switch; I cannot hook my streamer to one Ethernet port and a wireless router to the other. Each has 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels, and each meets DOCSIS 3.1 specifications; each are good to at least 1Gbps. I think the Netgear CM1000 unit has the least RAM at 256MB, but I'd be looking to the CM1100 (no specs available) or the upcoming CM1200. Since I'm not gaming, maybe RAM isn't important, because Motorola doesn't seem to list the RAM for their modem (it might be 512MB, and the Arris might have 3GB RAM). My Internet speed will be "up to" 150 Mbps, but my understanding is that speed isn't as important as quality (low jitter).

Sometime in the near future (like, when it is offered for sale) I believe I will be using the EtherREGEN as a "conditioner" and switch, to send one signal to steamer and another (isolated signal) to my wireless router and all the other associated devices using either a WiFi or wired connection.

I guess one serious consideration will be: I'll want a modem whose DC voltage requirements match those of the EtherREGEN, so I can use the same Linear Power Supply for both devices (if said LPS is equipped to do that). But I believe a) the EtherREGEN may not benefit from an LPS, the jury is still out (heck, the design is still "out"), and b) it's supposedly designed to accept from 7v to 12v DC. Although, it seems, maybe, almost modems operate off 12V DC?

So how does one choose: Just close your eyes and pick one? Darts?

Modem options.jpg

(I ask this question in this thread, since most readers here are familiar with dedicated streamers...)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #1,319 of 1,486
Thanks for posting this!

Very interesting he finds using a dedicated (good) streamer better sounding than using Statement's USB audio output.

I am not surprised. The SOtM 200 Ultra can beat many top end streamers, mainly as it avoid any computer circuit sending the data, it instead sends it from the NAS through the Ultra to the DAC, and Roon core sits on your Mac or PC. IMO a great steaming high end audio setup can be built for 1/4 the price of these 'top' streamers.

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,320 of 1,486

Users who are viewing this thread

Back