[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #16 of 355
Quote:
Nice written review and comparison I also like your video reviews pleasant voice well articulated and informative covering the major points about the headphone sound,build, and comfort.  From the sounds of things I would prefer the AD900X over the MA900 being brighter more lively headphone and having the larger sense of space to the sound despite not having as precise imaging.  As long as the sub-bass is a good improvement over the AD700 in extension and quantity at stock I'll be happy I should be able to get them where I want with the Hardware EQ on my soundcard and still have a good amount of volume left.  Also I intend to use them 100% at home at my computer where I'll mostly be listening to music using RPG Wizards Laid back Dolby Headphone config in foobar2000 which will further increase the sense of space and expand the soundstage to be more outside you head and improve imaging as well.

Thanks for your comments :) It definitely has an improvement in sub-bass and a general improvement over the AD700, and the AD900 as well (from memory). Glad I could help you make a choice :)

It sounds like you like a nice wide soundstage and out of head sound. Why not just get speakers? Or K1000's! Hehe.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 355
Very nice review indeed. It seems we have rather common conclusions regarding the MA900
(see my own review at http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdrma900-over-the-head-style-headphones/reviews/8509)

Quote:
Also I intend to use them 100% at home at my computer where I'll mostly be listening to music using RPG Wizards Laid back Dolby Headphone config in foobar2000 which will further increase the sense of space and expand the soundstage to be more outside you head and improve imaging as well.

This is exactly what I'm doing... There are two things that really impress me with these phones: the soundstage and the comfort, very important factors in my choice of headphones.

I notice though that there is a slight need of volume increasement in the lower bass. In Foobar, I set the equalizer to +7 dB at 55 Hz and +3 dB at 77 Hz (is there a more detailed equalizer plug-in available for Foobar?). This was noticeable when I tested that deep bass cinema THX effect they sometimes apply in surround audio test files.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 355
Wow what an excellent review. !
How would you compare the Sony 900 to the sony 1r?
Seems to me their signature could be similar. :)
Edit:
On a search I could not find this thread using the headphones names..

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #20 of 355
Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
Wow what an excellent review. !
How would you compare the Sony 900 to the sony 1r?
Seems to me their signature could be similar.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
On a search I could not find this thread using the headphones names..

They aren't actually that similar. The MDR-1R is on the darker side of neutral, with a mid-bass being the focus of the sound. The MA900 is on the warmer side of neutral, but not particularly dark; the lower treble / upper mid peak makes everything comparatively lighter. Though the AD900X is again another step in that direction.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 355
Thanks
So can I blame you now that I bought the ma900? Lol

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #22 of 355
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #23 of 355
Just needed open cans & also looking into the sennheiser hd 600.
And the ad900x but since these seem more portable I went for it :)

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 355
Quote:
dang mang. Your hair is so suave. Nice review!  If only Sony still had their old build quality with the F1 and older models...

Lol. Everyone is always going on about the hair. Thanks. I guess at the price point its not terrible build quality but that headphone jack issue really does tick me off. It's a shame that Sony doesn't have anything with better build in their lineup at the moment I guess. A MDR-1R built out of Mg alloy would be amazing.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #26 of 355
Be careful when registering with Tensu.  

They say the registration is free, but it isn't.  It costs $1.  

If you enter in a credit card they do not accept (some Visa cards they do not accept), they will tell you to try to resubmit your form, and each time you do, they will charge you another dollar.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 355
Quote:
Be careful when registering with Tensu.  

They say the registration is free, but it isn't.  It costs $1.  

If you enter in a credit card they do not accept (some Visa cards they do not accept), they will tell you to try to resubmit your form, and each time you do, they will charge you another dollar.  

Hmm. Honestly I don't remember a registration charge at all. Are you sure it's not a credit card auth charge to determine if your credit card is valid? (ie: they just put a charge on your card to see if it works, and they do not actually charge the funds).

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 355
Welp, you and hifiguy(mostly you) sold me on the MA900 as an upgrade from my Sennheiser hd595 which has been my sole headphone for years, and I had only a sennheiser hd590 before it.  I hope this is a noticeable improvement in quality and not a lateral upgrade.  I got into dubstep recently and almost switched to closed headphones becuase they say bass is better, but I tried some at bestbuy today and realized I hate closed and love open.  Some guy on ebay is selling the mdr-ma900 for $165 so I took a chance

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #29 of 355
Quote:
Welp, you and hifiguy(mostly you) sold me on the MA900 as an upgrade from my Sennheiser hd595 which has been my sole headphone for years, and I had only a sennheiser hd590 before it.  I hope this is a noticeable improvement in quality and not a lateral upgrade.  I got into dubstep recently and almost switched to closed headphones becuase they say bass is better, but I tried some at bestbuy today and realized I hate closed and love open.  Some guy on ebay is selling the mdr-ma900 for $165 so I took a chance

Hmm, I hope it's not a sidegrade either. I haven't really heard the 595! Please let me know what you think...

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 355
Allow me to say that this is a brilliant review, very well done and you have fantastic hair. I hear very good things about Audio-Technica and feel that I should switch to their headphones from my current ones.

I have a question, if someone can please answer it. I have the Astro A40 headset and really want to do an upgrade (probably shouldn't but still want to). I'm leaning heavily towards the AD900X and wonder if the switch will be an "up" grade or a "lateral" grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back