[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Jul 31, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #211 of 355
The HE-400 is an ortho I believe and my memory of listening at them they will trounce the Sony m900 on all levels sorry to be blunt. Still they seem lower mid heavy as well as fisically on your head heavy!lol

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #212 of 355
Quote:
The HE-400 is an ortho I believe and my memory of listening at them they will trounce the Sony m900 on all levels sorry to be blunt. Still they seem lower mid heavy as well as fisically on your head heavy!lol

That's what I want to hear!  I was afraid the he-400 was all hype. Underappreciated products usually perform better from experience :wink:

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #213 of 355
Quote:

In the end the MA900 would lack the amount of energy I wanted, and the AD900x would have too much energy to the point of fatigue.  If the HE-400 isn't all hype, could it be a technically superior MA900?  I don't want my sadder orchestra music to sound brightful and cheery like it occasionally would be with the AD900x.

I owned the MA900 and He-400 at the same time, and they are pretty clearly in different leagues. The He-400 is just a faster, more detailed headphone. The one thing I would worry about with the HE-400, is that its sound signature is almost the opposite of the MA900. The HE-400 has more bass impact, and a elevated treble (which some people find to be too hot). 

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #214 of 355
Quote:

I owned the MA900 and He-400 at the same time, and they are pretty clearly in different leagues. The He-400 is just a faster, more detailed headphone. The one thing I would worry about with the HE-400, is that its sound signature is almost the opposite of the MA900. The HE-400 has more bass impact, and a elevated treble (which some people find to be too hot). 

Though I've only heard the HE-400 briefly, I would definitely tend to agree with this. The HE-400 is an ortho is an ortho is an ortho. It sounds much faster than the MA900, though more aggressive. It's also a lot more heavy and expensive. Perhaps the MA900 might have an edge in open soundstage? I didn't have them side by side, but they are definitely apples and oranges.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #215 of 355
Quote:

Quote:

Though I've only heard the HE-400 briefly, I would definitely tend to agree with this. The HE-400 is an ortho is an ortho is an ortho. It sounds much faster than the MA900, though more aggressive. It's also a lot more heavy and expensive. Perhaps the MA900 might have an edge in open soundstage? I didn't have them side by side, but they are definitely apples and oranges.

And a minute ago they were both merely apples to me!  Given their price, I think i might go with a recommendation Maxx gave me and purchase a ZMF modded T50RP.  

I haven't had the opportunity to experience a newer ortho as of yet.  

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #216 of 355
Quote:
Quote:

And a minute ago they were both merely apples to me!  Given their price, I think i might go with a recommendation Maxx gave me and purchase a ZMF modded T50RP.  

I haven't had the opportunity to experience a newer ortho as of yet.  

It's been awhile since I heard them, so there certainly could be some aspects in which the M900 have a leg up. 

I would personally avoid "modded" T50rp variants. The headphones are very easy to "mod" but very hard to get them to the level of the better ones. I don't think that particular unit has been really tried and tested yet. Of course it may sound excellent, however there is some uncertainty to it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #217 of 355
Quote:

It's been awhile since I heard them, so there certainly could be some aspects in which the M900 have a leg up. 

I would personally avoid "modded" T50rp variants. The headphones are very easy to "mod" but very hard to get them to the level of the better ones. I don't think that particular unit has been really tried and tested yet. Of course it may sound excellent, however there is some uncertainty to it.

That is my concern, but ZMF seems to have solid reviews, and it is possible to return within a 3 day timeframe.  Would not hurt, given the Maddogs going price :D

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #218 of 355
Quote:
That is my concern, but ZMF seems to have solid reviews, and it is possible to return within a 3 day timeframe.  Would not hurt, given the Maddogs going price :D

Certainly good points. I believe one other T50rp that was commercially sold (I forget which now) did very poorly against the Mad Dogs, even though reviews said they were good, so ymmv. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #219 of 355
hello guys. I'm looking for a pair of headphones for gaming. I'm in between the ad700x and the ad90x, but leaning towards the ad900x. can anyone provide any recommendations between the two?

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #220 of 355
Just received my AD1000x :) First impressions are exactly like a_recording described it in the original post. Even out of the box I prefer them to the ad900x, which took a while to grow on me at first. I won't say the difference is huge (as yet at least) - they sound like an improved AD900x, the signature isn't as different as I expected (ad2000x may be that).

I have both cans on hand so will do some more testing over the next while.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #221 of 355
Quote:
hello guys. I'm looking for a pair of headphones for gaming. I'm in between the ad700x and the ad90x, but leaning towards the ad900x. can anyone provide any recommendations between the two?

For gaming?  AD900x is utter trash for competitive type usage.

AD700 all day long 
size]

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #223 of 355
A/Bing with the AD1000x and AD900x. AD900x has some harsher frequencies which definitely stand out after using the AD1000x for a while, a bit of a treble peak that I noticed quite a bit when I first got them which can add some harshness to the sound. This isn't present on the AD1000x.

Bass stands out a bit more on the AD900x due to less body/solidity in the mids and a thinner top.

AD900x has a slightly drier treble as a_recording already mentioned.

Definitely worth the upgrade for me despite being a tiny bit more uncomfortable (that will ease as the clamp lessens though) It's not really a comfort issue so much as a 'feeling' issue with the driver touching my left ear. Original post sums up my thoughts, so I'll just reaffirm them.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #224 of 355
Quote:
A/Bing with the AD1000x and AD900x. AD900x has some harsher frequencies which definitely stand out after using the AD1000x for a while, a bit of a treble peak that I noticed quite a bit when I first got them which can add some harshness to the sound. This isn't present on the AD1000x.

Bass stands out a bit more on the AD900x due to less body/solidity in the mids and a thinner top.

AD900x has a slightly drier treble as a_recording already mentioned.

Definitely worth the upgrade for me despite being a tiny bit more uncomfortable (that will ease as the clamp lessens though) It's not really a comfort issue so much as a 'feeling' issue with the driver touching my left ear. Original post sums up my thoughts, so I'll just reaffirm them.

Is the headphone symmetrical, or does one of the cups hang lower than the other?
Otherwise, you may be wearing your headphones wrong :p

I don't know anything, I'll see what you're talking about after the AD1000x drops back to 27000 yen.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #225 of 355
Roisin Murphy,

Nice vocalist! I enjoyed her on my Modded w1000x as well

A bit of a side not but I like the w1000x for the same reasons that ...do I call him Lachlan or a_rec? Either way, the w1000x [after L3000 pads and a Purrin mod] has the very same Solidity and punch to it's mids that you report the AD 1000x as having, although I'm sure the AD1000x has more sound stage clarity and bass [one thing the w1000x needs is less a tighter bass with less decay] 

Which is good because I got the Ath w1000x because I wanted a closed can that sounded like the Beyer Dt 880? Now I'm Trying to get an Ath AD1000x from Audio Technica [my contact has agree'd that would be possible] so I can review the two cans together, as they cost about the same

I just wonder which I'll like more... proably still the Beyer, since what makes the W1000x so nice in it's mids is the wooden enclosure! That wood adds a lovely tone to the mids, that you can't get without the natrual resonnace, where as the Dt 880 just sounded great with everything

In about 2 days I'll have my Dt 880s and I'll be able to pin point why I liked them as much [when I had them] then hopefully after that it can be a battle between the Dt 880 [I'm getting a Recabled Preimum 600 ohm] and the AD 1000x, should be a good comparison imo! 

Still Murphy has a sexy voice, also check out this young lady for another good vocal on the Audio Technica House Sound! 

I'm adding Murphy to my Vocal Music collection as we speak thanks :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back