REVIEW - COLORFLY C3
Sep 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #181 of 807
Just purely in terms of SQ, seems like a few people have mentioned that the C3 isn't worth upgrading from a Rockboxed Clip Zip. Can anyone confirm? Been thinking about getting one of these, but not sure if it's completely worth it.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #182 of 807
In terms of pure sound quality, 100% its better than the clip.  If you want extra features, then the clip but if you want outstanding build quality, great sound and good looks, C3.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #183 of 807
Unamped, I find the C3 a little bass light compared to my Clip Zip, no matter which headphones I try it with. It is however, a lovely clean, smooth sound right across the range. Unamped, on balance, I think I prefer the sound from my Zip for the bulk of music I listen to. That statement made though...

Amped, through my Fiio E7 and with either my TF10's or V-Moda M80's the C3 turns into a different animal entirely, it maintains all the clarity and smoothness it has when unamped, but the bass improves. It is a superior sound to the Zip when amped, in every respect. I am not particularly a bass-head, but for some music that I listen to that is bass heavy, I do like that music to come across with the depth, punch and impact that was intended, without sacrificing the mids and trebles, and for me the C3 with the E7 and the headphones I mention, does that exactly. My "goto" album for testing bass clarity and response is 'My Way' by Skazi, ripped as FLAC. It has complex, synthesized bass lines and sub-bass, layered mid and treble synths, and really deep and punchy kick drums. This album is an absolute pleasure to listen to on repeat for a couple of hours when using C3+E7+ M80 or TF10

The C3 is a keeper for me. It's price is right and so is its sound quality. I really like the sound from it when amped, and playing lossless or high bitrate files. It brings both the M80's and TF10's alive and they work really well with it when amped.

I have some GR07's on the way though, I will be interested to hear what it is like with them.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #184 of 807
I dont know how your getting 'bass light compared to the clip, i was doing a/b/c testing last night with the clip, studio and c3 and found the bass much better.

As usual the clip sounds almost lifeless to me, balanced but flat and boring.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #185 of 807
Quote:
I dont know how your getting 'bass light compared to the clip, i was doing a/b/c testing last night with the clip, studio and c3 and found the bass much better.

As usual the clip sounds almost lifeless to me, balanced but flat and boring.

I don't think I am the only one that finds the C3 slightly bass lighter than the Clip. I think Kova4a did too, even after he got a good seal with the eartips. With the amp and headphones I mentioned however, it is a different animal. I can't compare with the Studio, cos I don't have one. I don't regard the Clip Zip as lifeless either, it is certainly balanced and it is more clinical sounding than the C3, whether that is a good or bad thing, depends on what you are listening to and headphone selection perhaps. I certainly don't mean to give the impression that the C3 is light on bass, I just find it lighter than the Zip, until it is amped.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #190 of 807
Thanks for a good review about C3.
I would like to know the sound quality comparison between C3 and iPod 5th generation.
Which one has better separation, wider soundstage and extended bass?
If ext. amp is added to C3, will it improve the sound quality?

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #192 of 807
Quote:
Thanks for a good review about C3.
I would like to know the sound quality comparison between C3 and iPod 5th generation.
Which one has better separation, wider soundstage and extended bass?
If ext. amp is added to C3, will it improve the sound quality?

Thank you,

Well it depends, i cant really comment unless i know if/what you are using a lod and amp with the ipod.  If not (and assuming the ipod straight out the hp out) the c3 is a clear winner.

In regards to the using an amp with the c3 the whole purpose of an amp really should be to NOT affect sound quality, just to boost the power or volume level.

However in using the c3 with amp it sounds good with t3d, headstage arrow and fiio e11.  Those are the only amps I have tried it with and because the c3 has such a clean signal it works very well.

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #193 of 807
Quote:
Thank you,

Well it depends, i cant really comment unless i know if/what you are using a lod and amp with the ipod.  If not (and assuming the ipod straight out the hp out) the c3 is a clear winner.

In regards to the using an amp with the c3 the whole purpose of an amp really should be to NOT affect sound quality, just to boost the power or volume level.

However in using the c3 with amp it sounds good with t3d, headstage arrow and fiio e11.  Those are the only amps I have tried it with and because the c3 has such a clean signal it works very well.

You mentioned a digizoid zo before too (or a zo2), I was considering to buy one of those. Because my c3 has not yet come in the mail I can't try it without it, but I hate waiting so would you recommend it? Or any of the above amps?

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #194 of 807
Zo all the way, im pretty indifferent about the need for amps and think a lot of people here use one without really knowing why they are using one.  

The Zo on the other hand is a different kettle of fish I have the 1 and 2.3 now, it makes a lot of music sound just so much better.  Not to mention how good it makes your car audio sound too.

Also the Zo team have always been incredibly helpful, Cindy always responds to questions, they really care and are very open transparent and honest about their product.

My Zo1 is back in the states right now getting checked over (it turned out my interconnect was faulty not the Zo...... DOHHHHH!  It was out of warranty by 6 months and they were still going to fix it for free) Anyway while it was there I told them to change the battery for me as its been through a cycle almost daily for a while now.  They charged an extortionate fee for this 
wink_face.gif
....  $3  and a further $5 for shipping  to the UK.  Try getting that sort of support from somewhere else.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #195 of 807
Thank you, you just convinced me to buy one as well :) The zo1 is not available anymore am I right?
By the way my car does not have an aux input, so I will be stuck with bad quality speakers there unfortunately :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back