REVIEW - COLORFLY C3
Sep 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #151 of 807
Quote:
@~phlashbios, I'd be interested in the TF10's bass response with C3 please.
If you can give a quick impression of them paired that would be much appreciated, when you get time of course.

Bass response from the C3 with the TF10's (fitted with a Dark Lord cable) is a little light for my tastes compared with the Zip, which is a little heavier. That said, the TF10's are as crisp as could be with the C3, with kick drums coming through with punch, but sub-bass and mid-bass not as deep and well extended as the Zip. My feeling is that if you are looking for bass clarity then you'll be fine buying the C3 and using it with TF10's, but if you are looking for bass depth, then given the C3 has no EQ, you might want to look elsewhere.

Comparison for bass with the Zip was carried out using the album 'My Way' from Skazi, in FLAC format, ripped from CD with dbPoweramp and AccurateRip. This album has complex and deep synthesized basslines and sub-bass patterns, and kick drums that sound like they are pounding the bridge of your nose from inside of your head when used with the right setup :) No amps were used for this particular comparison with the Zip, and no EQ settings were setup on the Zip.

I wouldn't want to say anything more at the moment as these are impressions only, and I need to take some extended listening time with different styles of music and bitrates. I am only responding at this time, to give you an initial impression of the bass only, for particularly bass heavy music.

EDIT: For the purposes of clarity, there are some pre-defined EQ settings available on the C3, when I say that there is no EQ. Presets don't count as EQ as far as I am concerned, if they are not at least adjustable in some way :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #152 of 807
Quote:

I have a Clip Zip that I pair with V-Moda M80's and I find it an excellent combination and it suits the sound I look for very well indeed. I have TF10's on the other hand, that I don't particularly like with the Zip, but do like through a Fiio E7 connected to the iPod. Having had a couple of hours with the C3 and the M80's today, there is no doubt for me that the C3 is a warmer sound sound than the Zip, haven't compared it to the iPod at the moment as my iPod is at home and I am at work :)

I haven't heard dba02's but from what I have read about them, I suspect the C3 is going to add some warmth to them for you, but this is pure speculation on my part and I will be interested to hear what you think. I have a pile of experimentation to do this weekend now with different IEM's that I have (that sounds more impressive than it actually is, I currently only have Atomic Floyd HiDefJax, UE TF10's and Klipsch S4's) and to try the C3 with the E7 also. I actually do not like my Zip through the E7, it seems to remove some of the Zip's precision and punch for me. I also have a pair of GR07's on their way to me, so that will be some further testing. Ah well, it will keep me out of trouble for a week while I try all the different combinations :-D

I got a pair of v-moda v80s and i ordered a c3 as well, do you think it is worth amping? Because i heard multiple times that v-moda's are not worth amping for the money you spend on the amp. I am fairly new to all this equipment so i haven't got a headphone amp to try it with, though i would be willing to get one. Also thank you for mentioning that 64gb cards work with it, that was what i am wondering for some time now. But do you have the 4 or 8gb version with it?

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #153 of 807
Quote:
I got a pair of v-moda v80s and i ordered a c3 as well, do you think it is worth amping? Because i heard multiple times that v-moda's are not worth amping for the money you spend on the amp. I am fairly new to all this equipment so i haven't got a headphone amp to try it with, though i would be willing to get one. Also thank you for mentioning that 64gb cards work with it, that was what i am wondering for some time now. But do you have the 4 or 8gb version with it?

I actually don't like my M80's amped with any of my portable sources, whereas I do like some of my IEM's amped with some portable sources. I find the M80's so good as they are, that I don't need to use EQ on decent source material, or amp them. I don't know what you have at the moment as regards on-ears, but my previous on-ears were Sennheiser PX200's that I lost, and to say that the M80's are a step up from that, would be a gross understatement. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the PX200's, but the M80's are in a totally different league.

All that said, there is one place I do like the M80's amped and that is with my PC or laptop, where my Fiio E7 acts as both a DAC and an amp, and they sound just staggering in that environment, when using high bitrate or lossless music files. They even manage to make streaming music from Spotify sound good, and that's not an easy achievement :p

In short, the M80's are probably not worth your while amping if you are intending to use them only with portable sources. The E7 at around £50 in the UK however, is a sound investment for listening on laptops or PC's, and won't break the bank. I can't offer comment on what the M80's sound like with other amps/DAC's cos the E7 is the only one I have. 

It was the 8Gb C3 I bought. I have a large music collection, and I really don't want to be carrying extra sd-cards around with me, as they are such tiny, fiddly things that I will only lose them and then cry, which is why I bought the 8Gb one and then added a 64Gb card :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #154 of 807
Quote:

I actually don't like my M80's amped with any of my portable sources, whereas I do like some of my IEM's amped with some portable sources. I find the M80's so good as they are, that I don't need to use EQ on decent source material, or amp them. I don't know what you have at the moment as regards on-ears, but my previous on-ears were Sennheiser PX200's that I lost, and to say that the M80's are a step up from that, would be a gross understatement. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the PX200's, but the M80's are in a totally different league.

All that said, there is one place I do like the M80's amped and that is with my PC or laptop, where my Fiio E7 acts as both a DAC and an amp, and they sound just staggering in that environment, when using high bitrate or lossless music files. They even manage to make streaming music from Spotify sound good, and that's not an easy achievement :p

In short, the M80's are probably not worth your while amping if you are intending to use them only with portable sources. The E7 at around £50 in the UK however, is a sound investment for listening on laptops or PC's, and won't break the bank. I can't offer comment on what the M80's sound like with other amps/DAC's cos the E7 is the only one I have. 

It was the 8Gb C3 I bought. I have a large music collection, and I really don't want to be carrying extra sd-cards around with me, as they are such tiny, fiddly things that I will only lose them and then cry, which is why I bought the 8Gb one and then added a 64Gb card :)

Thank you! Previously I used sennheiser hd205's, so my v-moda's are obviously a big improvement. And yes I also use them with my laptop and I although I am really satisfied with the sound they produce, my laptop sound card is rubbish so there is room for improvement. I will be looking out for amps or DAC's because of that, so thanks for the advice :)
I bought the 4Gb version, on accident actually because I was stupid enough to not pay attention in my enthousiasm of finally getting a decent player. I hope it will take the 64Gb card as well, but I don't think that will be a problem. 4Gb would not be enough because my music collection is 75Gb+ and expanding, thats why I need the 64Gb or even 128Gb card. Anyway, thank you!

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #155 of 807
Thanks for the impressions phlash.  

Actually some of the preset eq's are in fact very useful with certain songs,  the pop one when used with hip hip is quite nice and brings a stronger bass without screwing everything up.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #156 of 807
Quote:
I'm jealous! I guess mine got held at the customs or the post office is just slow as usual, so if I don't get it tomorrow I'll have to wait till next week. Bummer - I hate to wait!

Came via airmail with a Hong Kong Post tracking number. What surprised me was they were marked as dispatched by the seller last Saturday, but when I watched them over the days through a tracking website, they didn't actually leave Hong Kong until the 12th Sept by the time they had been through customs clearance. I am therefore impressed that they made it to Northern Ireland by today.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #157 of 807
Hi everyone,

at first i would like thank everybody who has shared their opinions and reviews about Colorfly C3 and since i was looking for a good flac player, i decided to buy Colorfly C3. However i am also looking for a portable headphone that will pair well with Colorfly C3 so, the question is what portable headphones do you guys using with Colorfly C3?

i am thinking about buying JVC-HA S500 or Koss Pro DJ 100 Ted Bennet special edition, will i need an amp if i buy these headphones?

ps: Sorry for my writing, English is not my native language.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #158 of 807
Bass response from the C3 with the TF10's (fitted with a Dark Lord cable) is a little light for my tastes compared with the Zip, which is a little heavier. That said, the TF10's are as crisp as could be with the C3, with kick drums coming through with punch, but sub-bass and mid-bass not as deep and well extended as the Zip. My feeling is that if you are looking for bass clarity then you'll be fine buying the C3 and using it with TF10's, but if you are looking for bass depth, then given the C3 has no EQ, you might want to look elsewhere.

Comparison for bass with the Zip was carried out using the album 'My Way' from Skazi, in FLAC format, ripped from CD with dbPoweramp and AccurateRip. This album has complex and deep synthesized basslines and sub-bass patterns, and kick drums that sound like they are pounding the bridge of your nose from inside of your head when used with the right setup :) No amps were used for this particular comparison with the Zip, and no EQ settings were setup on the Zip.

I wouldn't want to say anything more at the moment as these are impressions only, and I need to take some extended listening time with different styles of music and bitrates. I am only responding at this time, to give you an initial impression of the bass only, for particularly bass heavy music.

EDIT: For the purposes of clarity, there are some pre-defined EQ settings available on the C3, when I say that there is no EQ. Presets don't count as EQ as far as I am concerned, if they are not at least adjustable in some way :)

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Every word was appreciated.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #159 of 807
Quote:

Came via airmail with a Hong Kong Post tracking number. What surprised me was they were marked as dispatched by the seller last Saturday, but when I watched them over the days through a tracking website, they didn't actually leave Hong Kong until the 12th Sept by the time they had been through customs clearance. I am therefore impressed that they made it to Northern Ireland by today.

Well, I just checked. Apparently even though I ordered it before you, mine was dispatched Thursday and arrived today.  I can't believe it took them almost a week to dispatch it. The bad news is that my local post office works till noon on Saturdays and doesn't work on Sundays, so I'll have to wait till Monday to get it. The good news is that I just started studying for my bar examination, so I'm not working and I'll have plenty of time to test it and write an extensive hands-on review.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #160 of 807
Quote:
Well, I just checked. Apparently even though I ordered it before you, mine was dispatched Thursday and arrived today.  I can't believe it took them almost a week to dispatch it. The bad news is that my local post office works till noon on Saturdays and doesn't work on Sundays, so I'll have to wait till Monday to get it. The good news is that I just started studying for my bar examination, so I'm not working and I'll have plenty of time to test it and write an extensive hands-on review.

Well at least it has arrived. Was it the 4Gb or 8Gb one you ordered? Look forward to your review.

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #161 of 807
It is 4GB. I can never justify paying $15 for 4gb of storage when for around 20 bucks I can get another 32GB card. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #162 of 807
@stozzer123

Thanks for writing such a nice review and also very thanks to all others on their views on C3. Before I finally order it, I have 2 doubts:

1. If you (or someone else) has compared it against CK4, can you detail about sq?

And in regards to already going discussion: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624404/computer-dac-vs-dap-as-source-component

2. Can you compare sq with respect to a computer/laptop (I have Dell XPS M1530, so anything nearest to that) (also, by computer/laptop, I mean without any modification like adding sound cards, etc.)?

Edit: Don't Count CK4's 24/192 feature while comparing.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #163 of 807
Well I am extremely happy with the C3 with my UM3X. Unfortuantely this has now given me the bug to buy more better etc. What I have realised is FLAC is way way better, and way way bigger.Better good, bigger bad. I listen to mainly ambient stuff; Ulrich Schnauss, Jon Hopkins, and albums I've loved for years; Pink Floyd, Single Gun Theory, Deep Forest. So now I'm wondering would a Studio V 3rd Anniversary sound better? Would a pair of Westone 4R sound better?
I've put my Sony X1060 back in it's box, headphones still in packet.
What is the best FLAC player? Would Westone 4R be better?
Or is just incremental, and a waste of another £650 or so?

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #164 of 807
Save up some more and invest into custom iems, the difference you will notice is quite significant.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #165 of 807
Quote:
Well I am extremely happy with the C3 with my UM3X. Unfortuantely this has now given me the bug to buy more better etc. What I have realised is FLAC is way way better, and way way bigger.Better good, bigger bad. I listen to mainly ambient stuff; Ulrich Schnauss, Jon Hopkins, and albums I've loved for years; Pink Floyd, Single Gun Theory, Deep Forest. So now I'm wondering would a Studio V 3rd Anniversary sound better? Would a pair of Westone 4R sound better?
I've put my Sony X1060 back in it's box, headphones still in packet.
What is the best FLAC player? Would Westone 4R be better?
Or is just incremental, and a waste of another £650 or so?

The curse of high-end audio! I know that feeling, having bought CIEMs and got a Clip Zip (which I love), I'm still fighting the urge to sell all my worldly possessions to but a Colorfly C4 or HM801.

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup already, but if you are going to upgrade then I agree with Yuceka, go for customs first and then see how you feel about a source. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back