REVIEW - COLORFLY C3
Sep 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #136 of 807
Quote:
Audiophile is not about price and features - it's all about sound.

Design plays a key role, that is why you see apple selling a lot, while walkman struggles globally, regardless of its far better sound.

Ofcourse sound matters but it can matter only so much. I am judging the unit purely based on the other product in its price range. All the other two well known product have many features which justify their price tag. For example I can look at the Ibasso DX100 and get why it cost the price it does, but I cannot look at Altmann Tera and can convince myself that i am actually paying for parts not for the endless trial and error of development phase of the unit, the number of failed designs that the developer had to pay for in order to come up with its final design. The designer of the unit should be more transparant in its pricing. 

I do not think that unit cost that much. The parts and assembly is just way over-exaggerated. I guess we would never know who is right.  

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #137 of 807
Guys there is pretty much chance that there will be any fake c3's it would be almost pointless to do considering the small demand for such a device and the already low price!

Ebay sellers such as big bargains online are trusted I have used them for many many items.  if you look a few pages back i show internal shots with all parts present and accounted!

The company that make colorfly are also known as colorful, an asian graphics card manufacturer (and good ones at that), hence the chinese.

There is a german reseller of colorfly products.

Sep 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #139 of 807
Quote:
Design plays a key role, that is why you see apple selling a lot, while walkman struggles globally, regardless of its far better sound.

Ofcourse sound matters but it can matter only so much. I am judging the unit purely based on the other product in its price range. All the other two well known product have many features which justify their price tag. For example I can look at the Ibasso DX100 and get why it cost the price it does, but I cannot look at Altmann Tera and can convince myself that i am actually paying for parts not for the endless trial and error of development phase of the unit, the number of failed designs that the developer had to pay for in order to come up with its final design. The designer of the unit should be more transparant in its pricing. 

I do not think that unit cost that much. The parts and assembly is just way over-exaggerated. I guess we would never know who is right.  

Design plays an important role in consumer choice and marketing but has nothing to do with whether the unit is an audiophile product or not. Altmann Tera is an audiophile player regardless of how "you" don't find it appealing.

Do I need to mention that Stax Lambda series are absolutely hideous design-wise but one of the best headphones in the world?

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #140 of 807
Quote:
Design plays an important role in consumer choice and marketing but has nothing to do with whether the unit is an audiophile product or not. Altmann Tera is an audiophile player regardless of how "you" don't find it appealing.

Do I need to mention that Stax Lambda series are absolutely hideous design-wise but one of the best headphones in the world?

Well, one view of the Lambda Stax is that they look like a pair of waffle irons, and another view  is that they are very  retro-cool :-D

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #141 of 807
My argument is not for design is not concerning looks, it has to do with the simplest feature one can ask for a display screen. I think now days audiophile is anything that others dont have and it costs almost a leg(not quiet an arm).

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #144 of 807
Just ordered one from bigbargainonline for $114 inc shipping to the UK.  Will be partnering it with Senn HD25 1-ii headphones and DBA02 (orginal version) iems.  I already have a Clip Zip and will also be comparing it to the Cowon J3 (a friend is loaning me).

The reason I bought the Colorfly is that I find the DBA02 / Clip Zip combination a little bit tonally hard (dont get me wrong - I love the clip and the dba02s and I'm sure that others would call it accurate - the zip pairs great with the Senns) and am looking for some depth in the sound.  Will let you know when they arrive.

Ade

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #145 of 807
Quote:
Just ordered one from bigbargainonline for $114 inc shipping to the UK.  Will be partnering it with Senn HD25 1-ii headphones and DBA02 (orginal version) iems.  I already have a Clip Zip and will also be comparing it to the Cowon J3 (a friend is loaning me).

The reason I bought the Colorfly is that I find the DBA02 / Clip Zip combination a little bit tonally hard (dont get me wrong - I love the clip and the dba02s and I'm sure that others would call it accurate - the zip pairs great with the Senns) and am looking for some depth in the sound.  Will let you know when they arrive.

Looking forward to your comparison as I'm using an original clip and have been wanting to upgrade. Not sure how the Sansa Clip+/Zip compares to the Colorfly. I am really interested in this device though because it doesn't have all the stuff I don't need (big screen, apps etc).

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #146 of 807
Receievd my C3 today. Shipped to the UK, no customs charges. First impressions are that it is a warmer sound compared to my Sansa Clip Zip (Rockboxed), but I need some time to compare it now against my iPod (Rockboxed 5th Gen) and the CIip Zip using a variety of different music at different bit rates.

For those who were wondering if it will read a 64Gb micro-sd card, then the answer is yes. For those wanting to use a 64Gb card, you need to format it as FAT32 in your PC first. The particular card I am using is this if you are interested http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKM30/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00, which comes formatted as exFAT out of the box. One thing I have discovered is do not use Rockbox on the Clip Zip to delete files on this card as it would appear on random occasions to do something to the card that then makes it unreadable by a PC. This may be of course, because the current version of Rockbox on the Clip Zip is an unstable version - time will tell.

Just a word of warning for the clumsy as well, the insertion of the sd-card in the C3 is counter-intuitive. It goes in with the back side (contacts up) facing you when you are looking at the front of the C3. I have a friend who has already jammed an sd-card in his C3 by trying to insert it the wrong way up :-D

I am a happy punter so far :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #147 of 807
Quote:

Ade

I have a Clip Zip that I pair with V-Moda M80's and I find it an excellent combination and it suits the sound I look for very well indeed. I have TF10's on the other hand, that I don't particularly like with the Zip, but do like through a Fiio E7 connected to the iPod. Having had a couple of hours with the C3 and the M80's today, there is no doubt for me that the C3 is a warmer sound sound than the Zip, haven't compared it to the iPod at the moment as my iPod is at home and I am at work :)

I haven't heard dba02's but from what I have read about them, I suspect the C3 is going to add some warmth to them for you, but this is pure speculation on my part and I will be interested to hear what you think. I have a pile of experimentation to do this weekend now with different IEM's that I have (that sounds more impressive than it actually is, I currently only have Atomic Floyd HiDefJax, UE TF10's and Klipsch S4's) and to try the C3 with the E7 also. I actually do not like my Zip through the E7, it seems to remove some of the Zip's precision and punch for me. I also have a pair of GR07's on their way to me, so that will be some further testing. Ah well, it will keep me out of trouble for a week while I try all the different combinations :-D

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #149 of 807
@~phlashbios, I'd be interested in the TF10's bass response with C3 please.

If you can give a quick impression of them paired that would be much appreciated, when you get time of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back