Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom
Apr 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #46 of 95

Quote:
I just received my ctm-200's today! the sound is great, but I have one problem. It hurts when I smile with them on. Is that supposed to happen?

I would imagine that depends on a number of factors. The impressions I take for acrylic customs are open mouth with a ~1" bite block and I don't have that problem but my ear canals are almost certainly different in size/shape to yours and probably deform differently when I eat/smile/talk. I know some audiologists recommend trying those things with your impressions before sending them off to make sure the final product will be comfortable but I've never done that.

I would give it a few days to see if you get used to it and if not maybe contact CTM to see what they have to say. You could also see if there's any info in the multi-custom thread or ask average_joe.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #48 of 95

Quote:
I just received my ctm-200's today! the sound is great, but I have one problem. It hurts when I smile with them on.

At least you're smiling when you're wearing them!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #50 of 95
After many frustrating days of listening, they are finally comfortable. It feels like my ear canals got bigger or maybe I just learned how to insert them properly. Thank you!

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #51 of 95
I purchased a cowon j3 and have been playing around with the eq settings. I was just curious on what eq settings you(joker or anyone else with ctm-200 and cowon j3) use with the ctm-200?

May 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #53 of 95
Hey ljokerl,

Loved the review and the high score is impressive. If I'm looking for a mostly neutral sound (great for classical, especially cello and violin), is there any universal that competes in this price range? I loved the Se535 mids but was not a fan of its treble; the W4 is technically impressive but overall warm and hazy; so far I really like the RE272 but could use more bass; besides, that the RE272 has really impressed me, though it can be a little in your face at times. I probably am a mids guy, but nice extended treble is really important to me and I don't like my bass to be anemic. So basically neutral with slightly lush mids is what I'm looking for.

Do I seem like a good candidate for the CTM-200? It would be my first custom.

Thanks, as always.

May 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #54 of 95
Quote:
Hey ljokerl,

Loved the review and the high score is impressive. If I'm looking for a mostly neutral sound (great for classical, especially cello and violin), is there any universal that competes in this price range? I loved the Se535 mids but was not a fan of its treble; the W4 is technically impressive but overall warm and hazy; so far I really like the RE272 but could use more bass; besides, that the RE272 has really impressed me, though it can be a little in your face at times. I probably am a mids guy, but nice extended treble is really important to me and I don't like my bass to be anemic. So basically neutral with slightly lush mids is what I'm looking for.

Do I seem like a good candidate for the CTM-200? It would be my first custom.

Thanks, as always.

The bass is really the only issue I have with the RE272 and I do think the CTM-200 performs better in that regard - it's got more punch and presence and the mids are less forward so you don't get that sense of the bass being pushed back in the mix. It's still balanced armature bass, however, so there's not the sort of body, depth, or rumble you would get out of a dynamic driver tuned for bass performance.  

Compared to the RE272 it also has a laid-back/larger presentation a-la RE252 and never sounds overly forward or aggressive. However, I do not think it has lush mids at all - definitely not as thick as the Shure earphones and not quite as smooth as the beautiful mids of the RE262/272. It is probably more on the analytical side in the grand scheme of things though it's no Ety.

May 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #55 of 95
Thanks! That helps and makes things tougher at the same time! I agree that the RE272 mids are done just so well.

Do you listen to the CTM-200 much?

Quote:

The bass is really the only issue I have with the RE272 and I do think the CTM-200 performs better in that regard - it's got more punch and presence and the mids are less forward so you don't get that sense of the bass being pushed back in the mix. It's still balanced armature bass, however, so there's not the sort of body, depth, or rumble you would get out of a dynamic driver tuned for bass performance.  

Compared to the RE272 it also has a laid-back/larger presentation a-la RE252 and never sounds overly forward or aggressive. However, I do not think it has lush mids at all - definitely not as thick as the Shure earphones and not quite as smooth as the beautiful mids of the RE262/272. It is probably more on the analytical side in the grand scheme of things though it's no Ety.

May 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #56 of 95
Quote:
Thanks! That helps and makes things tougher at the same time! I agree that the RE272 mids are done just so well.

Do you listen to the CTM-200 much?

Only for comparison purposes, really. I don't have much time left over for casual listening and when I do I typically reach for the Miracle, FitEar MH334, or Spiral Ears 3-way these days.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #58 of 95
Quote:
great review! very tempted to move up from my w3s.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif
. They would be quite a change  from the move v-shaped and aggressive W3s.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #59 of 95
I just got off the phone with Cesar of Clear Tune Monitors and was informed of the following:

1 - They are working on a new website.

2 - The 5 driver model is available now for $700.

3 - There is a 6 driver model in the works and a few early examples have been completed.

Cesar makes a good impression over the phone and answered my many questions.  I'm very seriously considering making the jump and buying the 5 driver model.

Has anyone else here purchased this IEM?  Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back