Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom
Feb 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #76 of 95
subscribed

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #77 of 95
The CT-500 is my first custom and happily I was 'wowed' by the product.  For anyone interested in my take here's a link to the review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/652373/clear-tune-monitors-ct500-elite-review-appreciation-thread

This my first custom and I realize a review is more interesting when like is compared to like, but I hope there are some insights available there for anyone interested in the CIEM.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #78 of 95
I want to see what Clear Tunes new universal IEM's are going to be like, if the prices of the customs is any indication they should be reasonably priced.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #79 of 95
Quote:
I want to see what Clear Tunes new universal IEM's are going to be like, if the prices of the customs is any indication they should be reasonably priced.

+1, seems many customs manufacturers are now adding universal versions of their products. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #81 of 95
Quote:
Hi everyone, I am planning to buy a ctm 200, however I am afraid of having less sound from ctm on sansa and ipad touch. Since I have a hearing disability. Even so, I have a westone 4 and ue 900 and no sound level problem with them.. Would you please give some advice?

The sensitivity of the CTM-200 is comparable to the UE900 so if you're fine with that volume you'll be okay. If you want something that gets stupid loud, try the 1964-V3 - it has the highest sensitivity of all my custom in-ears by a margin. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #83 of 95
Quote:
The sensitivity of the CTM-200 is comparable to the UE900 so if you're fine with that volume you'll be okay. If you want something that gets stupid loud, try the 1964-V3 - it has the highest sensitivity of all my custom in-ears by a margin. 

How would you compare the 1964-V3 to the CTM-200?  I'm trying to decide between the two and while there's plenty out there for the V3, there's precious little for the CTM-200.  Thing is, I live literally 20 minutes from Clear Tune Monitors and I'm not going to lie, that's a pretty decent incentive to go with them.

Considering my preferences tend to lean closer to bass than treble (I want both, obviously, but if I had to choose which one I'd want emphasized and which one I wouldn't mind having a bit rolled off it wouldn't be a hard choice), which would you recommend?

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #84 of 95
Quote:
Thank you a lot for the response. May I ask you something more? if you dont mind..

I am looking for a sound signature between UM3X and W4.. looking a little bit more bass quantity than W4.

Which is better in this case as a custom : Ctm-200 or Alclair Reference?

Definitely not the CTM-200 - it's rather flat in nature and has less bass than both. The Alclair Reference is closer - its bass reminds me of the Phonak PFE232. It will have better deep bass extension than the W4 but not more mid-bass. 

Quote:
How would you compare the 1964-V3 to the CTM-200?  I'm trying to decide between the two and while there's plenty out there for the V3, there's precious little for the CTM-200.  Thing is, I live literally 20 minutes from Clear Tune Monitors and I'm not going to lie, that's a pretty decent incentive to go with them.

Considering my preferences tend to lean closer to bass than treble (I want both, obviously, but if I had to choose which one I'd want emphasized and which one I wouldn't mind having a bit rolled off it wouldn't be a hard choice), which would you recommend?

I compared them in my V3 write-up:

Quote:

Clear Tune Monitors CT-200 ($350)

The CTM-200 is a dual-driver custom monitor from Florida-based Clear Tune Monitors. Designed for stage performance, the CTM-200 boasts a leaner, flatter sound signature that is more accurate than it is musical. The 1964-V3 offers up more of both sub-bass and mid-bass, providing added power and punch. It is also a bit more forward in the midrange and provides a livelier, more dynamic sound. The CTM-200 is more accurate and sounds a bit cleaner as a result of its lower bass quantity. Its tone is quite neutral compared to the warmer 1964-V3 and its treble is smoother, reducing harshness and listening fatigue. However, detail resolution lags behind the 1964-V3 a little. Soundstage size is similar between the two earphones with the exception of depth, which is won by the V3. In general, the CTM-200 sounds a bit more laid-back and may be boring for the casual listeners, whereas the more colored signature of the V3 may be ‘just right’. The opposite is true for someone chasing a flat, accurate sound.

If I were you I'd call up CTM and see if you can stop by and demo their earphones - they have way more models than just the CTM-200, I just haven't tried any of the other ones.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #85 of 95
Definitely not the CTM-200 - it's rather flat in nature and has less bass than both. The Alclair Reference is closer - its bass reminds me of the Phonak PFE232. It will have better deep bass extension than the W4 but not more mid-bass. 

Would an Alclair Reference be an upgrade after w4?

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #87 of 95
Quote:
Would an Alclair Reference be an upgrade after w4?

It's a different sound signature - the Alclair is more v-shaped than the W4. If you want more deep bass and more treble compared to the W4, then the Reference is an upgrade. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #88 of 95
Well, just called Clear Tunes and they will ship me a CT200 universal demo.   Trying to follow my "new" rule to save $$$ by demo first.  He said the universals are not out yet.

I currently have the AS2 with a filter mod by Dale to bring out the high end.   I like a monitor sound, but want to try a thinner, less warm sound than the AS2 but also want a slightly brighter, extended "more exciting" high end and while the AS2 is the best I've heard for deep, powerful bass, I don't have to have it that powerful.   Sometimes while my AS2 is very 3D, warm and intimate I get bored with the sound.   I used to have the JH5, which was a bit too punchy and bright.  I'm thinking that a thinner sounding monitor might be a bit faster and more fun than the AS2.    

Any thoughts besides the Clear Tune 200?  (I don't want to go over $350.   I actually have the sony 7550 which I got for $180 and found the AS2 to be a step above, but not $400 above,lol.   I do miss a bit of sparkle in the high end.)  Thanks in advance.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #89 of 95
  Well, just called Clear Tunes and they will ship me a CT200 universal demo.   Trying to follow my "new" rule to save $$$ by demo first.  He said the universals are not out yet.

I currently have the AS2 with a filter mod by Dale to bring out the high end.   I like a monitor sound, but want to try a thinner, less warm sound than the AS2 but also want a slightly brighter, extended "more exciting" high end and while the AS2 is the best I've heard for deep, powerful bass, I don't have to have it that powerful.   Sometimes while my AS2 is very 3D, warm and intimate I get bored with the sound.   I used to have the JH5, which was a bit too punchy and bright.  I'm thinking that a thinner sounding monitor might be a bit faster and more fun than the AS2.    

Any thoughts besides the Clear Tune 200?  (I don't want to go over $350.   I actually have the sony 7550 which I got for $180 and found the AS2 to be a step above, but not $400 above,lol.   I do miss a bit of sparkle in the high end.)  Thanks in advance.

Good rule 
wink.gif

I've never tried the AS2 but the CTM-200 is definitely not thick-sounding or warm. It's not overly bright, either - its sound is centered more on the midrange. Doesn't have great bass extension or the most 3-dimensional sound but it seems to be more along the lines of what you're after than the 7550.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #90 of 95

Good rule 
wink.gif

I've never tried the AS2 but the CTM-200 is definitely not thick-sounding or warm. It's not overly bright, either - its sound is centered more on the midrange. Doesn't have great bass extension or the most 3-dimensional sound but it seems to be more along the lines of what you're after than the 7550.

I keep coming back almost getting the CTM-200.   I've been searching for a signature opposite of my thick, warm, 3D bassy, intimate AS2, and the search has led me to considering the FAB Heaven V, Ocharaku Flat4 Suis, RE400/RE600,    But they are all IEMs, and the only one with probably a 5 in build quality is the FAB, but its signature is similar to the AS2 from what I understand.   Since Ijoker, you said that the CTM-200 is similar in signature to the 7550, could I safely assume its also more resolving than the 7550 and would be a step up from the 7550?   I'm hoping also that they will be on the same level, yet different signature as my AS2 despite the $$ difference, LOL!
I also contacted Clear Tunes again, and this time found out that they will not send out a universal demo of any of their products, you have to come to them.  Plus, they are not going to be making a universal for public purchase, it will only be to ship to a band member until their customs are ready and may be available for purchase by band members for the same price as customs.   Also, in speaking with the owner, he did describe the listening experience of the CTM200 as "being on stage" vs sitting several rows back in an auditorium, and that's another thing I'm looking for, to have the music surrounding me.   He also said compared to the AS2, because of not having a big dynamic driver, the mids and highs are clearer and more present which is also appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back