Review: Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200 dual-driver custom
Mar 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #31 of 95
Yeah, after doing a lot of research here and reading a ton of reviews, especially yours a few times through, I'm for sure either getting the 1964 Q or T. I just like the positive reviews and really think these will be lasting me a long time. Their customer service has also been really helpful, so when I get them I'll be posting my first review!

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #32 of 95
Battosai: I have a few months where I'll be out of town; when I come back I'll be shopping for my first set of customs and I'll be very curious to read your impressions of the CTM-500.

There are a lot of options out there now, it's a little overwhelming but fun.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #33 of 95
Hello,

After reading this review, I purchased the ctm-200. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
However, I started getting worried that my ipod nano 3rd gen would limit the potentials of this iem.
Do you think I should buy a new DAP or maybe a portable amp?

Thank you! 

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #34 of 95

Quote:
Hello,

After reading this review, I purchased the ctm-200. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
However, I started getting worried that my ipod nano 3rd gen would limit the potentials of this iem.

Thank you! 

While the CTM-200 is certainly sensitive enough to work well with the average portable players, I am not familiar with the Nano as a source. My experience with iPod headphone outs has been hit or miss. I like the iPhone 4 and iPod Classic 5/5.5G but I don't like the iPod Touch 4G. If your Nano has a lineout, you could definitely consider an amp but you would have to consult the amp forum for the latest and greatest in amps on your budget as I really haven't kept up with the times. I also think something like the S:Flo2 would pair pretty well with the CTM-200 but of course that's a different class of DAP altogether.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #35 of 95

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you! 

I just tossed my CTM-200's on my wife's nano 6th gen (at least that what I think it is... it's whatever Apple was sending out recently as replacements when they found out the old one's batteries were spontaneously combusting) and everything sounded normal enough compared to an old Classic 5G and my preferred ClipZip.

I don't know that I would hurt myself to get an amp until I gave what you already have a go at it.

Good luck!

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #36 of 95
Thanks Joker and KJB for the responses. I just didn't want to wait for the iems and end up having to order and wait for a new DAP or amp. But I decided to just try it out on the nano before buying an amp or new DAP like KJB suggested. Once I receive the ctm-200's I will let you guys know how it sounds through the nano!

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #37 of 95

Quote:

I don't know that I would hurt myself to get an amp until I gave what you already have a go at it.

This is generally very good advice. That said, in the case of something with as few impressions out there as the CTM-200, it might be difficult to determine if the full benefit of them is being extracted with a particular DAP without the ability to A:B with another or with an amp. Really no easy answer to this dilemma. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #38 of 95

Quote:

This is generally very good advice. That said, in the case of something with as few impressions out there as the CTM-200, it might be difficult to determine if the full benefit of them is being extracted with a particular DAP without the ability to A:B with another or with an amp. Really no easy answer to this dilemma. 

Yes very true. I've been looking all over the internet for more reviews but this is the only one I can find. Guess if I'm not satisfied with the nano, I could find amps or daps whose strong points are the ctm-200's weak points and find stores that will let me try them.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #39 of 95
Hello Joker,
I am looking for a entry level custom. I came across your iem comparing chart (which is really helpful, thank you for that), and your review on the CTM-200.
The CTM-200 interested me alot. Especially I enjoyed wide space of sound stages.
I just have few questions:

- Out of all the entry level custom (less than $400), does CTM-200 have the best sound stage presentation? (ranges and quality)

- I have seen a lot of ppl talk about Livewire, JH audio, Alien,1964 and Ultimate Ear...etc. Out of all of them (only there entry custom level) would you recommend the CTM-200 the most?

Thank you!

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #40 of 95

Quote:
Hello Joker,
I am looking for a entry level custom. I came across your iem comparing chart (which is really helpful, thank you for that), and your review on the CTM-200.
The CTM-200 interested me alot. Especially I enjoyed wide space of sound stages.
I just have few questions:

- Out of all the entry level custom (less than $400), does CTM-200 have the best sound stage presentation? (ranges and quality)

- I have seen a lot of ppl talk about Livewire, JH audio, Alien,1964 and Ultimate Ear...etc. Out of all of them (only there entry custom level) would you recommend the CTM-200 the most?

Thank you!

Unfortunately I've only heard a grand total of two models from the brands on your list - the CTM-200 and 1964-T. If you prefer a wider space I would definitely go with the CTM-200 between those two but I can't comment on how they compare to any other customs in that price range. I don't think anyone else here can compare a CTM-200 to any of those, ether.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #41 of 95
Thank you for the reply.
However, may you do a very brief compare to the Pro 750? I see that you own one too. :D
With that I can have a better idea on the sound of the Ctm and will be more confident to actually make the purchase.

Thank you.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #42 of 95

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.
However, may you do a very brief compare to the Pro 750? I see that you own one too.
biggrin.gif

With that I can have a better idea on the sound of the Ctm and will be more confident to actually make the purchase.
Thank you.

I've actually been listening to the PRO 750 a lot over the past week - it's a very impressive headphone that suits my needs for a fun-sounding full-size can perfectly. Admittedly, I generally like the Proline models - the 550 and 650 are brilliant as well. Compared to the CTM-200 the PRO 750 is warmer and bassier, but also carries a little more treble emphasis. The bass easily wins out in depth, body, and impact but the low end emphasis makes the midrange seem less prominent in comparison to the CTM-200. The PRO 750 sounds a lot more colored overall - the CTM-200 is easily the better reference product. The CTM-200 is also a little more detailed in the midrange and the soundstage is as wide as that of the Ultrasones (not that the PRO 750 has a fantastic stage by full-size standards). 

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #43 of 95
So the Ctm 200 would not be an upgrade from the pro750?
Because I am currently thinking about selling my 750 and replacing it with an IEM or a CIEM.
If the Ctm 200 will not be an upgrade, does that mean I might have to spend more, if I want an custom??

Thank you!!

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #44 of 95

Quote:
So the Ctm 200 would not be an upgrade from the pro750?
Because I am currently thinking about selling my 750 and replacing it with an IEM or a CIEM.
If the Ctm 200 will not be an upgrade, does that mean I might have to spend more, if I want an custom??
Thank you!!

If you're looking for accuracy and a 'reference' sound, the CTM-200 is definitely an upgrade. Just keep in mind that you won't get anywhere near as much bass with it as you do with a 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back