Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro
May 19, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #166 of 184
You can't go wrong with either, really.  I use both interchangeably, depending on source, amplification and genres.  Lately, another factor became more and more important: the mastering of the recording I'm listening to.  High-resolution recordings: either from HDTracks or from the new Japanese SHM-CDs or SHM-SACDs have changed the way I listen to what I consider classics in rock, progressive rock and even jazz.  These new remasters (most of them produced in 2010 and continue thru 2011 and 2012) for the grand total of about 300 titles punch some amazing dynamics, visceral impacts and detail completely missing from the original 80s or 90s 16-bit redbook CDs.  It's like listening to them for the very first time.  I find that the 16s can accommodate these rock titles a bit better in most cases but they are enjoyable with both on the go.  Kickdrums, percussions and other instruments accompanied by visceral impact just translate better with the JH-16 Pros.  In older recordings, however, the 13s provided a more correct, balanced reproduction because most of that detail and extended dynamics were just not present in them or were compressed altogether.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #167 of 184
Hello, I am a long time fan of this site but I have just joined! I am a professional singer, bass guitarist and music lover.  Having spent a lot of time with both the 13's and the 16's, I am finally getting my own pair of 13's on monday.  For my ears the 13's do everything perfect.  I find the sound of the 16's very artificial.  I dont see how anyone can say that these two iems even sound remotely the same??  The 16's deliver a very dramatic U sound signature while the 13's are far more balanced.  The treble on the 16's for my ears is overbearing and way to harsh. That being said, I was introduced to the 16's before the 13's, and at the time thought the 16's were amazing (and I still do) and was on my way to purchase them.  However, once i heard the 13's there was no going back. Again, everything just seemed better.  I believe that hearing is a totally subjective and only YOU can say what sounds better or worse to your own ears, and both of these iems are incredible, I think there is a placebo effect when people hear these numbers( 13's, 16's, 18's ect).  

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #169 of 184

Quote:
Hello, I am a long time fan of this site but I have just joined! I am a professional singer, bass guitarist and music lover.  Having spent a lot of time with both the 13's and the 16's, I am finally getting my own pair of 13's on monday.  For my ears the 13's do everything perfect.  I find the sound of the 16's very artificial.  I dont see how anyone can say that these two iems even sound remotely the same??  The 16's deliver a very dramatic U sound signature while the 13's are far more balanced.  The treble on the 16's for my ears is overbearing and way to harsh. That being said, I was introduced to the 16's before the 13's, and at the time thought the 16's were amazing (and I still do) and was on my way to purchase them.  However, once i heard the 13's there was no going back. Again, everything just seemed better.  I believe that hearing is a totally subjective and only YOU can say what sounds better or worse to your own ears, and both of these iems are incredible, I think there is a placebo effect when people hear these numbers( 13's, 16's, 18's ect).  

Did you pre-audition them using demos?  If so I'm not surprised of how you may find them dissimilar.  Truth is the 16s merely provide enhanced bottom impact in the mid bass range, however, the 13s are not linear either, due to the +6dB bump at 50Hz.  As a singer, the conventional 13s are definitely a good choice for you, but if you were a drummer, you'd be far better off with the 16s.  In terms of treble reproduction there is really not that much of a difference between the two and midrange reproduction differs only as far as detail and instrument separation.

The JH-3A changes everything, though, because of the DSP.  The JH13 version has been discontinued (or canceled), because the JH16 shell and 3-bore sound-tube design was a better choice to match the enhanced capabilities of the 3A Amp/DAC.

In all cases, however, a LOT depends on your source, quality and materials of your interconnects being used to ultimately match either or both of these customs to your particular hearing preferences.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #170 of 184
I found them pretty different as well.  JH16 is very colored and VERY full sounding but I like that.  It has much more slam.  It's JH5 or W3 on steriods.

JH13 is more neutral and I agree the treble is incredible liquid and smooth while being insanely extended.  JH13 the more audiophile choice, JH16 the more "fun" choice IMHO.  Its whatever you prefer.

But if you are amping I could see where JH13 could be more "fun" giving the best of both worlds.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #172 of 184
Based on the demos alone (and these aren't just my opinions, but are shared by my musician friends), both JH models will be significantly clearer than the T1. Up to you to pick which sound sig.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #174 of 184

Quote:
If I have ACS T1, and would like something different, should I get JH13 or 16? Thanks. 

If like me you like the Bass of the T1, I would go with the JH16 as it is that bit more fuller sounding in the bass areas

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #176 of 184
Quote:
Great review!
Makes my stomach itch just thinking what I am might missing, but no way I'm buying the 16's.
I really should avoid head-fi.

Quote:
I really should avoid head-fi.

Υeah.I know it well.
I bought three earphones in a month period,reading the site.Westone UM3X,Yuin PK1,Fischer Audio DBA-02.I hope I don't do it again,after reading this thread.
smile.gif

Edit.
What about listening these earphones with Hifiman  HM-801?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #177 of 184
Argh.... I'm venting here but this thread just makes me more confused as to which type of CIEM to get. It seems that the JH16 is more colored and may appeal more to a basshead or someone (like me) who listens to rock music primarily. However, I've used the um3x before and am currently using the W4 and I love the detail and clarity of these two as well, which means that the JH 13 might satisfy me more on that regard. I've heard that the more impactful bass on the JH16 causes the treble to be more recessed, how true is this? Does it affect the midrange clarity? 

Decisions, decisions.... or I could just do the logical thing and go for the ES5 instead.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #178 of 184
Quote:
Argh.... I'm venting here but this thread just makes me more confused as to which type of CIEM to get. It seems that the JH16 is more colored and may appeal more to a basshead or someone (like me) who listens to rock music primarily. However, I've used the um3x before and am currently using the W4 and I love the detail and clarity of these two as well, which means that the JH 13 might satisfy me more on that regard. I've heard that the more impactful bass on the JH16 causes the treble to be more recessed, how true is this? Does it affect the midrange clarity? 

Decisions, decisions.... or I could just do the logical thing and go for the ES5 instead.

Apart from the bass, the biggest difference I have found between the two is that the JH16 sounds great through any device, while the JH13 is much harder to drive and so can sound thin and weedy. Straight out of a DAP the JH16 sounds fuller and more fun, with deep impactful bass - ONLY where it exists in the music. However it still manages to be very clear and let the full mids and sparkly highs cut through without bleeding over them.

In comparison, directly through a DAP, the JH13 tends to sound tinny and flat in comparison. However, add a good amped source and the JH13 become much fuller and richer, while still maintaining their clarity and analytical sound. The highs also seem to be much smoother and less fatiguing (although I think this is an issue with my JH16, which JH Audio are going to look into).

Overall for with my current setup and listening preference, I would choose the JH16 over the JH13 as I prefer the weightier bass...but it is a very fine line.

This is based on my listening on ipods,Cowons and now a DX100 and with a lot of rock music

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #179 of 184
Quote:

Apart from the bass, the biggest difference I have found between the two is that the JH16 sounds great through any device, while the JH13 is much harder to drive and so can sound thin and weedy. Straight out of a DAP the JH16 sounds fuller and more fun, with deep impactful bass - ONLY where it exists in the music. However it still manages to be very clear and let the full mids and sparkly highs cut through without bleeding over them.

In comparison, directly through a DAP, the JH13 tends to sound tinny and flat in comparison. However, add a good amped source and the JH13 become much fuller and richer, while still maintaining their clarity and analytical sound. The highs also seem to be much smoother and less fatiguing (although I think this is an issue with my JH16, which JH Audio are going to look into).

Overall for with my current setup and listening preference, I would choose the JH16 over the JH13 as I prefer the weightier bass...but it is a very fine line.

This is based on my listening on ipods,Cowons and now a DX100 and with a lot of rock music

Thanks for this. Did you mean that the JH13 is much smoother and less fatiguing? I have never used amps before, considering that I always listen to music on the move and on the commute. I guess what you hear and what other people hear is very subjective. I've seen reviews of both the JH13 and JH16 say that JH13 requires little to no amplification at all, while others (like you) think that they do. I listen to rock music too, but I often look out for detail and pay more attention to the highs and mids. Anyway, thanks again, I think the JH13 is perhaps a little more inclined to my tastes. Maybe I'll give the JH16 a go later in the future.

Btw, does anyone know how much JH Audio charges to refit your CIEMs after the 30 days are up? And are you allowed to change the design of the shells?

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #180 of 184
Quote:

The 13 is not harder to drive. It's a couple DB less effecient (116 vs 118) but still very efficient. It has fewer drivers to control and is a higher impedance (28 vs 18) so DAPs are more likely to control it and not change character as much from damping factor issues. Both should be fine for most DAPs and improved with amps but if one needs an amp more, it's the 16 more so than the 13. Another aspect is that if your source has some hiss, the 13 should show over 3 db less due to the combo of impedance and efficiency.

Tonally, I prefer the 13. It doesn't have any extra sparkle or midbass but that's preference. The rest is just physics. It may be more critical of source by having less of it's own character. It has nothing to do with drive capability. Feed it well and you'll be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back