Review: Clash of the Titans (3D) - JH16 Pro vs. JH13 Pro
Apr 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #61 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I wonder if many others will follow suit. May I ask what your reasons were?

Just a few months ago, the JH13 was regarded as the absolute pinnacle in IEMs (and even full-size headphones by some). I guess if you owned the JH13 and never heard about any headphones that came after it, you'd probably be 100% happy and unable to pinpoint any major flaws in it. Now there seem to be a trickle (possibly followed by a flood) of people who own the JH13 also getting the 16, or selling the 13 to buy the 16.

The majority of JH13 owners are probably still fully satisfied, but I wonder how many will succumb to the itch to see what they might be missing in the 16...

X2

I'll be keeping both of them as well and use the JH13s primarily for classical and new age listening.

In terms of the financial impact, this is no different than having a, say, Ultrasone 8/9 and a Sennheiser HD800 because they shine with certain sources/amps or genre.

I'm all portable with no home setup.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #62 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH16 Pro is the new FOTM and people tend to go after the new stuff. I personally, do not understand how one would want more bass than the 13's unless their source isn't up to task. I find the 13's very source revealing. The Protector with my HiFiMAN has perfect bass, now connecting the Protector to my iPod Touch the bass becomes anemic and sterile. The 13's demands a great source while the 16's will color the presentation to adapt to the majority of people's equipments. They're both awesome earphones but it's a bit funny how before the 16's came out the 13's had a MONSTER bass response which had more presence than the majority of other headphones and earphones. Now that the 16's are out the 13's bass is light and not present. LOL.

Yea I think you should try the 16 first before saying such things. Who knows, maybe you'll like them even more than your 13, and decide that your ultimate portable setup can still be improved. Even if you're pretty damn sure you wont like the 16 (because you said the 13 has too much bass already to you), it doesnt hurt to try. At least after trying you'll get reassured that your setup is the best there is for you
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll make sure to try the 16 first before dropping the bomb on the 13. Heard the 13 last week. Un-farking-believable, except as you said it has a touch too much bass. Well I come from a bass-light shure se530, so I may just not be used to it

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #63 of 184
I have owned and heard many headphones considered high-end before buying the JH13 so I know pretty much where my preferences lie in terms of sound. For reference, my favorite full-size headphones is Stax SR-007, which is by no means bass-light. I haven't heard the JH16, but I can say with confidence that any headphones with more bass than the JH13 enters seriously into basshead territory. It's not a bad thing if that's what you like, but people should not buy the misconception that the JH13 are light on bass - that's simply not true.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #64 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned and heard many headphones considered high-end before buying the JH13 so I know pretty much where my preferences lie in terms of sound. For reference, my favorite full-size headphones is Stax SR-007, which is by no means bass-light. I haven't heard the JH16, but I can say with confidence that any headphones with more bass than the JH13 enters seriously into basshead territory. It's not a bad thing if that's what you like, but people should not buy the misconception that the JH13 are light on bass - that's simply not true.

The 13 does have less bass if not amped though. It's still solid just without the punch. But no, they are not bass light at all.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #65 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems like everyone who has owned both the JH13 and the JH16 have all chosen the JH16 as the better IEM. I doubt that would be the case if the JH16 had bass that was overdone or bloated in any way.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #66 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like everyone who has owned both the JH13 and the JH16 have all chosen the JH16 as the better IEM. I doubt that would be the case if the JH16 had bass that was overdone or bloated in any way.

They didn't say it was the "better" IEM, they simply just preferred it. So far it's only been 2 people. Warp and Jude.

But what I'm thinking here is the fact that the JH13's are bit bass light when not properly amplified. Feed them a strong signal and they will spit out bass like it's nothing. The JH16's seems to be the better choice out of the majority of people's rigs since it boosts the bass. The ALO Rx seems to be the only amp I've came across that really shows the JH13 Pro's bass potential.

The JH13 Pro has a 6db boost in the sub bass, so right off the bat it's a bassy earphones. But that boost added more kick and impact to the bass and was actually a welcome. The JH16's adds even more, which in my opinion is a overkill. But that's because I've heard the JH13 Pro through a rig that doesn't cripple it's bass potential.

But, everyone, enjoy your 13's or 16's. I'm enjoying my 13's! =)

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #67 of 184
Quote:

They didn't say it was the "better" IEM, they simply just preferred it. So far it's only been 2 people. Warp and Jude.

I would say their opinion is much more valuable than the other people running around saying the jh16 has too much bass without even hearing it. cough cough

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #68 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of the financial impact, this is no different than having a, say, Ultrasone 8/9 and a Sennheiser HD800 because they shine with certain sources/amps or genre.

True, but to me it makes less sense to own both because it seems like the difference between the JH13 and 16 is much smaller than between top-tier headphones, such as the Ed. 8/9 and the HD800. I thank you for biting the bullet and getting both top-tier JHs so you can offer the public a comparison, but if I had the money, I would go for something that offered a different house sound, i.e. UE18.

Your review was very insightful. It seems like you would favor the JH16 in some songs based on your notes, but ended up choosing the 13. I know it's very subjective, but it was a bit hard to understand the reasoning for some of the preferences. Also, you said that the JH16 offers more than just better quality bass than the 13, but it takes some extrapolation (at least for me) to determine exactly what else is different. A general summary of the key differences in sound signature would have helped me.

Is it fair to say that the 16 offers an expanded headstage and a more visceral/emotional presentation? And what else, besides higher quality bass, can the extra visceral impact be attributed to? Are "headstage" and "headroom" the same for you?

Finally, if you've heard the UM3x, is the JH13/16 difference analogous to the W3/Um3x difference? That is, one aims for neutrality and balance, while the other aims for musicality and fun?

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #69 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say their opinion is much more valuable than the other people running around saying the jh16 has too much bass without even hearing it. cough cough

I would say Jerry Harvey's opinion, actually fact would be much more valuable:

"The 16 isn’t offering better sound. The biggest difference is going to be in the low end. The 16 is more bass heavy than the 13. But as far as detail goes, it’s just as good as the 13."

This is from Jude:

"Long story short on my first impression of the JH16 Pro is this: If you have (or have heard a good demo of) the JH13 Pro, and tend to prefer more bass impact than the JH13 Pro currently has (to my ears, the JH13 Pro doesn't lack for bass at all), then the JH16 Pro will give it to you with no tradeoffs that I can hear. If you don't have the JH13 Pro, and you're trying to decide between it and the JH16 Pro, I'd say to order the JH16 Pro if you've tended to prefer more bass impact in your headphones, and/or if you can say definitively that you tend to prefer your bass stronger than neutral. Order the JH13 Pro if you have a strong preference for neutrality (though the JH13 Pro is not perfectly neutral, it's certainly closer than the JH16 Pro)."

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #71 of 184
Quote:

those facts are fine and dandy, they actually have heard them! I am talking about other people who haven't.

I don't have to hear the 16's, because it's a proven fact the JH16's has more bass presence than the 13's not better bass quality. Jerry Harvey himself who's opinion matters the most says the 16's doesn't offer anymore detail in any frequency over the 13's. The 16's is just more bass heavy. The 13's bass to me and many others is monstrous. Adding anymore bass is entering bass-head territory like someone said earlier. I know for a fact I wouldn't like the 16's because the bass would be in the way of the presentation so therefore I'm not going to buy it. I can buy it right now, but I'm not going to spend $1,150 for the same sound that I'm hearing with more bass. I can use an EQ for that and I wouldn't dare touch an EQ with my 13's. There is nothing that needs reducing or boosting in terms of frequency response. But, I don't want to start an argument here. So, that is what I have to say, the 13's are not lacking in bass at all the 16's just add more bass for those who like more bass. But, I see a misconception growing here where people think the 13's bass is lacking and that is faaaar from true. The 13's has bass in spades. Enjoy your gear guys!

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #72 of 184
Quote:

I don't have to hear the 16's, because it's a proven fact the JH16's has more bass presence than the 13's not better bass quality. Jerry Harvey himself who's opinion matters the most says the 16's doesn't offer anymore detail in any frequency over the 13's. The 16's is just more bass heavy. The 13's bass to me and many others is monstrous. Adding anymore bass is entering bass-head territory like someone said earlier. I know for a fact I wouldn't like the 16's because the bass would be in the way of the presentation so therefore I'm not going to buy it. I can buy it right now, but I'm not going to spend $1,150 for the same sound that I'm hearing with more bass. I can use an EQ for that and I wouldn't dare touch an EQ with my 13's. There is nothing that needs reducing or boosting in terms of frequency response. But, I don't want to start an argument here. So, that is what I have to say, the 13's are not lacking in bass at all the 16's just add more bass for those who like more bass. But, I see a misconception growing here where people think the 13's bass is lacking and that is faaaar from true. The 13's has bass in spades. Enjoy your gear guys!

Sorry, I didn't notice anyone talking about the 13s being bass light, just several posts by people saying the jh16s are too bass heavy by people who haven't actually heard them.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #73 of 184
Quote:

Sorry, I didn't notice anyone talking about the 13s being bass light, just several posts by people saying the jh16s are too bass heavy by people who haven't actually heard them.

Ok, let's make this simpler. The 13's bass is sometimes overpowering but most of the time just right. The 16's are proven to have more bass than the 13's so therefore I can say the 16's have too much bass without hearing it. Get it? =)

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #75 of 184
Quote:

Adding anymore bass is entering bass-head territory like someone said earlier. I know for a fact I wouldn't like the 16's because the bass would be in the way of the presentation so therefore I'm not going to buy it.

There's no need to defend the 13s, there's a massive thread full of people who love them and find nothing wrong with them. I'm sure they're still at least in the top 3 of IEMs. But you can't assume that the 16's bass overpowers the other frequencies, especially when the 2 most detailed reviews of the 16 specifically say that's not the case. It seems Jerry went out of his way to avoid any improper bass bleeding with the extra bore and additional tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back