[Review] CK100PRO Unboxing & Impressions (+ a retrospective journey with Audio-technica and versus CK100)
Apr 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #256 of 356
  I think ...

• first and foremost it is the fit which we discussed previously - finicky and not for everyone
  • secondly it probably is the overall sound signature. Treble focus (which further amplified by bad fit - becomes piercing )
  • thirdly it is the availability (made even worse by the points above, no demand) - this is mostly an Asia-only (almost Japan-only) product

The ck100pro is very difficult to find outside of Asia retailers in Europe and America do not have them in stock / or even don't know them - I visited the AT flagship store in Paris and weren't familiar with it. This says quite something about global availability.

Definitely agree with all those points. I also think the asking price when they were released was considered very high for universal IEMs. The dollar compared to the yen in late 2011/early 2012 was also very low which made these phones between $700-750 if one was trying to import them from japan. By the time they reached wider distribution at a more reasonable price in the US and Europe other high end products were released, that coupled with their looks, fit, and sound signature, contributed to their relative obscurity. Distribution and availability definitely have a lot to do with it to me though, as is evidenced by the Sony EX1000. The EX1000 had a weird fit, very high initial price, has even bigger treble peaks, no isolation, etc., and has gained a much wider audience and more praise. 

Another example is the AKG K3003 which came out at almost the same time. Although the sound signatures and technologies are different, they are IMO comparable IEMs in terms of sound quality and build quality etc, but the AKG (like the Sony), had much more press and better distribution despite having an initial asking price almost double the CK100Pro. The CK100Pro has a very interesting story and it's always fascinating to observe which products garner a lot of attention and which don't. The nice thing about all of this is that at one point they became relatively inexpensive to get new from Japan and their used prices remain very low which means more can enjoy them if hey want without spending a bunch 
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #257 of 356

Definitely agree with all those points. I also think the asking price when they were released was considered very high for universal IEMs. The dollar compared to the yen in late 2011/early 2012 was also very low which made these phones between $700-750 if one was trying to import them from japan. By the time they reached wider distribution at a more reasonable price in the US and Europe other high end products were released, that coupled with their looks, fit, and sound signature, contributed to their relative obscurity. Distribution and availability definitely have a lot to do with it to me though, as is evidenced by the Sony EX1000. The EX1000 had a weird fit, very high initial price, has even bigger treble peaks, no isolation, etc., and has gained a much wider audience and more praise. 

Another example is the AKG K3003 which came out at almost the same time. Although the sound signatures and technologies are different, they are IMO comparable IEMs in terms of sound quality and build quality etc, but the AKG (like the Sony), had much more press and better distribution despite having an initial asking price almost double the CK100Pro. The CK100Pro has a very interesting story and it's always fascinating to observe which products garner a lot of attention and which don't. The nice thing about all of this is that at one point they became relatively inexpensive to get new from Japan and their used prices remain very low which means more can enjoy them if hey want without spending a bunch 
biggrin.gif

Quite true, those that you compared. EX1000, K3003 those were pretty TOTL universal IEM. Well, I got my set used though. It is still pretty new, the housing have no scratch at all surprisingly. I have not heard much about the Ocharaku, Since I don't look into it. Mainly because of the cable could't detach. (not sure about new model)

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #258 of 356

biggrin.gif

Quite true, those that you compared. EX1000, K3003 those were pretty TOTL universal IEM. Well, I got my set used though. It is still pretty new, the housing have no scratch at all surprisingly. I have not heard much about the Ocharaku, Since I don't look into it. Mainly because of the cable could't detach. (not sure about new model)

I think getting the CK100Pro used is a great deal! Their build quality is one of, if not the best of all of the IEMs I've owned or auditioned at length. They should hold up for quite a while. People often sell them quite fast anyway, as it is definitely an phone that requires some patience, so a used one may be virtually new in many cases.  I have the Ocharaku Kaede II and their build is fine. Next to the 100pro they feel a little frail. It does not have detachable cables and although the cables seems a little flimsy, it might not be the case. Looks can often be deceiving and they might hold up quite well, but they don't feel impressive in the hand.  I do not know why so many TOTL IEMs go for the straight plug though. It makes no sense to me but their might be some reasoning behind it that I am not aware of. 

The cable of the 100Pro is by far one of the nicest, if not the nicest I have used, for my uses at least. It's supple, non-microphonic, very sturdy feeling, and does not tangle easily at all. If you are a little patient with these phones, you may be rewarded greatly. But like all phones, they definitely have some obvious issues. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #259 of 356

biggrin.gif

interesting observations. I agree, although I am not sure whether the EX1000 is that spiky - I cannot comment as I never auditioned them, only saying from what I have heard and read.

I also think that AT needs to rethink its marketing approach, the consistency of their house sound and brand recognition outside of Japan.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #260 of 356
  I think getting the CK100Pro used is a great deal! Their build quality is one of, if not the best of all of the IEMs I've owned or auditioned at length. They should hold up for quite a while. People often sell them quite fast anyway, as it is definitely an phone that requires some patience, so a used one may be virtually new in many cases.  I have the Ocharaku Kaede II and their build is fine. Next to the 100pro they feel a little frail. It does not have detachable cables and although the cables seems a little flimsy, it might not be the case. Looks can often be deceiving and they might hold up quite well, but they don't feel impressive in the hand.  I do not know why so many TOTL IEMs go for the straight plug though. It makes no sense to me but their might be some reasoning behind it that I am not aware of. 

The cable of the 100Pro is by far one of the nicest, if not the nicest I have used, for my uses at least. It's supple, non-microphonic, very sturdy feeling, and does not tangle easily at all. If you are a little patient with these phones, you may be rewarded greatly. But like all phones, they definitely have some obvious issues. 

It is true that some IEM having non detachable cable are really sturdy. But ever since last incident that happen to me 4 months back, when I actually bought a new set ATH CKR10. After 2 weeks of usage, the IEM have cable imbalance issue. Which is the cable at fault, as I need to yank the cable to get the right sound to 1 side of the earpiece. I won't say I'm a typical user of IEM. As I keep my stuff meticulously. Once I'm done listening I would wrap it, lightly and put back into the case. Thankfully, Amazon JP is willing to refund me with the shipping fee back to them of course. So ya, that is what makes me feel worried when ever someone mention the IEM I like have no user replaceable cable. I find the CK100PRO cable very unique, as it does't have the memory wire part like the shure SE215. Sturdy at the same time. 

Not sure are you guys a believer of burn in or not (A lot of debates about dynamic have more changes than in BA driver) . But My CK100PRO treble spike has disappear after 39 hours of burn in. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #261 of 356
  It is true that some IEM having non detachable cable are really sturdy. But ever since last incident that happen to me 4 months back, when I actually bought a new set ATH CKR10. After 2 weeks of usage, the IEM have cable imbalance issue. Which is the cable at fault, as I need to yank the cable to get the right sound to 1 side of the earpiece. I won't say I'm a typical user of IEM. As I keep my stuff meticulously. Once I'm done listening I would wrap it, lightly and put back into the case. Thankfully, Amazon JP is willing to refund me with the shipping fee back to them of course. So ya, that is what makes me feel worried when ever someone mention the IEM I like have no user replaceable cable. I find the CK100PRO cable very unique, as it does't have the memory wire part like the shure SE215. Sturdy at the same time. 

Not sure are you guys a believer of burn in or not (A lot of debates about dynamic have more changes than in BA driver) . But My CK100PRO treble spike has disappear after 39 hours of burn in. 

I definitely have had similar issues with non-detachable cables. I have also had issues with MMCX detachable cables wearing out and losing connection, or causing channel imbalance. It seems like it is unfortunately a crap shoot with cables, and I have read that the some have had issues with the MMCX connector on the CK100Pro. 

I don't really have any concrete views in terms of burn in but I do think the CK100Pro's sound signature takes some time to get used to. They are also pretty sensitive to poorly recorded material.  

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #262 of 356
  I definitely have had similar issues with non-detachable cables. I have also had issues with MMCX detachable cables wearing out and losing connection, or causing channel imbalance. It seems like it is unfortunately a crap shoot with cables, and I have read that the some have had issues with the MMCX connector on the CK100Pro. 

I don't really have any concrete views in terms of burn in but I do think the CK100Pro's sound signature takes some time to get used to. They are also pretty sensitive to poorly recorded material.  

Heard a few case regarding the CK100pro MMCX connector broke. 1 case in Singapore another in elsewhere which i forget. 

It is the same song and source that I use to test. 

I wonder how do i actually use the cable winder that is provided by ATH. Anyone mind showing me how to use it correctly? I use to put the housing on the mold first then proceed winding up. But where do I place the L jack?

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #264 of 356
  How do these compare to the CKR10? I know they are totally different technology and sound signature but you have any impressions you'd care to share in terms of soundstage and technical abilities? 

CKR10 have a more forward, fuller mids. I have heard someone mention that the CKR10 is tune in favour for vocal track.  Sound signature is far different than CK100PRO. Soundstage wise, IIRC. The CK100Pro will have wider soundstage. CKR can have tad bit bigger soundstage only by using Spiral Dot tips. It sound warmer as well. But in times it may sound congested in fast paced track. Bass wise, surely is the CKR10. Fx850 have more bass and better quality. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #265 of 356
  CKR10 have a more forward, fuller mids. I have heard someone mention that the CKR10 is tune in favour for vocal track.  Sound signature is far different than CK100PRO. Soundstage wise, IIRC. The CK100Pro will have wider soundstage. CKR can have tad bit bigger soundstage only by using Spiral Dot tips. It sound warmer as well. But in times it may sound congested in fast paced track. Bass wise, surely is the CKR10. Fx850 have more bass and better quality. 

Thanks for the impressions! I have been curious about this IEM as AT has such a wide range of products and I have not had the chance to listen to some that seem very interesting. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #266 of 356
  Thanks for the impressions! I have been curious about this IEM as AT has such a wide range of products and I have not had the chance to listen to some that seem very interesting. 

Due to only owning that IEM for only 2 weeks. I find the fit on the CKR is more problematic than this.  YMMV though. There is no successor for this CK100pro? I read the IM02 is better in treble somewhere.. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #267 of 356
found the thread:

The successor of the ck100p is the im03. it doesn't has the peak in the treble due revised drivers.
The sound sognature is exactly the same. however the size of the 03 is roughly twice the 100s.
The im02 is not better in the treble section it just a smoother. What you prefer is up to you.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #268 of 356
found the thread:

The successor of the ck100p is the im03. it doesn't has the peak in the treble due revised drivers.
The sound sognature is exactly the same. however the size of the 03 is roughly twice the 100s.
The im02 is not better in the treble section it just a smoother. What you prefer is up to you.

Now I haven't heard both CK100 Pro and IM3 at the same time, but as far as sound signature goes, they can't be further apart. CK100 Pro is fairly neutral and balanced while lively and bright, where iM3 is stage monitor tuned, thick, warm and smooth.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #270 of 356

Now I haven't heard both CK100 Pro and IM3 at the same time, but as far as sound signature goes, they can't be further apart. CK100 Pro is fairly neutral and balanced while lively and bright, where iM3 is stage monitor tuned, thick, warm and smooth.

I've even put them into my ears at the same time with a splitter (left Ck100p, right im03), because they sounded too similar to me. :D
The result was coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back