Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Aug 25, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #451 of 694
  Most people on this forum never use the computer volume as that will cause a loss of fidelity by controlling volume in the digital domain. For the best sound quality, you always want your computer volume set at 100% and control volume through the volume pot on your device, which operates in the analog domain.

Great post, that's what's up. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #453 of 694
Most people on this forum never use the computer volume as that will cause a loss of fidelity by controlling volume in the digital domain. For the best sound quality, you always want your computer volume set at 100% and control volume through the volume pot on your device, which operates in the analog domain.

The control on the DACport Slim is digital as well though. That's the reason why the noise floor does not decrease when you adjust the volume.

Digital is nice. I prefer it over analogue as cheaper dac/amps with analogue controls really show all the issues with that type of volume adjuster.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #454 of 694
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm

If your music playback software can be set for zero-padding to 24-bit, you can get 48db of "bitperfect" digital volume control when playing 16-bit redbook content. That is, only the zero padded bits would be affected by volume control, while the actual music samples will remain as-is. Foobar and JRiver do this. Windows build-in volume won't (it will re-sample and give nasty artifacts). Not sure about Macs. You can get even bigger volume control range by padding to 32-bit. Maybe this is how DACport works inside? Anyway, when done properly, digital volume control can be flawless.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #455 of 694
If anyone is in the market for an upgrade in audio clarity/fidelity and want to stay in the CEntrance family, check out the DACport HD and the DACportable.  Both sound amazing to my ears!  I'll have thoughts on both in an upcoming CanJam London 2016 post!

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #456 of 694
The control on the DACport Slim is digital as well though. That's the reason why the noise floor does not decrease when you adjust the volume.

Digital is nice. I prefer it over analogue as cheaper dac/amps with analogue controls really show all the issues with that type of volume adjuster.

Ah, I had no idea. I know there are many tricks to do it correctly, but just doing it through windows sounds terrible. I'm not sure about Macs, honestly, but had heard that it wasn't ideal there either. Either way, it's still best to use the adjustment on the device as it was optimized for that.

Thank you for the clarification.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #457 of 694
Ah, I had no idea. I know there are many tricks to do it correctly, but just doing it through windows sounds terrible. I'm not sure about Macs, honestly, but had heard that it wasn't ideal there either. Either way, it's still best to use the adjustment on the device as it was optimized for that.

Thank you for the clarification.

Yeah, though windows has gotten a lot better in terms of audio so I personally don't care that much. The physical is much or convenient compared to controlling it via the OS, but I can see why people might want to control the audio that way instead of just via the dac.

Never used a Mac so I also can't say much about that. I can control the audio via my cellphones volume control when I plug the dac in so I'm sure there must be some way to do that via a Mac. Maybe contact CEntrance and see if they have a solution? It might just be a setup issue.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #458 of 694
With the DACportable and my iPhone 6, you have no choice but to change the volume on the DAC/amp itself - which I have no problem with at all.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #460 of 694
So here is a strange thing on the noise-floor/hiss issue:

I recently changed the pads on my Sonorous VIs to the "Type C"

I then used the Slim for the first time in a while for a long listening session...and the hiss has gone from being very prevalent to almost non-existant!

I am not sure if:

• Pads have made a difference (surprising as the fit is tighter and my ears are closer to the drivers)
  • Something has changed on the DAC? (It is the longest I have used it, but I can't image burn-in being a factor for this device nor leading to reduced noise floor if it was)
  • My hearing is suddenly getting worse!

I know the obvious thing to do is to try the other pads, but the old ones are a bit worse for wear and I don't want to keep putting them on and then off at the moment if I can help it, less I rip the seams...

Weird.

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #463 of 694
Centrance's website has been 404 for a while now, anyone know what the hell is up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back