Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Jun 28, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #361 of 694

Thanks a lot for the review! Especially the firmware upgrade link!
Honestly CEntrance website is not very user friendly for getting support when we have problem.

I had issue with USB compatibility on my HP 2560p EliteBook. None of the USB ports were compatible with the DACport Slim. Spent hours to troubleshoot until I read about that firmware upgrade that eventually solved the USB compatibility issue. I ordered the DACport Slim recently in October from Massdrop, but seems that I got the older batch with old firmware.

I have another problem with DACport Slim and Foobar2000 v1.3.3.
Most of the time I use foobar WASAPI driver with all my DACs, and so far all my DACs are compatible with the WASAPI driver, and automatically switch the sampling rate accordingly when I switch from one sampling rate to other sampling rate. The problem is, DACport Slim is not compatible with the WASAPI driver. So, when switching sampling rate, or if we have a compilation of different tracks with different sampling rates, for example moving from 24/96 files to 24/44 files, I got error:

"Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels"

Then I have to go to CEntrace control panel and switch the sampling rate manually in order to play the file. Very very annoying!
The option of 'ASIO host can change' the sampling rate never worked so far.

Does anyone have the solution how to make CEntrace DACport Slim compatible with WASAPI driver?

Thank you!

How are you getting option to choose output rate and frequency? AlI I see is latency on mine, using latest version.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #362 of 694
  How are you getting option to choose output rate and frequency? AlI I see is latency on mine, using latest version.

Really? The Cetrance driver that I installed has the option to select sampling rate.
Anyway, so far the solution that works for me is by using the Centrance ASIO driver in foobar as shown below. The sampling rate will automatically follow the source.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #363 of 694
Just to confirm, these are drivers you guys are talking about not firmware correct? I'm on Linux, so a driver isn't needed, however if we're talking about firmware updates that CEntrance is releasing for bug fixes, improvements, etc to the SlimHD itself then I need to stay on top of it more!

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #365 of 694
@moedawg140
I found a small discrepancy in your review where you say 
  1. Full volume, low gain setting configured as straight line out
But the Centrance manual says "Full volume, high gain setting configured as straight line out"

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #366 of 694
@moedawg140

I found a small discrepancy in your review where you say 
  • Full volume, low gain setting configured as straight line out
But the Centrance manual says "Full volume, high gain setting configured as straight line out"

Yes, I am aware - I need to verify that with CEntrance since the manual was updated since I received my DACport Slim originally.

Thank you, and when I get around to updating the review (I'm driving to Las Vegas for the 4th this morning), I will mention it as an update in the review thread (as a new post in this thread) as well.

Thanks again! :beerchug:

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #367 of 694
CEntrance responded to my Gain inquiry, and everything is good to go (here is the up-to-date information):

"The HIGH GAIN setting is also appropriate when using the output as a line level output. Turn the volume knob to the max and leave the gain switch at HIGH. This will configure the 3.5mm output for line level."

This above stated is also reflected in the review (first post of thread) under Basic features:.

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #368 of 694
CEntrance responded to my Gain inquiry, and everything is good to go (here is the up-to-date information):

"The HIGH GAIN setting is also appropriate when using the output as a line level output. Turn the volume knob to the max and leave the gain switch at HIGH. This will configure the 3.5mm output for line level."

This above stated is also reflected in the review (first post of thread) under Basic features:.

Yes, CEntrance confirmed that they made a mistake in the Massdrop discussion section and have updated their manual accordingly. I hope more people spread word about this small update.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #369 of 694
Yes, CEntrance confirmed that they made a mistake in the Massdrop discussion section and have updated their manual accordingly. I hope more people spread word about this small update.

No worries.  As long as people read my review, people will have the most up-to-date details!  
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #371 of 694
Here's some more info on the DacPort Slim, from CEntrance on the Massdrop discussion section:

Output power (preliminary):
16Ω: 250mW max, per channel
32Ω: 225mW max, per channel
300Ω: 52mW, max, per channel
Jitter: Below 1ps.

I can't believe I didn't see this before even though I was looking for it for quite some time. It was right there on the first few pages of the discussion.:blink:

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #372 of 694
Just got mine. Very nice indeed. I was somewhat surprised that it couldn't drive well 64ohm earbuds without the gain switch to high (the highest volume does not appeal when not adjusted to night hearing) - at which point I imagine it can drive anything.
Using the Cygnus earbuds I am fairly certain it is superior to the Dragonfly, if nothing else I can confirm that I can hear more happening in the background (Karajan 1963,2014 Beethoven Symphonies).

It is certainly superior to the E10K.

Edit: It does run pretty hot, well within tolerance in contact with the skin though. And it doesn't matter which gain you use. Not really a complaint, just something to note.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #373 of 694
  Just got mine. Very nice indeed. I was somewhat surprised that it couldn't drive well 64ohm earbuds without the gain switch to high - at which point I imagine it can drive anything.
Using the Cygnus earbuds I am fairly certain it is superior to the Dragonfly, if nothing else I can confirm that I can hear more happening in the background (Karajan 1963,2014 Beethoven Symphonies).

It is certainly superior to the E10K.

Out of curiosity, what are those 64 ohm earbuds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back